Who are your top 2 teams in the East next season (with a BIG caveat)

Who are your top 2 teams in the East next season (with a BIG caveat)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not sure I get the love for Pittsburgh. They just barely managed 100 points last season, and they really didn't make any huge offseason acquisitions. Am I missing something here, or are most people just giving last season a pass for cup hangover?

Are you kidding? You must be joking. They just won back to back cups and still got 100 points in the toughest division and have two of the best players to ever play in the NHL. Oh yeah they also lost to the cup champs. This stuff is wild. Just people living in a dream world.

I am going to respond to your comment in the other thread. Go show me where I ever pilled on the leafs when they were rebuilding and bad. Show me one post. It was obvious what they were doing and it was the right thing to do. I dont ever put down the team or franchise its the group of delusional fans that ruins it for me. Such an exciting fun team to watch only to be overrated and pushed down everyone elses throats while you simultaneously chirp the teams we cheer for. I am not sure why so many of you (not all of you) cant just be happy with the amazing up and coming team you have. Once they start winning in the playoffs everyone will give them the respect they deserve. Until then anointing them the best team in hockey is just wishfull thinking. You gotta walk the walk, which they will do one day. Until then no they arent better than Washington or Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Are you kidding? You must be joking. They just won back to back cups and still got 100 points in the toughest division and have two of the best players to ever play in the NHL. This stuff is wild.
I never said they weren't contenders, but nothing you posted indicates they are a top-2 team in the East.

Back to back cups? Great, they made it to the 2nd round last year.
100 points in the toughest division? They had the 5th most points in the east in a division without on of the top teams (Boston/TB).
Two of the best players to ever play in the NHL? Okay, they still barely made 100 points with those players. This isn't the NBA.

This stuff certainly is wild. However over the course of 82 games + playoffs they weren't a top-2 team in the East last year, and I see no reason why that would change this year as their competition (TB, BOS, WSH, TOR) all stayed the same or improved more than the Pens did. Certainly a strong reaction you have to a difference of opinion.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Amazing how some people don't see how this is a two way street. You can't talk down to all Leaf fans, and then expect that none of them are going to be abrasive to you in return. Whatever, this stuff makes it pretty clear on who to add to the ignore list from both sides.

So you think posters like me (Who doesnt interact w a Leaf fan, hardly ever), decides to come into a thread and start belittling Leaf fan? Seriously? WTF would the reason be? Caps fan understand suffering. Big time. It sucks to have never seen your team win (I'm originally from DC....ALL our teams have sucked for 26 long years, before this summer)....so we get it better than anyone.

But almost any thread on the mains that you walk into, you read..."Leafs are best team on paper" - or- "Leafs have better defense than the past 3 Cup winners" -or- "Leafs will win Presidents Cup, easily", etc etc etc.

In almost every thread. The mains have become Leaf Nation. And Leaf Nation is puffing out its chest and pounding on it, every where. You are telling me that is happening in defense of being talked down to in the threads? Sure...it can happen, but that its always someone else starting it?

Come on man.....as you said earlier....YOU can do better than that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I never said they weren't contenders, but nothing you posted indicates they are a top-2 team in the East.

100 points in the toughest division? They had the 5th most points in the east in a division without on of the top teams (Boston/TB).

Two of the best players to ever play in the NHL? Okay, they still barely made 100 points with those players. This isn't the NBA.

This stuff certainly is wild. However over the course of 82 games + playoffs they weren't a top-2 team in the East last year, and I see no reason why that would change this year as their competition (TB, BOS, WSH, TOR) all stayed the same or improved more than the Pens did. Certainly a strong reaction you have to a difference of opinion.

The world is definitely upside down when you have Pens fan and Caps fan side by side defending each other. LOL> And yet here we are.

Of course the Pens lost in the 2nd round. They cant play Washington later than that. Same with the Caps losing to the Pens, the 2 yrs prior. Its being obtuse to point to which round a team loses in, and claims that matters. Its far more prevalent as to WHO they lost too.

If you want to talk about which round someone loses in as a precursor to their fates the next season....well....what does that say about Toronto?

The Atlantic was pathetic last season. a good 50goals in defferential worse than any other one (-81). So the top teams there really had some pathetic teams to feast on (4 of the 7 worst offenses in GF were in the ATL). Again, as a Caps fan, I know what thats like....being in the Southeast all those years. Creates some paper tigers. We saw it w Tampa this past playoffs. Not mentally strong enough to win when it got hard. Same as those past Caps teams.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I guess I just dont buy that argument. They have enough offseason for ample recovery time. That said, I have nothing against the Penguins and it wouldn't bother me a bit if I was proved wrong this season. That said, I'm gonna stick with my previous choices of TB/BOS. I think Pittsburgh is closer to the #4/5 slot in the East until proven otherwise.

There's a reason no team had won back to back Cups prior to the Pens doing so since the 90s. It's not because there haven't been great teams, but because teams simply run out of gas after multiple long playoff runs. Whether you "buy that argument" or not is irrelevant. It's a thing.

Now, that doesn't mean that the Pens will now win the Cup this coming season after getting more rest. The Cup is very difficult to win. But the *way* they performed last year, especially in the regular season, was a team that was running on fumes. They played to their potential for maybe 25-30 games last year. And yet they still managed 100 points. That should speak volumes.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
There's a reason no team had won back to back Cups prior to the Pens doing so since the 90s. It's not because there haven't been great teams, but because teams simply run out of gas after multiple long playoff runs. Whether you "buy that argument" or not is irrelevant. It's a thing.

Now, that doesn't mean that the Pens will now win the Cup this coming season after getting more rest. The Cup is very difficult to win. But the *way* they performed last year, especially in the regular season, was a team that was running on fumes. They played to their potential for maybe 25-30 games last year. And yet they still managed 100 points. That should speak volumes.
Okay, you are free to that opinion, especially as a Pens fan. I do not agree, and don't think they are a top-2 team in the East. Again, all the power to them to prove me wrong. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. I don't think I am in this instance though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Okay, you are free to that opinion, especially as a Pens fan. I do not agree, and don't think they are a top-2 team in the East. Again, all the power to them to prove me wrong. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. I don't think I am in this instance though.

Has zero to do with me being a Pens fan. I agreed with the "out of gas" reasoning each time the Hawks would win a Cup, then fail the next season, then be dominant again two seasons later. Why do you think that Hawks team couldn't win 2 in a row, yet was dominant enough to win 3 in 6 years?

I also don't know why you'd use what round the Pens lost in against them. Does that mean the Leafs aren't even close to a Cup contender since they can't even get past the first round?

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Has zero to do with me being a Pens fan. I agreed with the "out of gas" reasoning each time the Hawks would win a Cup, then fail the next season, then be dominant again two seasons later.

Okay, that is your opinion. Good on you for keeping it in regards with another team. I don't share that opinion, as I've told you a few times this thread.

Why do you think that Hawks team couldn't win 2 in a row, yet was dominant enough to win 3 in 6 years?

Because winning the cup is very difficult and takes being very lucky as well as very good.

I also don't know why you'd use what round the Pens lost in against them. Does that mean the Leafs aren't even close to a Cup contender since they can't even get past the first round?

I never said the Penguins weren't contenders. I just don't think they are a top-2 team in the east. Top-2 in their Division, absolutely. However, I don't think they are better than Tampa, Boston, Toronto, or Washington.

Outside of Crosby/Malkin I don't think they have a particularly impressive roster. Bookmark my post and yell at me next year if the Pens manage to be even a top-4 team in the east. I'll respond "I was wrong, good for the Penguins and their fans".

You seem to be taking this as a personal slight to the Penguins. Not my intention. They are one of the best teams we've ever seen in the post-lockout era and still have a good chance at winning some more cups. There are other teams that on the rise, and have stocked up to be contenders this year - moreso than the Penguins (again in my opinion).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I never said the Penguins weren't contenders. I just don't think they are a top-2 team in the east. Top-2 in their Division, absolutely. However, I don't think they are better than Tampa, Boston, Toronto, or Washington.

Outside of Crosby/Malkin I don't think they have a particularly impressive roster. Bookmark my post and yell at me next year if the Pens manage to be even a top-4 team in the east. I'll respond "I was wrong, good for the Penguins and their fans".

You seem to be taking this as a personal slight to the Penguins. Not my intention. They are one of the best teams we've ever seen in the post-lockout era and still have a good chance at winning some more cups. There are other teams that on the rise, and have stocked up to be contenders this year - moreso than the Penguins (again in my opinion).

I never take anything personal on here. I just simply disagree with the reasoning being used.

As for their roster, it's basically the same roster that won back to back Cups. How is it not particularly impressive when it accomplished a feat no team has done since the 90's Red Wings?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pens-Caps have been the defacto cup finals 3 years in a row. The way Washington dominated Tampa shows the Atlantic is weaker than their point totals suggest. They have 5 of the worst teams in the league in their division, and honestly Pittsburgh/Washington don't have much to play for in terms of the regular season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
caps fan? 6 weeks ago they were on a 43 year drought and noted playoff chokers

be humble

Wait. Leaf Fan is telling Caps Fan to be humble?

WTF & LOL

Have you read ANY of the dozens of threads on the mains where Leaf Fan is anointing this years team as the team of the century???

Yes. All of that is hyperbole. Same as your post to me. Leaf Fan is well ahead of Caps Fan this summer when it comes to thumping chests.

Caps Fan won Cup

Leafs Fan won Tavares

Which is better?

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

It baffles me how people don’t understand how points work. If your in an easier division your top teams will have more points!!! As it’s easier to Win against lesser opponents. The opposite is true in a tougher division. Your top teams will have less points.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
They finished 12 points ahead of Pittsburgh, all the while suffering through massive injuries the first half of the year. They also made it to the same round as Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

The Bruins are certainly top-heavy, but to say they are a 1-line team would indicate you've probably not watched them very often.
Pittsburgh didn't try in the regular season though. The 12 point difference doesn't mean much when one of the teams has nothing to prove in the RS.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
It baffles me how people don’t understand how points work. If your in an easier division your top teams will have more points!!! As it’s easier to Win against lesser opponents. The opposite is true in a tougher division. Your top teams will have less points.
The top teams in the Atlantic had a similar winning percentage against other divisions. If you actually think they just had inflated point totals you're lost. Atlantic teams also had to play against each other (TB BOS TOR) which is the most top heavy division in the NHL.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The top teams in the Atlantic had a similar winning percentage against other divisions. If you actually think they just had inflated point totals you're lost. Atlantic teams also had to play against each other (TB BOS TOR) which is the most top heavy division in the NHL.

Did you not see the playoffs this year or something?

Washington was the considerably better team against Tampa, and they dominated Boston who beat Toronto.

Washington arguably had as tough of a test with Pittsburgh as they did against Tampa Bay.

The only Atlantic team you can make an argument as being better than Pittsburgh is Tampa Bay.

Even still, it’s as the other poster said - the winner of PIT-WSH has gone on to win the cup for the last 3 years. That should tell you something about where the power lies right now.

Reactions: Adtar02

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
You completely don’t get what I said.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Ironically the most top heavy division hasn’t produced three Stanley cup champs that last three years

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It baffles me that people don’t actually check the individual team records instead of just assuming.

I remember Ottawa having a winning record against the “way more powerful West”.

It’s not that cut and dried.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad