Who are your good players who could be great players if played for a better team?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Sure, 1+1 doesn't always = 2, but at least its hypothetically so,
if you play in a better team + play with better player = you become better player yourself.

Better team + better players, can also = smaller role
- but i don't want to focus on that, that's why i'm asking that at top

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Dylan Larkin?

He's already a great player, but he would improve a lot more if he played on a good team.

Reactions: tellermine

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

Reactions: CupInSIX

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I believe Mcdavid could clear 200 points if he played for the Bruins or Capitals. Imagine him and Ovie on one line. Lets remove the salary cap please.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Ehlers.

Not necessarily a *better team*, just a coach who has a clue about how to utilize him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Better team? Different team, maybe? Jakub Vrana is 3rd in the league in EVG. The Caps really cant use him on the pp. Imagine him with an average number of ppgs

Reactions: NHL WAR

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Donato could easily score 50+ on a team like Ottawa or Detroit. He is one of like 9 Minnesota players who is naturally a 3rd line LW. Not saying he’s a top 6 player, but he seems to produce when given scoring minutes.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Better team? Different team, maybe? Jakub Vrana is 3rd in the league in EVG. The Caps really cant use him on the pp. Imagine him with an average number of ppgs
First guy that popped into my head too. We don't have any severely underutilized guys on the back end really, but Vrana being stuck behind Ovi is an obvious one. If he was allowed to be the star winger on a team with a legit 1C option he'd probably blow right up.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Well, you could take anyone on the Stars and they'd obviously perform better offensively on any other team. Seguin said it best last night that no one on the team is able to play up to their offensive potential because of the teams style of play so that's why everyone is having a career-worst season at the same time.

I would guess Seguin would hit 35-40+ goals regularly on a better team. As long as he isn't the best player on whatever team he went to he'd be fine

Gurianov for sure would stand out. He and Hintz would be big time producers on good offensive teams

Heiskanen would likely hit at least 45-50 points a season

Pavelski would be scoring like his normal self in past seasons

Klingberg would get 60+ a season depending on what version of him you get

For other teams:

Jack Eichel would be insane. Give him a good offensive forward group and he's putting up 100+ points

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Well, you could take anyone on the Stars and they'd obviously perform better offensively on any other team. Seguin said it best last night that no one on the team is able to play up to their offensive potential because of the teams style of play so that's why everyone is having a career-worst season at the same time.

I would guess Seguin would hit 35-40+ goals regularly on a better team. As long as he isn't the best player on whatever team he went to he'd be fine

Gurianov for sure would stand out. He and Hintz would be big time producers on good offensive teams

Heiskanen would likely hit at least 45-50 points a season

Pavelski would be scoring like his normal self in past seasons

Klingberg would get 60+ a season depending on what version of him you get

For other teams:

Jack Eichel would be insane. Give him a good offensive forward group and he's putting up 100+ points
As a Stars fan I definitely agree with this.

Whether it’s Seguin, Radulov and Pavelski or young guys like Heiskanen, Hintz and Gurianov they would all be producing more on most other teams. It’s not that they’re not playing good but the defensive game, and coaching, the Stars play hides a lot of potential of our offensive players.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I wouldn't necessarily say he is a good player, but I think Sonny Milano would break out under a more relaxed coach and system just like Duclair. Currently he has 5-11-16 in 37 games and shows high end skill. But Torts really doesn't like his lack of accountability without the puck.

Move him to someone like Ottawa and I think Milano could double his offensive output.

This isn't really a critique of Torts, he is a great coach and his system works for Columbus. Just a case of a player who would benefit from a change of scenery.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Weak team's star would likely see a reduced role in more stacked team, so yeah 1+1 is not necessarily 2. That said, Granlund has been underwhelming under Lavi. We'll see if Hynes gets more out of him, but he's be my #1 answer from Preds for this question.

On the other hand, with the heavy involment of defensemen, you could name any better forward from Preds.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Probably more answers if you invert the question, the more opportunity the better the chance for the player to come into their own, see:Bill Karlsson and the rest of the Vegas team, I'm sure there are still a few of these type of players buried behind depth or fallen out of favour. If the question was about producing more in a more offensive system then there would probably be a few answers, which would not necessarily make them a better player.

More often than not "good players" going to "great teams" yield similar or worse results due to lack of opportunity.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Lundqvist, from the start if his career. Drafted by any top tier organization and he would have went down as a top-10 goaltender of all time.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Probably Coyle on Boston if he's paired with a legit sniper on the wing. He doesn't have much finish at all, but his puck protection skills are absolutely insane, and he's really good at creating space for others and finding the open man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad