Who can replace the hole (3C) with Manny Malhotra gone

Pseudonymous*

aaron%20rome.jpg

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Bring back the guy that Manny replaced, Kyle Wellwood.

That would seriously make me so happy. My very first post on this board was about how happy I was that we had brought Wellwood to the team.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I like Matthias as a player, but i just don't see how he's a better fit that Goc. I'm not overly keen on Goc tbh, but he's playing ahead of Matthias in a weak Florida lineup. It's hard to see Matthias as a particular upgrade on Lappy at the moment. They're both 4th line Centers on this team. Though adding him independent of a '3rd line C' addition would certainly be of real interest to me. You'd get your defensive LH faceoff guy, and it would help free us up to grab a guy like Brassard as the #3C with a more offense-oriented role.

I mentioned this on the gm thread, but from what I seen of my limited viewing on center ice of panther games matthias has impressed me more then goc this season and has what appears to be a solid future as he continues to get better, panther fans confirmed goc has been good but matthias has been the best player and only bright spot for them this season and one of the few guys they hope the organization tries to resign. He is a young, big, physical guy, who seems to be improving each year, i dont know why panthers would trade him though strangers things have happened. Goc faceoff percentage is better but thats about it.

Last edited:

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
I made a big post about this in the armchair thread a while back. In short, with realignment we are looking at having to go through at least one team whos #1 center is 6'4 220lbs. Thorton, Getzlaf, Hanzal and Kopitar are all going to be there for the rest of the Sedin window, even if that lasts another 5-6 seasons. With that in mind Gillis' hit list probably looks like this

Couturier
Laich
Mattias
Boyle
Cormier
Gaustead

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

That would seriously make me so happy. My very first post on this board was about how happy I was that we had brought Wellwood to the team.

Be that as at it may, and as much I liked Wellwood when he was here...I'm sorry but no. After seeing how effective Malhotra was just one year after him...we need another Malhotra. There was no bigger reason for Kesler's success other than Malhotra (well maybe the #1 PP helped too ;)) but without Malhotra, this team is left with Kesler not only being our main source of secondary scoring, but our top shut-down centre, our livelihood on the PP, our go-to PKer. That is way too much burden on any one player. We need a Malhotra.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Factually, the Canucks should have been able to put a prospect into the 3C position when Malhotra was injured.

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Factually, the Canucks should have been able to put a prospect into the 3C position when Malhotra was injured. Instead, even years later, there is still an issue. Teams that win cups do not operate this way. Gillis tenure will be remembered for what he didn't get done rather than his sleep experts and coddling. History will show the Canucks' window closed last January unless Gillis becomes a man possessed at the deadline. Even then, there isn't much for him to work with. I guess it's over. This bunch isn't going anywhere post-season.

Quite factually, that is your opinion. Whether it's true or not, we'll see. However, we didn't really have anyone competent enough to slot in to Malhotra's spot from our prospect pool.

Whether or not Gillis gets it done in Vancouver, he's still brought us 2 President's Trophies, 1 Cup Final, 4 Northwest Division Titles and has improved this team from whence he received it. I think ultimately that will be his legacy in Vancouver, whether he is our Jim Nill or Ken Holland he's really helped this team.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
Kesler should be 3C, focus on shut-down game, have some dude be second line center, the wingers will make him good. Nobody who will cost us anyone important.

No thanks. Don't want Kesler messing with Hansen and Raymonds season, find them a good 3C like Gagner.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Jensen Kesler Kassian
Raymond Gagner Hansen
Higgins Lapierre Wiese
Pinnizotto

Also adding Flesicmann and Laich would be cool as well.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
That is way too much burden on any one player. We need a Malhotra.

But if we bring in an offensive black-hole at 3C then too much offensive burden goes onto Kesler and the top line.

Bring in a Malhotra and an offensive catalyst...

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Hansen
Lapierre Goc Higgins
Booth Wellwood Kassian

3rd line does the heavy lifting defensively and Wellwood brings some much needed playmaking and a defensive conscience to the 4th line. Booth and Kassian's size and physicality compensate for Wellwood's lack of size and grit.

This is assuming Gillis strikes out trying to add an impact forward...

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Be that as at it may, and as much I liked Wellwood when he was here...I'm sorry but no. After seeing how effective Malhotra was just one year after him...we need another Malhotra. There was no bigger reason for Kesler's success other than Malhotra (well maybe the #1 PP helped too ;)) but without Malhotra, this team is left with Kesler not only being our main source of secondary scoring, but our top shut-down centre, our livelihood on the PP, our go-to PKer. That is way too much burden on any one player. We need a Malhotra.

The legend og Manny grows and grows. A player who filled a important role but was never an above average player should not get credit for a guy on another line scoring 40 goals. It is like saying that Jordan Stall was the biggest reson that Malkin is able to score. Manny played what 60 games than the Canucks made it to the finals without him, Kesler dominated Nashville without him. We need a third line center. Most any solid two way center would do. Bozak would be excellent but there are many centers that would fit the bill. We do not need a role player we need a good player.

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
A roster like this would show me Gillis is serious

Sedin-Sedin-C.Perry
R.Clowe-Kesler-Burrows
Booth-Higgins-Kassian
Pinizzotto-LaPierre-Sestito

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010

Sedin-Sedin-C.Perry
R.Clowe-Kesler-Burrows
Booth-Higgins-Kassian

I thought we had all agreed that Clowe is garbage and shouldn't come anywhere near this team.

Disappointed to see his name being brought up again.

Outside99*

Just a lack of center depth generally is the biggest problem.

What kind we get matters - defensive, top 6, NHL prospect - but it matters more to shore things up while avoiding getting fleeced, overpaying for a rental or reducing cap space flexibility further.

I think that as we approach the TD, more teams will drop out of the playoff race and more centers will become available. Washington for example has centers I'd be interested in - Perreault, Beagle, Hendricks - and if Ribeiro re-signs...all have low cap hits. In fact, most NHL teams have more depth down the middle than we do.

Perreault is intriguing. He's put up decent #'s even though he often plays with plugs according to Caps' fans, and seems to be in every coach's doghouse. Now he's no Manny and he's not Ribeiro either but who knows? Better than taking on Brassard's contract.

LolClarkson*

Is he under contract ?

LolClarkson*

Sedin-Sedin-C.Perry
R.Clowe-Kesler-Burrows
Booth-Higgins-Kassian

Booth, Higgins and Kassian are better players then Clowe

LolClarkson*

Who are for sure sellers at this point ?

With Versteeg injured, Florida is one of the guaranteed sellers.

May 31, 2006
Very disappointed that Gillis didn't go hard after Vermette last deadline. He'd be a perfect fit on the team.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Last season, I said Gaustad but seeing how much it cost the Preds.... I changed my mind.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Very disappointed that Gillis didn't go hard after Vermette last deadline. He'd be a perfect fit on the team.

I've seen rumours that we did, but he wasn't available.

As for my pick - Frans Nielsen. Everything we need except faceoffs, and a few hours a day with Manny should improve that in no time.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Sedin-Sedin-C.Perry
R.Clowe-Kesler-Burrows
Booth-Higgins-Kassian

So your 'solution' to the #3C problem...is to leave a Winger there, and bring in a plodding winger for the 2nd line? :help:

I've seen rumours that we did, but he wasn't available.

As for my pick - Frans Nielsen. Everything we need except faceoffs, and a few hours a day with Manny should improve that in no time.

Vermette wasn't 'available' last year? Is that why he was traded to Phoenix for peanuts? ??? :laugh:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Booth, Higgins and Kassian are better players then Clowe

Wha?

Clowe is a bonafide top 6 talent, that is as tough as an enforcer.

He could put up 5 points this season and teams will be lining up to acquire him. He's essentially what we all want Kassian to become in a few years. Rare combination of skill, size and toughness.

I would take Clowe on this team in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad