Who are your Favourite Characters of all time?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Beauty standards, sure, but I wouldn't say all of these have the same character traits (although they lean into the stoic emo thing too much as well)-- they wildly jump around a lot more-- you're also focusing on one developer that is generally considered very hit or miss and widely known for being guilty of some really lame tropes in general.

I also mentioned Western because most beloved AAA titles that get brought up tend to be Western, not necessarily to suggest that Eastern was necessarily an exception (although it does strike me as less of an issue).

When I think of Japanese AAA developers (can't think too many, to be honest), it does feel like each one does their own thing, though. Nintendo is very different from Square Enix is very different from Capcom is very different from From Software when it comes to how they handle protagonists. There also aren't THAT many critically acclaimed, character focused and story-driven Japanese games to begin with, it seems. Obviously the mediocre ones should be expected to be uninspired and follow the same tropes. When I think of the bigger protagonists from top-drawer Japanese AAA games, I think of things like Mario, Jill Valentine, Cloud, Solid Snake, and things that are completely non-applicable like Pokemon and Street Fighter.

I'd also imagine with that image that you're looking at 3 decades of game characters being redrawn by a single art director for a game like FF Dissidia and are very far from the originals.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'd also imagine with that image that you're looking at 3 decades of game characters being redrawn by a single art director for a game like FF Dissidia and are very far from the originals.
Great point. Aside from there being decent variation in personality types, which was the point being made, here's a less misleading representation (taken only from the period where the games were cherished the way the games I listed were).

3e46de1c38e5668609532dfdf17781e8.jpg

ccb753feae1f833c8b36f08c692ed920.jpg

amano-terra-tina-final-fantasy-vi.jpg

ee83be6ca64279ac6d8b534614b169e6.jpg

latest

193585-zidane_tribal.jpg

latest

Definitely some preferred standards of beauty specific to the East, but far from what was suggested. Only two of them (Cloud and Squall) are similar character archetypes (and I would argue that Cloud ends up being a deceptively clever subversion/commentary on the archetype, not a lazy trope like Squall is). Recent FFs (which get mixed reception) are more guilty of it, but nobody considers those games well written the way Last of Us, God of War, Bioshock Infinite, and Red Dead Redemption 2 are.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Geralt of Rivia

Estinien Wyrmblood

Kratos in GoW 3

Honorable mentions for Link, Samus and Ezio.

Reactions: Fixxer

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
In no order:

Master Chief - the ultimate badass and my OG. Hate how all the other Halo games tried to make every main character just like him. There is only one Master Chief.

Garrus from Mass Effect - loved the storylines with him and Shepherd. The stuff in ME3 with the other Turians and the galaxy ending was just so well written.

KOTR - I cant pick here. Just so many good stories with incredible writing. Gun to my head I’ll say Revan, Jolee, and Kreia.

John Marston and Arthur Morgan - didn’t love Marston in RDR2 but he was fantastic in the first one. Super fleshed out character that gets a very realistic ending imo. Arthur Morgan incredible as well.

Price and Soap from COD - such a badass duo. Never cared for COD storylines more than Modern Warfare even with 3 being kinda weak.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Add another vote to both Geralt and Majima.

Third one... hmm. Maybe Lee from the first Telltale Walking Dead game. That first season was actually damn good, then they followed it up with increasingly less interesting installments.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
1. James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2)
2. John Marston (Red Dead)
3. Ark (Terranigma)

HM: Happy Mask Dealer and Midna (Zelda)
Now that I’ve beaten RDR 2 i think I’d have Arthur over John. RDR1 is a better video game, but Arthur is such a great f***ing character

jame Sunderland and SH2 still unmatched. Most profound video game I’ve ever played and the closest competitors are light years behind.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
1. max payne
2. jack (mass effect)
3. guybrush threepwood (monkey island series)

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
1.Ken from Street Fighter II- perfect moves, perfect look (f*** off Ryu!)
2.Mallow from Mario RPG: because he was so nice and cute and helpful and a poor little kid searching for his parents.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
1. Legion (Mass Effect 2/3). It was such a twist to find that this geth - a major antagonist in the first game - had been following Shepard, not to kill him, but to join him in his fight against the Reapers. Legion basically was more intelligent than most geth due to a host of geth that made his physical platform work (prompting the name "Legion"), and he raised so many questions on what could be considered to have a soul. Asimov would've had a field day with Legion, and ultimately - in the best outcome where you spare both quarian and geth - he sacrifices his own life, just when he gained full sentience and fully realizes what it's like to die, to give the rest of the geth full sentience to help join the fight against the Reapers. He's my favorite Mass Effect character - out of a cast that includes Wrex, Drack (don't shame me for liking Andromeda; I loved it), Mordin, Tali, Garrus, Liara, Vetra, Peebee, Jaal, Samara, Thane, etc.

2. Connor Kenway (Assassin's Creed 3). I could've chosen any of the Assassins from other games - Ezio, Altair, Edward Kenway, Bayek, Aya, or Kassandra - but something about Connor simply spoke to me. He's mixed-race (part Native American, part Caucasian) in a time where he would've been looked down upon for being whom he is. His mother was killed early in his life by people he thought to be Templars. But he simply looks for the good in everyone, is one of the nicest characters in this series, even tries to make peace with the Brotherhood's sworn enemies, knowing all the good it could do. His fate particularly sucks because he loses everyone he ever cared about for a cause that isn't even his. But I have to say that the way he keeps getting back up after getting knocked down, his determination, his unfailing kindness...we could all try our best to be like Connor.

3. Silver (Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver). This is a controversial decision, I admit. I could've gone with most of the evil team leaders (Giovanni, Guzma, N, and Colress being the main ones), some of the rivals (Gary, Cheren, Bianca, Hau, Gladion, Hop, etc.), even some of the leaders/Elite Four/Champions. But Silver arguably had the most growth out of any character in the series. He starts out as a petty thief, stealing the starter who's stronger than yours. He basically continues to act like an abusive asshole towards his Pokemon, is a constant dick to you, and refuses to admit he's less skilled in battle than others are. But he at least has a good excuse for being that way: Giovanni basically abandoned him as a kid for the sake of Team Rocket, and Silver wants to prove that he can never be weak again. But eventually, he starts to care more about his Pokemon, and slowly begins to understand what he lacks. He grows from a evil prick to someone who - while he'll never be your friend - at least becomes somewhat of a good person.

Honorable mentions (that aren't from the series I mentioned): Talion (Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War), Zevran (Dragon Age: Origins), Fenris (Dragon Age 2).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nizdizzle

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
2. Connor Kenway (Assassin's Creed 3). I could've chosen any of the Assassins from other games - Ezio, Altair, Edward Kenway, Bayek, Aya, or Kassandra - but something about Connor simply spoke to me. He's mixed-race (part Native American, part Caucasian) in a time where he would've been looked down upon for being whom he is. His mother was killed early in his life by people he thought to be Templars. But he simply looks for the good in everyone, is one of the nicest characters in this series, even tries to make peace with the Brotherhood's sworn enemies, knowing all the good it could do. His fate particularly sucks because he loses everyone he ever cared about for a cause that isn't even his. But I have to say that the way he keeps getting back up after getting knocked down, his determination, his unfailing kindness...we could all try our best to be like Connor.
Connor is a great shout and one that has not been mentioned frequently in here. I think AC3's mixed reputation hurts peoples perception of him.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
1. Legion (Mass Effect 2/3). It was such a twist to find that this geth - a major antagonist in the first game - had been following Shepard, not to kill him, but to join him in his fight against the Reapers. Legion basically was more intelligent than most geth due to a host of geth that made his physical platform work (prompting the name "Legion"), and he raised so many questions on what could be considered to have a soul. Asimov would've had a field day with Legion, and ultimately - in the best outcome where you spare both quarian and geth - he sacrifices his own life, just when he gained full sentience and fully realizes what it's like to die, to give the rest of the geth full sentience to help join the fight against the Reapers. He's my favorite Mass Effect character - out of a cast that includes Wrex, Drack (don't shame me for liking Andromeda; I loved it), Mordin, Tali, Garrus, Liara, Vetra, Peebee, Jaal, Samara, Thane, etc.

3. Silver (Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver). This is a controversial decision, I admit. I could've gone with most of the evil team leaders (Giovanni, Guzma, N, and Colress being the main ones), some of the rivals (Gary, Cheren, Bianca, Hau, Gladion, Hop, etc.), even some of the leaders/Elite Four/Champions. But Silver arguably had the most growth out of any character in the series. He starts out as a petty thief, stealing the starter who's stronger than yours. He basically continues to act like an abusive asshole towards his Pokemon, is a constant dick to you, and refuses to admit he's less skilled in battle than others are. But he at least has a good excuse for being that way: Giovanni basically abandoned him as a kid for the sake of Team Rocket, and Silver wants to prove that he can never be weak again. But eventually, he starts to care more about his Pokemon, and slowly begins to understand what he lacks. He grows from a evil prick to someone who - while he'll never be your friend - at least becomes somewhat of a good person.

Honorable mentions (that aren't from the series I mentioned): Talion (Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War), Zevran (Dragon Age: Origins), Fenris (Dragon Age 2).

Legion was an awesome character and definitely my favourite! I loved Garrus but didn't enjoy the direction his character took after the first game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad