Recalled/Assigned: Who comes up next?

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
If Kronner can play next game there's no need for a call up. I think that our D is finally at its optimal lineup if so.

If somebody else is called up for any reason it's probably Nosek, even though I would much rather see Svechnikov or Frk.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ott is back, as is Kronwall.

I'd really prefer they call up Russo but I don't see them needing a forward at this time.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Everyone. Like me who is voting for svech just wants the quality player. We all know it would be nosek or callahan

Oct 18, 2006
Frk's playing well in GR, 6 goals 10 games. But if we recall him, and eventually players return, we'd have to waive him again right? Risky.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Jurco+Kronwall. Is a call-up needed after that? Would like to see Russo if so.

We're rolling with no spares by the sounds of things. What if someone is under the weather, or a player goes down on a road trip? Not to mention Kronny in back to back nights.

Jurco could be a few weeks away with that stiffness in his back. Ideally he plays some more games with Grand Rapids first.

I kind of like Martin Frk as I think he's a better option in the top nine than Luke Glendening honstly.

I like Nick Jensen. I think he's better at the NHL level right now than Russo. He's the safer option and is speed with Smith going down, potentially for a bit.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Ott comes in, Kronwall comes back. No call ups

Ott and Kronwall were the extras. We still need extras.

I'd go with Nosek or Callahan and use them as the 13th forwards for the next few games until Jurco has a handful of AHL games under his belt.

Then my call-up would be Jensen if it's for the press box, but if there's a road trip, I'd bring up Russo. He has an NHL future. Jensen doesn't. We need to see what he's got before it's all said and done.

Edit: People seem to be forgetting that Marchenko is injured right now - not scratched. Kronwall was our #7 tonight. We need another defenseman with Smith and March out, even with Kronwall and XO in.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Ott and Kronwall were the extras. We still need extras.

I'd go with Nosek or Callahan and use them as the 13th forwards for the next few games until Jurco has a handful of AHL games under his belt.

Then my call-up would be Jensen if it's for the press box, but if there's a road trip, I'd bring up Russo. He has an NHL future. Jensen doesn't. We need to see what he's got before it's all said and done.

Edit: People seem to be forgetting that Marchenko is injured right now - not scratched. Kronwall was our #7 tonight. We need another defenseman with Smith and March out, even with Kronwall and XO in.

I think Nick Jensen plays over 100 games in the NHL. Jensen can PK a bit. I just don't see the need for all of Green, Sproul and Russo.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think Nick Jensen plays over 100 games in the NHL. Jensen can PK a bit. I just don't see the need for all of Green, Sproul and Russo.

I'm not going to say Jensen definitely won't get 100 NHL games with some team - bizarre things happen when injuries strike - but I would confidently bet against Jensen playing more than a sporadic ~35 games in the NHL.

We disagreed about this in the other thread, where it wasn't really the place to debate, but here I'll say that I don't think Jensen has NHL IQ - Russo does. Jensen is the safer player at the AHL level, sure, but that means next to nothing at his stage. He's a comfortable minor-league vet, Russo still has an unpolished ceiling to reach.

As for having Green/Sproul/Russo, I don't see the problem. For all the (relative) defensive diatribes against them, Green and Sproul are more than competent defensively, and Russo, at this level, wouldn't be the risky player (he's never been that guy to begin with). In my opinion, he's the inverse of Jensen because of their IQ - Jensen is the confused guy at this level; Russo is the simplified guy at this level.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I'm not going to say Jensen definitely won't get 100 NHL games with some team - bizarre things happen when injuries strike - but I would confidently bet against Jensen playing more than a sporadic ~35 games in the NHL.

We disagreed about this in the other thread, where it wasn't really the place to debate, but here I'll say that I don't think Jensen has NHL IQ - Russo does. Jensen is the safer player at the AHL level, sure, but that means next to nothing at his stage. He's a comfortable minor-league vet, Russo still has an unpolished ceiling to reach.

As for having Green/Sproul/Russo, I don't see the problem. For all the (relative) defensive diatribes against them, Green and Sproul are more than competent defensively, and Russo, at this level, wouldn't be the risky player (he's never been that guy to begin with). In my opinion, he's the inverse of Jensen because of their IQ - Jensen is the confused guy at this level; Russo is the simplified guy at this level.

Do you remember when everyone talked about Landon Ferraro for years coming up and taking Drew Miller's and thriving? He came up and got destroyed at this level. Couldn't even clear the puck on the PK. I think it's a similar case with Russo. I don't think he's ready.

Russo definitely played sheltered minutes last year and ran into trouble at times. I know it was preseason but he looked pretty bad this season there. I think Nick Jensen can come up and honestly, maybe fit in well with Kronwall or Ouellet. His skating is too good. He'd be passable in sheltered minutes. I'd be okay with Russo if we didn't have Green and Sproul playing an offensive role.

Sproul already plays a sheltered role defensively. Jensen makes sense to me. Russo gets a bigger role in Grand Rapids.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Do you remember when everyone talked about Landon Ferraro for years coming up and taking Drew Miller's and thriving? He came up and got destroyed at this level. Couldn't even clear the puck on the PK. I think it's a similar case with Russo. I don't think he's ready.

Russo definitely played sheltered minutes last year and ran into trouble at times. I know it was preseason but he looked pretty bad this season there. I think Nick Jensen can come up and honestly, maybe fit in well with Kronwall or Ouellet. His skating is too good. He'd be passable in sheltered minutes. I'd be okay with Russo if we didn't have Green and Sproul playing an offensive role.

Sproul already plays a sheltered role defensively. Jensen makes sense to me. Russo gets a bigger role in Grand Rapids.
We have pretty much nothing to gain from calling up Jensen. He's not what the team needs now or in the future.

This team needs to do everything they can do sort of get over the hump of not having enough skill to execute on plays. The trick is to bring in players like Mantha, AA, Sproul, and maybe Russo or Svechnikov. And maybe eventually you start seeing a team that is able to put on more pressure offensively and isn't constantly stuck in the defensive zone.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Well considering Svech doesn't look very good in the AHL calling him up is probably a poor idea.

yeah he's just flat out not ready

Frk is probably the right pick if possible upside is what you're looking for,probably not worth putting him back on waivers just to get like 1-2 games in though

anyways I voted for Russo/Nosek

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I don't think they need to call up a forward. Jurco could be ready to go by Tuesday's game, whether he actually plays over Ott is up in the air.

As for D, might not need to call up one either, it depends how serious Smith's injury is. If we do call up someone, IMO it'll most likely be someone who doesn't need to clear waivers, which would eliminate 2 of the 3 D listed. I'll go off the board and say Renouf for no real reason other than he'll be stuck in the press box.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes, yes, yes.

Get me defensemen that can move the puck in transition competently.

So let's put Kronwall back in.

Our defence will be at their best on next games whoever are in the TOP6, because the biggest black hole in Red Wings Universe, Brendan Smith, is off from the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad