Who can dethrone Jack Hughes?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Jack Hughes. Hughes, Hughes... Everybody has this guy on the Nr 1. position for 2019 NHL draft.

But is there any player, that could sent him to 2nd position?

Or lets look it from another angle. Assuming, Hughes will hold his performance and he will continue in his progress, what all must the other candidate do, to dethrone him?

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Jack Hughes. Hughes, Hughes... Everybody has this guy on the Nr 1. position for 2019 NHL draft.

Or lets look it from another angle. Assuming, Hughes will hold his performance and he will continue in his progress, what all must the other candidate do, to dethrone him?

I doubt it, maybe Kakko if he has a great season? Krebs or Newhook could also see a push.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Kakko and Newhook

Reactions: Acadien86

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Here’s one many people might not say(he’s a decent prospect too). Honka... if he somehow improve his numbers in Liiga(which already happen to be extremely good, I believe the best D -2 Defensemen Numbers) year and take another step international wise it’s definitely possible as good RHD’s are rare to find in its self but ones with Anttoni Honka’s skill(and even more so if he improves) are much more hard to find.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
For Finland, my bet would be on Anttoni Honka if anyone.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Most likely no one. But maybe there is a slight chance if someone like Kakko has a monster season in Liiga and the team who has the 1st pick is already packed with centers and they would prefer Kakko's size and more balanced overall package over Hughes.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
If Kakko can take his game to the next level next season, then possibly him. Especially if Hughes' height growth has stagnated and teams have any doubts whether they can fit him in the middle or not. That's a big if still and largely depends on the progress made on the summer. Nonetheless Barkov type of (if not better) regular season or Laine like cup run would be difficult to neglect even while being the first to hit the podium. Suppose the latter is near impossible feat to accomplish and the first one very difficult task in today's low scoring era of FEL to say the least. Basically he'd have to make a case that he belongs to the same tier as a prospect as the two previously mentioned (although I don't see them quite as equals since Laine has been ahead in year-to-year comparisons in my opinion).

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Dahlin and McDavid were also like that
As it was with Matthews but Laine gave him a pretty good run in the end. I don't think no one expected but that before the season.

Also, I think even better example is Hischier overtaking Patrick. But then again Patrick wasn't as elite as the guys mentioned above.

Reactions: Frannel

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dach and Newhook are the only chances. It's gotta be a bigger C with the same potential upside. Only way he gets dethroned.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't necessarily think he WILL dethrone him, but I think he'll rival him for the draft. That guy for me is Dylan Cozens. He's a player you can build around and the guy who I can see being a future captain of an NHL team. Very underrated player. Totally would take him first overall if I had the first overall pick.

Cozens best single comparison for me would be Mark Scheifele.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Veleno was number 1 before around the start of the 2017-18 season.

As it was with Matthews but Laine gave him a pretty good run in the end. I don't think no one expected but that before the season.

Also, I think even better example is Hischier overtaking Patrick. But then again Patrick wasn't as elite as the guys mentioned above.

You guys aren't wrong but neither of those two were seen as "unanimous" the way Hughes/McDavid/Dahlin were.

I haven't seen a single ranking that had Veleno as #1 before the start of 17/18. I'm pretty sure by that point he was outside most ratings top 5.

Brando

May 21, 2017
You guys aren't wrong but neither of those two were seen as "unanimous" the way Hughes/McDavid/Dahlin were.

I haven't seen a single ranking that had Veleno as #1 before the start of 17/18. I'm pretty sure by that point he was outside most ratings top 5.
Almost positive it was Dahlin all along. Hughes is legit, destroyed Matthews numbers at the same age at the same level with the same team. I dont see anyone catching him

You're right it wasn't unanimous. I can't find the video because I'm at work but you there is a TSN spot Craig Button did after the 2017 draft ranking the best players for 2018 and saying that Veleno is the one to beat. I'm sure in Europe it was all Dahlin though.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
it would probably take some regression from Hughes at this point in addition to good play from someone else

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Veleno was number 1 before around the start of the 2017-18 season.
No, he wasn't. It was Dahlin with a slight edge over Svechnikov. Veleno was maybe the number 1 around the start of the 16/17 season.

Edit: Didn't mean to have that negative tone, sorry for that :) I just remember that Dahlin took off in the rankings when he started playing in the SHL in the fall of '16 and then made the World Juniors. And this time around last year (World Junior Summer Showcase), Dahlin was talked about as the #1.

Reactions: sydion

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Veleno was #1 before the beginning of the 2016-17 season, not last year. Andrei Svechnikov was #1 prior to the 2017-18 season (and was still #1 on my list at the NHL Entry Draft).

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't necessarily think he WILL dethrone him, but I think he'll rival him for the draft. That guy for me is Brandon Cozens. He's a player you can build around and the guy who I can see being a future captain of an NHL team. Very underrated player. Totally would take him first overall if I had the first overall pick.

Cozens best single comparison for me would be Mark Scheifele.

So underrated you forgot his name was Dylan? :sarcasm:

I'll go off the beaten path a bit, maybe Ryan Suzuki or Peyton Krebs (if Krebs is successful as a centre this season).

Brando

May 21, 2017
No, he wasn't. It was Dahlin with a slight edge over Svechnikov. Veleno was maybe the number 1 around the start of the 16/17 season.

Edit: Didn't mean to have that negative tone, sorry for that :) I just remember that Dahlin took off in the rankings when he started playing in the SHL in the fall of '16 and then made the World Juniors. And this time around last year (World Junior Summer Showcase), Dahlin was talked about as the #1.

Yeah you're right, my bad. I thought it was 17/18 for some reason.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
If we are assuming Hughes continues to progress like this (as op stated) another player would need to have a massive improvement and fast, I haven't seen anyone I actually think can dethrone him as the top player but it has happened in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->