Recalled/Assigned: Who comes up next?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Do you remember when everyone talked about Landon Ferraro for years coming up and taking Drew Miller's and thriving? He came up and got destroyed at this level. Couldn't even clear the puck on the PK. I think it's a similar case with Russo. I don't think he's ready.

Russo definitely played sheltered minutes last year and ran into trouble at times. I know it was preseason but he looked pretty bad this season there. I think Nick Jensen can come up and honestly, maybe fit in well with Kronwall or Ouellet. His skating is too good. He'd be passable in sheltered minutes. I'd be okay with Russo if we didn't have Green and Sproul playing an offensive role.

Sproul already plays a sheltered role defensively. Jensen makes sense to me. Russo gets a bigger role in Grand Rapids.

I remember some hype about Ferraro, but that's completely different. Ferraro probably could replace Miller or a Miller-like player if given the uncontested chance. (Hell, Miller is Miller because he was given an uncontested chance.) That speaks to experience and acceptance of a role more than anything. Ferraro could be Miller if he's ready to accept that his NHL future is as an NHL 4th liner, and then gets a chance to prove that on a low-level team for an extended period of time.

But the Jensen vs. Russo discussion isn't comparable. Jensen is competent for the same reason Lashoff and Miller and Glendening (and potentially Ferraro) are competent, and its through rote experience in a designated role. Jensen is sound at AHL hockey. Nothing I've seen suggests its because he has some IQ or vision that elevates his game. Russo is different. He may not be as polished now but he has the higher IQ and better vision (and more skill).

As for players playing sheltered roles or not - pretty much everyone is rolling with the punches outside of Dekeyser and Green. I don't think replacing Russo with Smith (or even Kronwall) is going to make matters worse, especially if we stick with the gameplan of moving the puck out of the zone by utilizing our forwards.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don't know why I said quality. I thought about it but meant to say. Top 6 skill player

I get what you're saying, but Svech isn't a top 6 skill player yet. Not even in the AHL. His capabilities are those of a skilled AHL 3rd liner as of now. His ceiling may be very high but hes far from it as of now. :(

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If we're calling up a D to definitely play, I could get behind Russo. If we're looking at a guy to come up, sit for a number of games, maybe see action a couple of times, I'd go with Jensen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad