Who could be our new coach?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you replace a coach mid-season you usually get stuck with whatever mediocre coach is doing TV commentary at the time.

Dan Bylsma and Crawford are former Cup winners working as assistants so would have to wait til the offseason. What coaches are available right now? Potentially Sutter if he's sick or ranching or whatever it is he does. But we all know if Maurice is fired mid-season Carlyle is the new coach.

I think it is common practice to let assistants go to become head coaches. Not sure about mid season but I think they would be let go.

But if not, we get the interim coach thing. That may not be a bad idea anyway. Give Pascal a chance to show what he can do.

Reactions: hn777 and Mbraunm

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If you replace a coach mid-season you usually get stuck with whatever mediocre coach is doing TV commentary at the time.

Dan Bylsma and Crawford are former Cup winners working as assistants so would have to wait til the offseason. What coaches are available right now? Potentially Sutter if he's sick or ranching or whatever it is he does. But we all know if Maurice is fired mid-season Carlyle is the new coach.

Former Cup winners doesn't mean too much. I mean, there's a reason these guys are just assistants now.

Yogi141

Feb 24, 2018
I would bring in Daryll Sutter for the balance of the year. They may not win a lot but you can bet they would learn how to play defence!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Todd Nelson would be my pick

But I find that Joel Quenneville or Alain Vigneault would've been the best bets for success.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
I'd like to go offboard and try a coach from Finland

Well there is Jukka Jalonen, who is the only coach besides Babcock to have won both WJC and WC (twice) gold medals in IIHF tournaments. But we all know that doesn't matter, NHL coaching vacancy is the only position in the world (besides the president) where you can't get hired if you were born in the wrong continent o_O.

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 2.43.20 PM.png

We need another guy that's good with the media...

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Todd Nelson would be my pick

But I find that Joel Quenneville or Alain Vigneault would've been the best bets for success.
I know Coach Q is off the board, but did AV pick up a job?

Also, Hawerchuk? Is that a possibility? I thought I'd heard he was taking some he time away from Barrie, but maybe I'm wrong?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I want the Jets and Columbus to fire their coaches around the same time and each pick up the other's cast-off. Of course we'll need one of these for the Return of Maurice. No shortage of pictures of PoMo getting beet-faced on the bench. :laugh:

head-coach-john-tortorella-of-the-vancouver-canucks-sets-his-lineup-picture-id479896781

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I want the Jets and Columbus to fire their coaches around the same time and each pick up the other's cast-off. Of course we'll need one of these for the Return of Maurice. No shortage of pictures of PoMo getting beet-faced on the bench. :laugh:

head-coach-john-tortorella-of-the-vancouver-canucks-sets-his-lineup-picture-id479896781

I wonder how Torts would react to getting nothing but softball questions from the media? :laugh:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winnipeg needs a Winner, a coach who has coached in Winnipeg, a coach who won the Jack Adams Trophy, and most importantly like Winnipeg his last name must start with a "W". I am talking about Tom Watt! He is ONLY 84 years old! We need his wisdom and 1980s mindset!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I hear that Dustin Byfuglien is available. Maybe if we offer him the player-coach job he would take it. A modern day Doug Harvey player-coach defenseman.

Do I need to put a 'just kidding' emoji on this one?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
View attachment 261949

Deserves as shot, merrits speak for themselves, tactical genious, great at developing young talent and would not p***yfoot with wheeler and scheiff.

Only problem is zero nhl expierience ant majpee littell inglizh nat soou gutt!

The only problem is that for team performance, the difference between a good & bad athmosphere is larger than good & almost-as-good tactics

He might be a very good coach on the tactical side, but he would lose so much with his language barrier that I don't think he'll be a head coach in the NHL

Might get a gig as an assistant coach / video coach / adviser to the head coach or something like that

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
MOD NOTE: This thread is to discuss candidates who might be out there to become the Jets next Head Coach. It is not a discussion on the current Head Coach or his performance. A thread exists for that already.

Reminder to people to stay on topic and what the topic is.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The last couple seasons the Jets have been a far better team than they were in their whole Atlanta history. We have one of the best young cores in the game most locked up long term on nice contracts. Even a set back year like this looks to be more likely than not a Wildcard team. Chevy will out live 99% of posters on this board.
Finnish in the bottom 10 year after year and drafting top 10 talent is not a skill. Anyone can do it. Going into year with a dcore with less then 500 games experience with 3 months notice and doing squat about it is criminal. Still a worse gm them maurice is a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad