Who can dethrone Jack Hughes?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't see anyone doing it, but it is fun to consider what other players would have to do in order to dethrone Jack. I think Newhook is pretty well locked out of 1OA consideration due to his league, fair or not. He'd have to flirt with 3 ppg before people start considering taking him over Hughes, and even then it might not be enough.

Kakko, because he'll be playing against much better competition than Hughes, and will actually play head to head against Hughes at the WJC, might actually have the opportunity. He'd have to be pretty close to the league lead in scoring, if not leading the league, though. The goal scoring record for U18s in Liiga is Aleksander Barkov's 21. If Kakko scores something like 25 and produces something like 50 points the conversation starts.

Turcotte, though, will be playing on the same team with Hughes. That offers a direct comparison, however that direct comparison could work against him. Given that Alex has been ''overshadowed'' by Jack, he needs to not only outperform him, but do it by some margin. If he does really well but it's still close in terms of overall performance people might start making excuses for Jack, or saying things like ''Jack has all the tough matchups.'' To be the man you gotta beat the man, sort of thing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What if:

- Kakko scores 40 goals in Liiga
- Turcotte will be much more vissible on WJC or WCH U 18 and even make it to senior WCH
- Newhook is in BCHL, also that hit his reputation a little bit. But if he makes a 130 points, will be "The Man" in WJC
- someone in CHL leagues will score 70 goals

Its a pure fantasy, but even so. What if?

Even if all of those things happens, Hughes IMO would still have to have a disappointing season for #1 not to be him.

Hughes D-1 numbers are a touch better then what Eichel did in his D-1 season. And Eichel was pretty clearly the 2nd best prospect in the last 10 years behind only McDavid.

If Hughes continues to build on what he did last year I dont think anybody else has any sort of chance. It would take him having a slow year, and another guy having a truly monstrous year for Hughes to not go #1.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Even if all of those things happens, Hughes IMO would still have to have a disappointing season for #1 not to be him.

Hughes D-1 numbers are a touch better then what Eichel did in his D-1 season. And Eichel was pretty clearly the 2nd best prospect in the last 10 years behind only McDavid.

If Hughes continues to build on what he did last year I dont think anybody else has any sort of chance. It would take him having a slow year, and another guy having a truly monstrous year for Hughes to not go #1.
That was Matthews, if you're going to reference Hughes d-1 numbers to Eichel why not point out that Matthews also outscored Eichel at every level. Matthews has always been the better prospect, he's always performed better at every level, there is nothing quantifiable to suggest Eichel has ever been better than Matthews.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Yeah well actually, if Kakko scores 40 goals in the Liiga there's nothing that Hughes can do to go 1st.

Let's be serious, that's a better draft year than Crosby or McDavid by a considerable margin.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Doubt it.

He has everything but size.

If Barzal can have the season he had, imagine Hughes, who does everything better.

Howitzer27

Feb 15, 2017
Victoria, BC
I truly believe the only person capable of dethroning Jack Hughes.. is Jack Hughes.. Unless he falls off a cliff this coming season, he will be the top prospect heading into next years draft. But i'd love to be proven wrong because i do enjoy the speculation on who teams will take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad