Who are your top 2 teams in the East next season (with a BIG caveat)

Who are your top 2 teams in the East next season (with a BIG caveat)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Really didn't think a mod would have to step in here...

To those concerned about people voting for their own team, it's not the end of the world. Don't let it ruin your day.

To those voting for their own team... c'mon. Even if you truly think they are the best team or what, it's a simple concept that does not take anything away from your team if you just follow the rules.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Point of all of this was to take bias out. Regardless if you think my “insert team here” is the best....set that aside and pick 2 other teams. Really not that hard....don’t be “that guy/gal” that has to be a turd and screw up the results.

So far Tampa is a runaway, with Pitt solidly in 2, Washington soldiy in 3 (if you minus out Leaf fan voting for themselves), Leafs 4th.

Few more days left to vote.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Toronto obviously has the best team on paper in the East.

I will go with Tampa and Washington.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'm just as guilty since I didn't vote for them, but if I were a Caps fan I would feel pretty disrespected right now. They've been a great team for a while(2 straight President Trophies prior to the Cup run) and now they know how to win. They're getting some nice ammo right now for another run.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Surprised so many people have Pittsburgh over Washington. Caps just seem like a much more complete team.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Surprised so many people have Pittsburgh over Washington. Caps just seem like a much more complete team.

I could’ve gone either way, honestly. I have the top 4 as Toronto, Tampa, Pittsburgh and Washington, in no particular order. The difference seems small enough that you couldn’t go wrong.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think it’s hard to pick only two between Pitts, Wash and TBay. The first two are obviously proven champs and TBay is stacked at every position. If they get Karlsson then they should be the favourite IMO.
There’s a few teams grouped just a bit below those three as well.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
To those voting for their own team... c'mon. Even if you truly think they are the best team or what, it's a simple concept that does not take anything away from your team if you just follow the rules.

I admit to having voted before I read. It common with a long choice list.

Reactions: uncleben

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Not sure I get the love for Pittsburgh. They just barely managed 100 points last season, and they really didn't make any huge offseason acquisitions. Am I missing something here, or are most people just giving last season a pass for cup hangover?

Reactions: Notsince67

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You cannot pick your own team. Those of you who have admitted to voting for your own team.....do the right thing and go and change your vote. That is ALLOWED by the site

Obv it’s honour system, but be legit and don’t pick your team.

State your team, and then the 2 best outside your team. Keep the obv homerism out of this.

I will start:
Washington Capitals fan.
Best 2 (after them, LOL) are Pittsburgh (ugh, but true) and Tampa

UPDATED

Will say it again, we are looking for neutral fan voting
:

Those of you who have admitted to voting for your own team.....do the right thing and go and change your vote. That is ALLOWED by the site. I counted at least 8 Toronto votes from Toronto fans. Didnt see hardly any for the other 4 top teams.

EDIT-- was wrong. At least 12 leaf fans voted for their team. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

@Lou Lamoriello ; @BayStreetBully ; @LeafsNation149 ; @LEAFANFORLIFE23 ; @Pyrophorus ; @Holy Mackinaw ; @hong57 ; @AvroArrow ; @Gavy ; @WillTheThrill ; @notbias ; @Isaac Nootin

Come on guys/gals...

Its a Tampa run away. Neutral fans see them as the clear favourite in the east. Then the "steps down" to the next 4 teams is pretty consistent....step down (when you take out own votes
Tampa 139
Pitt 64
Wash 49
Toronto 29
Boston 17
Rest 5

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Not sure I get the love for Pittsburgh. They just barely managed 100 points last season, and they really didn't make any huge offseason acquisitions. Am I missing something here, or are most people just giving last season a pass for cup hangover?

I was thinking this myself. I don't think they miss the playoffs or anything but I think a wildcard or third in the Metro is a real possibility.

They still have two of the top five players in the league on their team and I have picked the Pens to go the Final every year since 2014 but if all they do is add 42 year old Cullen, who misused or not, was not good last season, Sprong (who should replace Sheary's 18 goals), and Jack Johnson I'm skeptical. Not sure who they would have to give up but if they pull off Skinner I'm back on board.

I went Tampa and Boston.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I was thinking this myself. I don't think they miss the playoffs or anything but I think a wildcard or third in the Metro is a real possibility.

They still have two of the top five players in the league on their team and I have picked the Pens to go the Final every year since 2014 but if all they do is add 42 year old Cullen, who misused or not, was not good last season, Sprong (who should replace Sheary's 18 goals), and Jack Johnson I'm skeptical. Not sure who they would have to give up but if they pull off Skinner I'm back on board.

I went Tampa and Boston.
Pitts won back to back Cups which is rare in this era. They played a huge amount of hockey during that stretch. I was expecting them to struggle a little bit last year.
Still see them as one of the top two and I’m expecting them to take a deep run this year.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Pitts won back to back Cups which is rare in this era. They played a huge amount of hockey during that stretch. I was expecting them to struggle a little bit last year.
Still see them as one of the top two and I’m expecting them to take a deep run this year.

Oh I agree with the amount of games played but they got older this off season minus the addition of full time Sprong, and that is a bit odd for an already older team. Malkin coming off a knee injury makes me cautious as well for how many games he plays this season.

That being said, heading into the playoffs I will never bet against Malkin/Crosby/Kessel and now Mr. Playoff Jake Guentzal.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Oh I agree with the amount of games played but they got older this off season and that is a bit odd for an already older team. Malkin coming off a knee injury makes me cautious as well for how many games he plays this season.

That being said, heading into the playoffs I will never bet against Malkin/Crosby and now Mr. Playoff Jake Guentzal.
That’s the thing for me as well. I don’t think they are a Presidents trophy team because the older players probably can’t play at that level all year. But I think most teams would still like to avoid them in the playoffs. I think they could go on another deep run this year once they hit playoff hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad