Who can replace the hole (3C) with Manny Malhotra gone

El Duderino

Aug 4, 2007
BC
Steve Ott, Marcel Goc off the top of my head. Neither will be particularly cheap to bring in though.

Pseudonymous*

It wont be filled within the organization unless theyre giving up on a run this year

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
One guy I wanted since the lockout ended was Matt Cullen, but I doubt Minnesota would want to move him.

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
He was 3C before the eye injury and Lappy was 4C, since then Manny and Lappiere swapped.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Kesler should be 3C, focus on shut-down game, have some dude be second line center, the wingers will make him good. Nobody who will cost us anyone important.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It depends on how AV and/or gillis wants to construct this team. Some of the more successful teams are rolling at least 3 scoring lines and 1 energy line with no checking line per se. If that is the case, they would be on the lookout for more of an offense minded player.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It depends on how AV and/or gillis wants to construct this team. Some of the more successful teams are rolling at least 3 scoring lines and 1 energy line with no checking line per se. If that is the case, they would be on the lookout for more of an offense minded player.

I think our best option is to pursue a 3C that can bring offense to the team, as well as a good defensive game. We all know how Pahlsson panned out last playoffs, plus, we need secondary scoring from everywhere in our lineup since it usually dries up in the playoffs. AV needs to be able to trust the 3C defensively, otherwise I don't see it working.

Not saying these guys are good fits, realistic or whatever you may have it, but guys already mentioned like Roy, Ott, Brassard, Goc wouldn't be bad, per se. I don't think there are many options out there that are available to us, so if we want to make a run at the Cup, we can't be overly picky. We need a 3C, that's the bottom-line.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
Shawn Mathias makes a lot of sense to me, for the 3C hole.

Young still (25).
Contract ends this year, but he's an RFA, probably won't get any more than 1.1 mil.
Solid defensively while being able to put up some goals.
Has a +4 on a team that is collectively -37 with goals. (one of only 2 Florida players with a positive +\-, keep in mind he plays the penalty kill as well).
Decent size (6'3", 211 lbs)
Canadian (not a big deal, but... can't hurt!)
Can hit and fight.

He seems like a better fit to me, than Goc. And he can probably be had for less...

LolClarkson*

Young still (25).
Contract ends this year, but he's an RFA, probably won't get any more than 1.1 mil.
Has a +4 on a team that is collectively -37 with goals. (one of only 2 Florida players with a positive +\-, keep in mind he plays the penalty kill as well).
Can hit and fight.

He seems like a better fit to me, than Goc. And he can probably be had for less...

Didn't Goc learn how to lose in San Jose ? I dunno about him. Too clumsy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think our best option is to pursue a 3C that can bring offense to the team, as well as a good defensive game. We all know how Pahlsson panned out last playoffs, plus, we need secondary scoring from everywhere in our lineup since it usually dries up in the playoffs. AV needs to be able to trust the 3C defensively, otherwise I don't see it working.

Not saying these guys are good fits, realistic or whatever you may have it, but guys already mentioned like Roy, Ott, Brassard, Goc wouldn't be bad, per se. I don't think there are many options out there that are available to us, so if we want to make a run at the Cup, we can't be overly picky. We need a 3C, that's the bottom-line.

I don't think you can dispute that the bolded is true. Ideally, we get a superb 2-way player to be our #3C. I'm just not convinced that's a realistic option. I mean...that's basically describing a Kesler/Staal/O'Reilly/etc. type player, and it's hard to fit that into our cap system...not to mention the acquisition cost of those sort of players. If you're basically talking extremely well-rounded 2nd line Centers...

Which is why the discussion naturally tends towards 'more offense' vs 'more defence'. And that's where the debate is really. And ultimately it boils down to...is Kesler better as a pure offensive threat with limited tertiary backup scoring...or as a checking center who can put up points and dominate on the PP, with a more offensive center behind him to lighten the load offensively.

Young still (25).
Can hit and fight.

I like Matthias as a player, but i just don't see how he's a better fit that Goc. I'm not overly keen on Goc tbh, but he's playing ahead of Matthias in a weak Florida lineup. It's hard to see Matthias as a particular upgrade on Lappy at the moment. They're both 4th line Centers on this team. Though adding him independent of a '3rd line C' addition would certainly be of real interest to me. You'd get your defensive LH faceoff guy, and it would help free us up to grab a guy like Brassard as the #3C with a more offense-oriented role.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
30351.jpg

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Has to be from outside the organization. No more scrubs as third line centers. Malhotra was the perfect fit before his unlucky and tragic injury.

Depth down the middle is a prerequisite for winning the cup or a long playoff run.

Ebbett
Schroeder
Lapierre
Raymond
Higgins
Burrows

None of those players are the answer. Gillis would be smart to make a move before the deadline to avoid the ridiculous price tags that stem from the deadline.

cc

Feb 28, 2002

Young still (25).
Can hit and fight.

Actually, he would be my choice as well. Big rangy center who can skate and still has upside.

Edit: hockeydb lists him at 6'4 216 ibs. I would definitely prefer him over goc but maybe mathias will cost more

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->