Who Are Your Non-Wings Teams?

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Nobody, but I am a fan of good hockey and will enjoy a few games by teams that are fun to watch. That may vary from year to year or even week to week, but I wouldn't call them "my teams" by any stretch.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
None, **** em.

I like various players, but I couldn't give one flying fig about another roster that isn't Detroit's. Once it gets to the playoffs, I'll pick the team who has the most players I like to root for making it through (a la 2018 Caps)

Literally exactly this.

BUT, if I had to choose one other team I’d root for on a daily it’d be Ottawa. Growing up watching the likes of Yashin, Spezza and especially Alfie - always was fond of the team.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
wouldn't say i'm exactly rooting for any other team

but i'm keeping an eye on San Jose and Edmonton to see how they do

San Jose because Karlsson is easily my favorite player in the league and Edmonton because i'm curious to see how Holland does with a new team after all his time with the Wings

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Have you ever been to Chelios’ place in Chicago - just down the road from the UC?

I believe it’s been closed for some time, but I fondly recall seeing his parents working there on game nights back then, and when he was traded to Detroit - his mom wore a jersey that was half Chicago half Detroit.

ChelisChiliBar

Feb 26, 2018
Have you ever been to Chelios’ place in Chicago - just down the road from the UC?

I believe it’s been closed for some time, but I fondly recall seeing his parents working there on game nights back then, and when he was traded to Detroit - his mom wore a jersey that was half Chicago half Detroit.

Never been to Chicago. If I remember correctly, he might have mentioned his mom there wearing the half/half jersey in his book. Greeks who own a restaurant? Imagine my surprise!

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I’m from Montreal, so I get to watch a lot of the Canadiens... I would say my second favourite team to watch though after the wings would be the Arizona Coyotes

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Tampa- I used to live there. Plus they're skilled and exciting.
Washington- It started as liking OV but now it's more than that.
I like McDavid enough that I'll watch Edmonton occasionally, but I'm not a fan of the team. There's a few players like that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Back in the mid 90s I always liked how hard those lower talented Edmonton teams were. They played so hard and were fun to watch, so I kind of always have a soft spot for them. Although I don't really root for any other team besides the Wings.

Reactions: Winger98

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Regular season, none. If I watch other games it's mostly if the games are meaningful, like something on the line etc at the end of the season. Never watch full games, only periods when I watch games to see a certain player.

During play-offs I tend to get into good stories, so like the blues and capitals, was cheering for them as their run got deeper. Other than that I mostly cheer for the team that's playing against the team I hate, so whoever play the Bruins/Pens/Montreal/Tampa (and you know, the other usual suspects)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I pull for a lot of newer market teams just because they seem to get so much crap from more established markets. And often their issues go beyond just their market to lousy owners, weak GMs, etc but all that's ever mentioned is the market. Not sure I can say I'm a fan of them, but I pull for them. Especially when they make the playoffs.

Back in the mid 90s I always liked how hard those lower talented Edmonton teams were. They played so hard and were fun to watch, so I kind of always have a soft spot for them. Although I don't really root for any other team besides the Wings.

same here. Really enjoyed some of those Oiler teams.

Reactions: Oddbob

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
favourite non wing player is Marner, plus the cultural impact that HNIC has, as well as how stupid the Toronto media are mean I find myself watching lots of Leafs games.

Besides them I like Nashville and San Jose as two well run organizations that made legit fanbases in non traditional hockey lcations.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Been a die-hard Red Wings fan since 1984...For quite some time I couldn't see myself cheering on anyone else.

Then sometime around 1989 - I watched a few Maple Leaf games, and really admired Wendel Clark, and eventually they became a very distant 2nd favorite team.

I guess the Leafs still rank #2 overall, but as of late I sorta got a 'soft spot' for the old farts in San Jose...Would be nice to see Joe Thornton hoist the :stanley:

Very similar to my story, except change 1984 to 1990.

Reactions: FMichael

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm also another one who roots for the Oilers, ex greyhound Nurse was a fan favorite in the Sault.. And always enjoyed them back in the Ryan Smyth era.. That guy bled blue for those teams. He would go through anything for his team, always enjoyed his passion and the hard working teams they had.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Which teams are rooting for, besides Detroit?
Worst or first, Red Wings are always #1.

This year I am rooting for EDM because Im a big Ken Holland fan. I also have a soft spot for CBJ - loved them going 'all-in' at the trade deadline last year and I like Torts (plus Ive always liked them since they hosted the ASG and pissed off all those p***y east coast journalists with their cannon).

I live in STL so I will root for the Blues when they are playing a team I don't like. The hardcore Blues fans are pretty cool, but overall the fanbase here is insufferable so its hard to really get behind the team.

Reactions: Realgud

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Very similar to my story, except change 1984 to 1990.

I have so many friends who are Leafs fans, and I kind of would love to see them celebrate...
Even if I do get some twisted pleasure out of their losses to the Bruins and I can't stand Mike Babcock.
If the Leafs ever do win, I think I could only enjoy it if the Wings still suck.
Looking forward to Atlantic Division in a day when the Leafs, Wings, Bruins and Habs are all competitive.

Reactions: kliq

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Nashville I guess because it's geographically closest to me, and one guy I work with is one of seven hockey fans in TN so I usually talk Preds with him, he's a season ticket holder and hooks me up when the Wings are in town. My Granddad was an enormous Devils fan growing up, so I respect that team in his memory also.

Reactions: Winger98 and kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I have so many friends who are Leafs fans, and I kind of would love to see them celebrate...
Even if I do get some twisted pleasure out of their losses to the Bruins and I can't stand Mike Babcock.
If the Leafs ever do win, I think I could only enjoy it if the Wings still suck.
Looking forward to Atlantic Division in a day when the Leafs, Wings, Bruins and Habs are all competitive.

I live in Windsor, so while I grew up a Detroit fan I was exposed to the Leafs BIG TIME. Also, my father in a law is a Leafs fan, so any time I visit the in-laws I typically watch HNIC. When you watch a team loose as much as I have watched them loose, its hard to not pull for them a bit.

With that said, if both were contenders at the same time I could also see myself disliking the Leafs more and more. It is easier to like them when the Wings suck.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I live in Windsor, so while I grew up a Detroit fan I was exposed to the Leafs BIG TIME. Also, my father in a law is a Leafs fan, so any time I visit the in-laws I typically watch HNIC. When you watch a team loose as much as I have watched them loose, its hard to not pull for them a bit.

With that said, if both were contenders at the same time I could also see myself disliking the Leafs more and more. It is easier to like them when the Wings suck.

Ah, I miss Windsor. Spent my first 29 years there. Great place to be a hockey fan. So many Leafs fans, Wings fans and Habs fans. Always passionate arguments.
Leafs were my second favorite team as a young kid, behind Montreal. But they were so awful in the early 80s, and I hated having to watch them instead of Montreal.
In the 80s, I started using paper route money to go to the Joe and watch the Wings. I was hooked.

Erie Street LOVED the Leafs. Not sure why.

In the 90s, man did I hate the Leafs.
Nikolai Borchevsky ....
I was at a houseparty filled with Wings fans and Leafs fans when this happened.

Watching this sequence, it's hard to comprehend how bad the Wings defensive zone play was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad