Line Combos: Who comes out of the line up when fully healthy (playoffs)

Who comes out?

• Total voters

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Galchenyuk -Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Foligno-Kerfoot- Spezza
Mikheyev - Engvall - Simmonds

Jumbo/Robertson

I cannot believe that there are 6 people who'd take Kerfoot out of the lineup and leave Jumbo in, I swear to god!:skeptic:

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Now that all the deals are done, let's re-examine.

Looking at each of your options, injuries notwithstanding, we can keep these guys in the lineup for starters:
Spezza
- too good offensively, still solid on the 2nd pp, defensively sound
- has scored some key goals as well
Kerfoot
- defensively sound centre, and is very versatile and useful (pk, C, winger, etc)
- has offensive upside for bottom 6

Now we are left with
Jumbo
Gally
Engvhall
Mikhy
Nash*
* playoffs only

Of these players, I have to say, putting aside the points they've put up, I like the way Engvall and Mikhey look the best. Gally is harder to judge - smaller sample size, and he's only really showed up in the top 6, which is easier to look good in. But it's complicated by Jumbo, who is an absolute veteran beast when the playoffs will come around, and someone who should be an automatic in the lineup guy when it really starts up. His skill and savvy will move him up in all probability.

So it could be Nash, and whoever gets injured or isn't going well, who sits out, when the playoffs start. But it's really a great dilemma to have, and one that is appropriate for a cup contender.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Foligno and Matthews were linemates for team America...is this correct?

Foligno Matthews Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares Nylander

Let's go!!!

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
We need Grit on all of our lines come playoffs.

Simmonds-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Spezza-Hyman
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Nash

Press box
Brooks
Malgin
Petan
Rosen
Duszak
Liljegren
Marincin
Anderson
Sabourin
Suomela

Taxi Squad/13th forward/defense
Thornton/Dermott
Hutton
Engvall
Galchenyuk
Andersen/Rittich

Rielly-Bogosian
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Brodie

Last edited:

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I actually like Engvall. I don't have that burning hate that some people seem to have for him. Yes he is mistake prone at times, but I see a player there. Despite that I think it's pretty clear the coach doesn't trust him and I can't see him being in the lineup when it's fully healthy.

Thornton has to sit. I quite honestly didn't think he looked good even during his hot streak at the start of the year. Sucks to say but he is cooked.

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Is the lineup I would be going with for game 1 as of now, but things can change.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Joe Thornton when he tries to enter the arena for game 1.

tenor.gif

Reactions: TopCheese and klmdg

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Thornton-Nash-Spezza

I asssume thats the forward group for playoffs. Mikheyev and Engvall are possession monsters though and we might be better off with them in over Jumbo and Nash. I just dont see Nash and Jumbo being benched come playoff time.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I really wanted Thornton to work out, but he's looked awful since about game 12. Looks like he's going to get the Marleau treatment. We're going to see Thornton get far too many minutes no matter what because he's a vet and is a big name. Hopefully Keefe will have the guts come playoff time to bench him.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Galch Matthews Marner
Hyman Tavares Nylander
Robertson Foligno Mikheyev
Simmonds Kerfoot Spezza

Nash comes in for line 4 when he's settled in and if the team needs a boost.

Thornton/Engvall in the press box

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I think our best possible lineup considering chemistry and playstyles is this:

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Folgino-Tavares-Hyman
Galchenyuk-Kerfoot-Spezza
Mikheyev-Nash-Simmonds

Willy has looked frustrated all year playing with JT. JT is gonna be much better off with the grinders line that dominates with force instead of skill.

Reactions: The Masters

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I honestly think with the way how Hyman has been playing so far this season and how the playoffs will highlight his play even more, he would be great on the 2nd line with Foligno and JT. Let those guys hunt the shit outta the puck and set JT up with every chance. JT's play will be through the roof imo. The 2nd line has struggled this season and we need that line to be just as good as the first in the playoffs. 1st line will be hunted and it will be hard for them to produce every period.

Either put Nylander on the first line or drop him down to the 3rd but hes gonna whine on there so put him with Matthews as they have a good fit from before.

Nylander - Matty - Marner
Foligno - JT - Hyman
Gally - Nash - Simmonds
Mikky - Kerfoot/eng - Spezz

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Foligno - Mikheyev
Simmonds - Spezza - Engvall/Thornton/Nash

That second line was looking better than it had all year, no reason to break it up when healthy. I think Foligno was brought in to be 3C, which is a position that has been unstable all year. Engvall is a solid player but he is not 3rd line quality.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I really wanted Thornton to work out, but he's looked awful since about game 12. Looks like he's going to get the Marleau treatment. We're going to see Thornton get far too many minutes no matter what because he's a vet and is a big name. Hopefully Keefe will have the guts come playoff time to bench him.

Hopefully Joe takes a good long look in a mirror and sees the truth and does what a good professional should do.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Here's your playoff lineup.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Simmonds - Spezza - Galchenyuk**
Engvall- Nash - Mikhayev (Likely to get more mins tho than L3)

EDIT I literally forgot Galchenyuk

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The playoffs are a grind. Hopefully we'll avoid injuries but there will be subbing in and out happening. Engvall, Spezza maybe, Thornton

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Foligno JT Willy
Hyman Matty Mitch
Mik Nash Simmonds
Gally/Jumbo Kerfoot/Engval Spezz
whatever happens 4th line won't play much
Jumbo will always be on bench as 13th forward
Spezz will be RW on 4th line with Gally/Jumbo/Kerfoot/Engval switching in and out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad