Line Combos: Who comes out of the line up when fully healthy (playoffs)

Who comes out?

• Total voters

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Gally - Matthews - Marner (all around line 1)

Hyman - Tavares - Nylander (all around line 2)

Foligno - Kerfoot - Mikheyev (shutdown line)

Simmonds - Nash - Spezza

when we need to close out a game, switch Kerfoot with Nash

Reactions: TopCheese

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think our best possible lineup considering chemistry and playstyles is this:

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Folgino-Tavares-Hyman
Galchenyuk-Kerfoot-Spezza
Mikheyev-Nash-Simmonds

Willy has looked frustrated all year playing with JT. JT is gonna be much better off with the grinders line that dominates with force instead of skill.

I like this a lot, though would consider flipping Nylander and Galchenyuk to have Willy play the matchup buster, with Soup taking a couple of changes on the fly to keep Spezza's minutes down

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Gally-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Micheyev
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Engvall and Thornton are use as depth depending on need or play of other players.

If Gally struggles you have flexibility to move Hyman up with Matthews and Simmonds up with Kerfoot. Lots of flexibility and ability to line juggle with this lineup.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd run a line that can take some tough zone starts from the top 6

Galchenyuk Matthews Marner
Hyman Tavares Nylander
Foligno Engvall Mikheyev
Simmonds/Thornton Kerfoot Spezza

I'D play Nash instead of Engvall but until he's fit to play I won't put him in lineups

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Nylander Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Hyman
Mikheyev Kerfoot Galchenyuk
---------- Spezza Simmonds
Robertson/Engvall/Thornton

Matthews & Marner are now capable enough defensively to keep the GA down.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Nylander Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Hyman
Mikheyev Kerfoot Galchenyuk
---------- Spezza Simmonds
Robertson/Engvall/Thornton

Matthews & Marner are now capable enough defensively to keep the GA down.

I came here to post almost these exact lines. Galchenyuk and Mikheyev should switch wings... and Riley Nash should be in contention for that last spot on the 4th line.

The top line would be insane.
Second line with Tavares would be the perfect shutdown/grinder line that will probably also score quite a bit.
Third line has some potential.
Vets on the 4th line, playing limited minutes, but hopefully making an impact. Spezza has been good all year. I would like to see Robertson get the last spot.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Ferraro on overdrive gave his lineup and its similar to what i said in the foligno thread

foligno and hyman gotta be in your top 6. Solid players who’s play will be even more valuable come playoff time. Need both to grind the top 2 lines and get us going. Second line has been soso all year but JT has looked better. Foligno with him will be good. Third line all about hustle and D. Those guys can play and suitable for a 3rd line. I like nash over engvall and kerfoot. He’ll be a good defensive centre.
4th line is probably musical chairs. No one is consistent enough.

hyman - matty - marner
Foligno - jt - nylander
Mikky - Nash - Gally
Simmonds/Thornton - kerfoot - Spezza

top 6 stacked. Well balanced and with huge scoring punches. Thats what you want. Third line is solid and gritty. Can matchup and score odd goal. 4th wont play much anyway.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
hyman - matty - marner
Foligno - jt - nylander
Mikky - Nash - Gally
Simmonds/Thornton - kerfoot - Spezza

The only issue I see here is that assuming Nash isn't back before the playoffs that third line will have spent zero minutes playing together when the post-season starts.

A safer play would be Nash starting on the 4th line with Kerfoot moving up. Even then I'm still not sold on dressing a guy for the first game of the playoffs who hasn't played in weeks and has never played for this team. If there's an injury to starter or two, then fine, that's what trading for depth is for. Otherwise, let's just hope he can somehow get back and get a few games in before the end of the season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
On the last Leafs report the guys said that when the Leafs resigned Spezza they did so yelling him they planned to rest him in all back to backs. Then weren't bake to do so beacuse of injuries and roster balancing this season.

Wonder if they maybe plan to switch him and Thornton out for each other in the playoffs.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
galchenyuk - matthews - marner
(hyman is better player but gally has just as much offense, maybe more, which can also make the line scary)

foligno - tavares - nylander
(strong defensive vet that does the other things well with enough offense left in tank, perfect fit for jt and willy)

hyman - kerfoot - mikheyev
(in playoffs you cant have a 3rd line that doesnt give it to you every night and chip in once in awhile, other two lw cant help a line like hyman does and hyman and mikheyev kinda look good together, and having kerfoot might just give us enough offense)

after that 4th line can be altered depending on match ups or whoever is playing good imo

spezza - engvall - simmonds
thornton/robertson
(spezza can center with joe or nick in if you want more offense, engvall in if you want more D, if you down in series and need more O im sure engvall sits and vice versa)

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Playoffs:

Galch - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Spezza/Jumbo - Nash/Engvall - Simmonds

Next Season:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Foligno - Nash/Cizikas - Goodrow
Mikheyev - Engvall - Anderson/Simmonds
Spezza

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Folgino - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Engvall - Nash - Mikheyev (Shutdown)
Simmonds - Kerfoot - Spezza

Gally is out and Joe too

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Everyone needs to remember that the goal for the Leafs is to have 4 lines every game that they can trust in any situation. 4 lines that when put on the ice have a purpose. 4 lines that have their strengths. The acquisitions of Foligno and Nash allows for this. The main driver to make all line effective is placing Hyman on a 3rd line that has been inconsistent throughout the year. Which ever line Hyman is a part of thrives.

Can Matthews and Tavares lines still be a threat with Gally and Foligno on them? The answer should be yes as are top 4 offensive players are on those lines. So who ever plays with them should make an impact. This team for the last 4 playoffs has been missing a shutdown 3rd line and a 4th line that is competent against the opposition. With Hyman on the 3rd line and Nash on the 4th line. This accomplishes what is needed.

The lineup will and should be:

Gally-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Micheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Engvall and Thornton are the extras going into the playoffs. Having the bottom 6 together as such provides great defense, above average hockey IQ, grit and experience. That 3rd line not only acts as a shutdown line, but a line that will outwork pretty much any line on any other team.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Think the Leafs should go with a top 9 of:

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Hyman
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Nylander

The Tavares line would be one of the hardest lines to play against in the playoffs. And the only forward who Nylander has shown any kind of chemistry with this year is Kerfoot.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Galchenyuk - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Nash - Foligno
*Simmonds/Robertson - Kerfoot - Spezza

*Depends on the matchup along with how well they're playing.

One nice thing about Foligno & Nash together is that Foligno can take all of the left side draws; either one can play center as well.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner (skill scoring)
Foligno-Tavares-Hyman (grind scoring)
Robertson-Kerfoot-Nylander (speed scoring)
Mikheyev-Nash-Spezza (all around play)
Thornton-Engvall-Simmonds (extras)

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Everyone needs to remember that the goal for the Leafs is to have 4 lines every game that they can trust in any situation. 4 lines that when put on the ice have a purpose. 4 lines that have their strengths. The acquisitions of Foligno and Nash allows for this. The main driver to make all line effective is placing Hyman on a 3rd line that has been inconsistent throughout the year. Which ever line Hyman is a part of thrives.

Can Matthews and Tavares lines still be a threat with Gally and Foligno on them? The answer should be yes as are top 4 offensive players are on those lines. So who ever plays with them should make an impact. This team for the last 4 playoffs has been missing a shutdown 3rd line and a 4th line that is competent against the opposition. With Hyman on the 3rd line and Nash on the 4th line. This accomplishes what is needed.

The lineup will and should be:

Gally-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Micheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Engvall and Thornton are the extras going into the playoffs. Having the bottom 6 together as such provides great defense, above average hockey IQ, grit and experience. That 3rd line not only acts as a shutdown line, but a line that will outwork pretty much any line on any other team.
Terrific line up card
Gally-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Micheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Reactions: TopCheese

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
FWIW Riley Nash's original recovery timetable has him coming back between May 6th and May 2oth. The playoffs start on the 11th, so it seems likely he'll miss somewhere between 1 and 5 playoff games. He's already old and slow so with him coming off of a knee injury you probably want to give him closer to his full recovery time.

I do think when he is healthy that he should figure into the top 12. He's a very smart defensive forward. My point is more that there isn't a pressing need to figure out who comes out. Playoff hockey is already different enough. So take out whoever is playing poorly in the first so many games.

Last year I remember Engvall having a pretty good playoffs. And who knows what Thornton and Simmonds are saving until the playoffs. We can figure it out then.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Hyman
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Nylander
Simmonds - Nash/Engvall - Spezza

Essentially, Tavares with 2 of Galchenyuk/Hyman/Foligno and the other on the top line. Nylander with Kerfoot to exploit matchups and this way our 3rd line won't be a massive black hole.

Robertson - Kerfoot - Nylander would be a fun line, but I don't think there will be any room for Robertson if everyone is healthy. He SHOULD be the first one in for an injury.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
FWIW Riley Nash's original recovery timetable has him coming back between May 6th and May 2oth. The playoffs start on the 11th, so it seems likely he'll miss somewhere between 1 and 5 playoff games. He's already old and slow so with him coming off of a knee injury you probably want to give him closer to his full recovery time.

I do think when he is healthy that he should figure into the top 12. He's a very smart defensive forward. My point is more that there isn't a pressing need to figure out who comes out. Playoff hockey is already different enough. So take out whoever is playing poorly in the first so many games.

Last year I remember Engvall having a pretty good playoffs. And who knows what Thornton and Simmonds are saving until the playoffs. We can figure it out then.

He might end up being ready for game 1.

The Leafs finish on the 12th and the Canucks games look like they're going to get rescheduled.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Hyman
Galchenyuk-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Simmonds-Spezza-Engvall/Thornton/Robertson

Foligno - JT - Willy
Chuck - Pappi - Mitchy
Soup - Engvall/Nash - Hyman
Thornton/Engvall/Kerfoof- Spezza - Simmonds

PP 1 - Mitch Foligno/Simmonds Mathews
( net presence)
Spezza (he has the big shot) Reilly

PP 2 - Willy Foligno / Simmonds JT
Chucky (big shot) Brodie

PP needs a bomb from the blue line threat. Spezza and Chucky can both shoot. Plus Spezza is a dish threat as well.

For this team to win, and I am getting old, I feel Spezza will be a key element.
4th line minutes and PP minutes, And go.

But get thornton off of the PP

Reactions: Teeder Keon

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Engvall - Hyman
Simmonds - Kerfoot - Spezza
(Thornton - Nash - Robertson)​

Reactions: 123offtheglass

Ad