Speculation: Who can we expect in AHL

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
Who can we expect to be with Springfield? Other than Gormley and the Samuelson brothers what high quality players are there to look at? Seems like Domi and Duckair will make the club out of camp.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I updated this from the Springfield thread:

Pretty deep squad assembled so far. If they keep Domi & Duclair and Gormley & Dahlbeck up in Glendale, without making any other additions or tweaks it might look something like:

Lessio - Shinnimin - Samuelsson
Cunningham - Jeffrey - Martinook
Selleck - Gaudet - Szwarz
O'Donoghue - Dauphin - Plachta

P. Samuelsson - Reese
Smith - Grant
Hache - Melindy
Mermis

Beskorowany/Treutle/Langhamer

I think they'll add one more contract, hopefully similar to Bolduc's last year.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona

Pretty deep squad assembled so far. If they keep Domi & Duclair and Gormley & Dahlbeck up in Glendale, without making any other additions or tweaks it might look something like:

P. Samuelsson - Reese
Smith - Grant
Hache - Melindy
Mermis

That looks like a pretty decent AHL roster. Hopefully they have some success and get some playoff experience. I'm assuming Dvorak has to either make the NHL team or go back to the minors, correct?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Interviews with Dvorak makes it seem that he wants to be in the AHL this year, I know he's 19, but I think he turns 20 within the specified timespan, so I think he's eligible.

I'd like to see him in the World Juniors for the U.S., but if not then why not go to the AHL and speed up the process to make the Coyotes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Interviews with Dvorak makes it seem that he wants to be in the AHL this year, I know he's 19, but I think he turns 20 within the specified timespan, so I think he's eligible.

I'd like to see him in the World Juniors for the U.S., but if not then why not go to the AHL and speed up the process to make the Coyotes.

You must be thinking of Bunting, who said in an interview he hoped to be in the AHL this year. Dvorak isn't eligible because he doesn't turn 20 this calendar year and hasn't played 3 years in junior.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Such a shame. I thought Dvorak would be eligible for the AHL this year.

Regardless, that's hands down, the best AHL roster we've had since I started rooting for this team back in 2007.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not seeing it. Up front it looks pretty good, but they could potentially be in deep doo doo on the blueline and in goal.

Hache, Melindy and Mermis at the bottom is one injury away from disaster.

And those goalies are basically complete unknown commodities as starters at the AHL level.

I still think they're a contract or two from being finished.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

P. Samuelsson - Reese
Smith - Grant
Hache - Melindy
Mermis

Eh, that doesn't seem that deep. I know nothing about Jeffrey though and I'm leery of Cunningham being considered for a top 6 spot because he's not that good. It's not terrible but it does come off as a middle of the pack squad.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Eh, that doesn't seem that deep. I know nothing about Jeffrey though and I'm leery of Cunningham being considered for a top 6 spot because he's not that good. It's not terrible but it does come off as a middle of the pack squad.

Top 8 all have some level of NHL experience and hold aspirations for more. Throw Dauphin in the mix, and I think the forward group should be able to hold it's own.

The defense needs another body or two, but the top 4 all have some NHL experience as well.

The goaltending is pretty inexperienced.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If the Coyotes finally get a RHD, then you can add Dahlbeck to the list of blueliners... I believe he still is waiver exempt.

Dahlbeck plays the left and is entering his fourth year as a pro.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Dahlbeck plays the left and is entering his fourth year as a pro.

does that mean he isn't waiver exempt? And one of the reasons why the Coyotes are looking for a RHD is that Dahlbeck, Gormley, Grossman, and OEL play on the left, not on the right. I don't expect Michalek to play all 82 games and don't see any one worthy, to play on the right side, to be called up.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
On a positive note, Corey Pronman ranked the Yotes 4th in his newly updated ranking of team prospect depth.

Yeah, but he puts the Leafs at #2. I don't see the argument for that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's a little surprising considering how weak our defensive prospects are.

Yeah, though the forward pool is very deep of course.

I don't know what criteria Pronman is applying, but I could see an argument the # of quality prospects could be more important then the # of positions a team has good prospects at. In theory you can often trade a prospect from a position of strength for a similarly valued prospect in a position of weakness. I'm sure there are some teams out there deep on D prospects and weak on forwards.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Yeah, though the forward pool is very deep of course.

I don't know what criteria Pronman is applying, but I could see an argument the # of quality prospects could be more important then the # of positions a team has good prospects at. In theory you can often trade a prospect from a position of strength for a similarly valued prospect in a position of weakness. I'm sure there are some teams out there deep on D prospects and weak on forwards.
Exactly. I think they are going to look at that and decide who they want to keep and who they are willing to trade away and who it is they would like in return. When they find the right match, I'm sure it will be done.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, but he puts the Leafs at #2. I don't see the argument for that.

He had Nylander as the 1 prospect prior to this draft class where he had Marner ranked at 3.

Everyone has their favorites. Button had Domi at 1 a few months back.

In the end the lists are just food for thought.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
That's a little surprising considering how weak our defensive prospects are.

That's what I thought as well. But it seems that people generally value forward prospects more when they evaluate/rank prospect groups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad