Who can help our defense long-term?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
The state of our defense, both now and in the future, is a scary thought. I was not expecting it to look great, but I certainly didn't think everyone - from top to bottom - would have several brutal showings through just the first 16 games of the season.

Kronwall obviously needs his hand held, and none of Ericsson, Quincey or White are up to the task. Meanwhile, the likes of Cola, Huskins, Kindl, Lashoff are inconsistent 6/7s at best. And although its only his rookie season, Smith certainly has not taken off in the way many of us hoped.

Perhaps whats scariest to me is, given how Kindl and Smith have developed, can we really pin our hopes on Sproul, Ouellet, Backman, and Almqvist? Just 3 months ago, Kronwall-Smith sounded like a great pairing that could at least keep our heads above water through a "transition" period, and now it sounds like a short-handed goal waiting to happen.

So with so many problems on the back end, where do we start? Who can help us? Because we obviously are far beyond a "quick-fix."

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Xavier Ouellet, pull him out of juniors, I really am not kidding.

The Wings are going to have to live with some growing pains with Sproul and Ouellet, believe it or not once upon a time Konstantinov and Lidstrom arrived at pretty young ages because the players were not better than them. Starting to feel this way about both Sproul and Ouellet, if the vets cannot keep from mistakes that rookies make what is the big difference aside from a belief the rookies will eventually make less mistakes.

Any fix that requires trading one of them I am not interested in. Most of what will be listed will require sending one of them, if you're being realistic about the proposal.

I would pursue Scuderi if he hits Free agency this summer as a really good stop gap veteran that can help teach.

Last edited:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I doubt it will happen but I feel like Sproul and Ouellet could probably step in next season as regulars on defence.

I'm at the point with Kronwall that I wouldn't be upset if he was traded, it doesn't seem to matter who he plays with every time a goal is scored he seems to be on the ice.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

The Wings are going to have to live with some growing pains with Sproul and Ouellet, believe it or not once upon a time Konstantinov and Lidstrom arrived at pretty young ages because the players were not better than them. Starting to feel this way about both Sproul and Ouellet, if the vets cannot keep from mistakes that rookies make what is the big difference aside from a belief the rookies will eventually make less mistakes.

Any fix that requires trading one of them I am not interested in. Most of what will be listed will require sending one of them, if you're being realistic about the proposal.

I would pursue Scuderi if he hits Free agency this summer as a really good stop gap veteran that can help teach.

That is a great way of putting it.

Its hard to say whether Kindl and Smith (who obviously still has plenty of time to prove himself) are anomalies or are simply indicative of the way we've developed our D prospects in the past 5 years or so, but clearly being 24 when you finally get regular NHL minutes is not working for us.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Its hard to say whether Kindl and Smith (who obviously still has plenty of time to prove himself) are anomalies or are simply indicative of the way we've developed our D prospects in the past 5 years or so, but clearly being 24 when you finally get regular NHL minutes is not working for us.

Big E turned out okay in my opinion. But he got a ton of patience from the DRW management and coaches and he got a lot of time playing with the team when they had Lidstrom, Stuart, some with Rafalski.

I bet Smith and Kindl coulda benefited from that.

And frankly, at this point, I don't see how Ouellet or Sproul could be worse. I've only read about Sproul, but I watched Ouellet at, the World Juniors this year? and I thought he looked pretty good. Obviously the competition isn't as good but from the way our D looks this year....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I doubt it will happen but I feel like Sproul and Ouellet could probably step in next season as regulars on defence.

I'm at the point with Kronwall that I wouldn't be upset if he was traded, it doesn't seem to matter who he plays with every time a goal is scored he seems to be on the ice.

Kronwall has been disappointing this year even as one of his bigger fans there is no denying that. One of his biggest problems is he never trusts the guys around him to do their jobs. He needs to cut back on that a lot, even if they are failing I would be happier if he was doing his assignment. This behavior started in a big way last year as Stuart was suffering through a terrible season and his running around winds up more often than not causing more headaches than it solves. The Wings and in particular their d-man have been terrible at assignment hockey from about last February to now and it is no surprise that their record reflects that.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Smith will be fine, Kindl has good games and bad.

Lashoff is getting minutes earlier than both and has been one of our worst defenceman, Kronwall got his first taste of the NHL at the same age as Lashoff and is currently playing worst of all our defenders.

I don't think the amount of time they spent developing in the minors/overseas is as much of a factor as their talent levels.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
I would also be on board with Ouellet and Sproul starting the year with the Wings next year. It's just so hard to picture one of them - yet alone both - making the team without any time in the "A."

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would also be on board with Ouellet and Sproul starting the year with the Wings next year. It's just so hard to picture one of them - yet alone both - making the team without any time in the "A."

Ouellet is ready, whether or not they decide to do it is another thing. But he plays a mature game, he does need to get a little more explosion in his skating this off-season, but he should have an opportunity to make this team out of camp.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Agreed with this a hundred percent. Might as well get the mistakes from young guys with potential that gave room to grow and become impact players. This team is going nowhere fast. Don't see a reason why we shouldn't be playing as many young guys as we can and at least benefit from a down year.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Well sadly holland has really painted himself in a corner right now giving out two year deals to Quincey and cola.. Quincey has played better of late but he's being paid nearly four mill a season which is top 4 money.. Going to be hard to get much better through fa this off season.

This is one of the worst assembled teams I've ever remembered the wings having.

If I was the wings I'd try to swing a deal for the Caps Green. Probably take a top prospect a pick and hopefully Quincey. The only d-man hitting the market I really want is Smid. Re sign white at the same price he's at and this is what we end up with.

Smid-Green
Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-White

This will buy us at least enough time for all our prospects to develop

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
why are so many people in this thread talking about Smith like he's a bust or something?

CloneHakanPlease*

Im all for a youth movement but they are both a year away from even being considered. You dont throw prospects to the dogs like that

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I still like smith alot. I think he has 10 goal 40 point potential. He needs to tighten up his d a bit. It would also be nice if he was paired with a solid vet. That Quincey smith pairing was doomed from the start. I'm no nhl coach but seriously.. I'd like to see him with either Ericsson or white.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think White is a guy to bring back, as he is a RH shot and has typically been fairly reliable. I'd look to move Huskins at the deadline this year for a depth pick, trade Quincey and Colaiacovo this summer, and either poop or get off of the porcelain throne in regards to Kindl and his presence/development. Use those openings to bring in either both Sproul and Ouellet, or Ouellet + FA/ trade.

Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, White should be here for sure, getting lots of good minutes in most situations. Ryan Suter would've been nice, but another pretty big free agent acquisition or trade that fits the same mold would be huge. Lashoff can be the 1st guy we call up in case of injury (is he going to be able to do that next year, still?) And then Kindl(if he is still here?) and Ouellet can play sheltered, confidence-building minutes on lower pairs.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Well sadly holland has really painted himself in a corner right now giving out two year deals to Quincey and cola.. Quincey has played better of late but he's being paid nearly four mill a season which is top 4 money.. Going to be hard to get much better through fa this off season.

This is one of the worst assembled teams I've ever remembered the wings having.

If I was the wings I'd try to swing a deal for the Caps Green. Probably take a top prospect a pick and hopefully Quincey. The only d-man hitting the market I really want is Smid. Re sign white at the same price he's at and this is what we end up with.

Smid-Green
Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-White

This will buy us at least enough time for all our prospects to develop

Green is gonna cost us Sproul and in the long run I would rather have 2 toilet years where we can draft high end talent rather than lose a future fixture for a player past his prime and not much better defensively than half of our D already. if were trading for a defenseman we need to trade for a top Shut down guy not a upper middle of the pack mobile guy (Kronwall)

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
i think Kronwall 's problem is he is trying to be Lidstrom and not being Kronwall. Sorry Kronwall's not the pp qb we need. Its not him. He needs to stop trying to be Lidstrom 2.0 and play as himself but thats just me. :handclap: I could be way off.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think White is a guy to bring back, as he is a RH shot and has typically been fairly reliable. I'd look to move Huskins at the deadline this year for a depth pick, trade Quincey and Colaiacovo this summer, and either poop or get off of the porcelain throne in regards to Kindl and his presence/development. Use those openings to bring in either both Sproul and Ouellet, or Ouellet + FA/ trade.

Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, White should be here for sure, getting lots of good minutes in most situations. Ryan Suter would've been nice, but another pretty big free agent acquisition or trade that fits the same mold would be huge. Lashoff can be the 1st guy we call up in case of injury (is he going to be able to do that next year, still?) And then Kindl(if he is still here?) and Ouellet can play sheltered, confidence-building minutes on lower pairs.

I agree they are the four to build on. Re-sign White for two years. What we need to add to that group is a top pairing guy and a sandpaper guy that can skate and defend at a top4 level. That's what it will take. Signing more depth guys will not help log tough minutes.

Smith-1st pairing guy
Kronwall-sandpaper guy
Ericsson-White

Two big holes to fill there. We have prospects capable of maybe doing that, but that's long-term thinking and too early to tell.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I agree they are the four to build on. Re-sign White for two years. What we need to add to that group is a top pairing guy and a sandpaper guy that can skate and defend at a top4 level. That's what it will take. Signing more depth guys will not help log tough minutes.

Smith-1st pairing guy
Kronwall-sandpaper guy
Ericsson-White

Two big holes to fill there. We have prospects capable of maybe doing that, but that's long-term thinking and too early to tell.

Yep, totally agree. I wonder how different this year would be if Suter had signed with us? (or we had somehow gotten a player of his ilk for the blueline) I would typically think that 1 player doesn't make that much difference, but we clearly need a guy of his caliber in a bad way. I hope Ouellet can be a big minute player for us.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Smith-1st pairing guy
Kronwall-sandpaper guy
Ericsson-White

I'd say try out our prospects to fill those spots this season. Maybe we seea glimpse of hope and we'll know if what to aquire during the summer.

Btw. what are the rules for pulling someone out of juniors? Are they allowed to go back to juniors or AHL or do they have to be waived?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
13131112_440x326.jpg

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yep, totally agree. I wonder how different this year would be if Suter had signed with us? (or we had somehow gotten a player of his ilk for the blueline) I would typically think that 1 player doesn't make that much difference, but we clearly need a guy of his caliber in a bad way. I hope Ouellet can be a big minute player for us.

It would have been huge IMO.

Suter plays a real simple and steady game: Positionally sound, real good puck mover, usually makes the right play, and eats up a ton of minutes.

With Suter you can pair him with Kronwall and allow Kronwall to play like Kronwall. Or you can pair him with Smith and allow him to develop his game with the ability to roam offensively a bit, which would allow for a Kronwall-Ericsson pair.

In addition he'd help out a lot on the PP. He's not a big shooter, but he's great at holding the line and finding the open man. He'd basically allow Kronwall to rover on the PP.

But obviously we swung and missed with him, so that's neither here nor there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->