Who are your Favourite Characters of all time?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm sure these lists will vary depending on what games you play, but here goes:

3. Link (Legend of Zelda) - This one I wasn't sure who to put, because there are a lot of great games with a lot of great characters. Link is the classic good guy. Normal guy sent against insurmountable odds to save the princess against a timeless evil. For me, BOTW fleshed out the character a lot more than other games with the memories of his time with Zelda pre-Calamity Ganon.

"HHYYYUUUHH"

2. Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2) - Possibly against the grain with this one, but.... Video games very rarely kill of important or popular characters. When they do, it usually is accompanied by cheesy lines, the main character holding the dying persons head as they slowly pass along their final lines, and isn't all that memorable. Mordin had one of the best story arcs I've ever experienced in a video game. His choices were cruel and amounted to a genocide. When you get his side of the story, he see that it wasn't done without regret, and it was a moral choice that saved billions. The end of his story is amazing, powerful, and redeeming.

"It had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong"

1. Geralt of Rivea (Witcher Series) - This one I don't think needs too much explaining. Geralt is a fully fleshed out character, that has spent life shunned by everyday folk and always manages to get the short end of the stick by those who plan on using him. His story balances serious dark overtones with levity. It helps that the Witcher 3 was carried by amazing writing and voice acting.

"****."

HM: Master Chief, Nathan Drake

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Like a lot of films, I find a good villain often helps to really get me engaged into the storyline.

1. Wheatley (Portal 2)

I don't think I've laughed as hard or as often while playing a video game.

2. Andrew Ryan (Bioshock)

There's such a strange fascination with this libertarian tyrant and his failed social experiment.

3. SHODAN (System Shock and System Shock 2)

In a game where everyone is already dead, the intrusion of SHODAN's taunts and electronic voice during the most creepy parts of the game was memorably unnerving.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Sadie Adler - Red Dead Redemption 2
I absolutely LOVE Sadie's character development through the game. If you're unfamiliar, she begins as a meager housewife whose husband had been murdered and their cabin raided by bandits. The gang decides to bring her along and she is rather resistant to them at first. She begins a cowering widow. As her interactions with the gang (and hatred for the gang who murdered her husband) grow she turns into a fire-cracker of a woman who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. She's tough as nails, and goes a bit bat-sh*t at times too, despite appearing relatively reserved at first. After the events of the main story, Sadie turns to a life of Bounty Hunting and becomes incredibly successful at it. I love her development from a meager widow to a full-fledged Bounty Hunter.

She is one of Arthur's most fiercely loyal allies in battle and otherwise, and dedicated herself to helping John and his family settle into a "normal" family life as well.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Diego from Gothic - Gothic was my very first 3d RPG, and Diego was the father figure who welcomed me not only to the game but to the genre as a whole. He also had a larger part to play than was at first apparent.

John Marsten - I developed a real affinity for the guy over the course of RDR. He's almost a gentleman in chapter one before pivoting to badass as soon as he steps foot in Mexico. I think the voice actor had a lot to do with his appeal.

Bourbon from Metro 2033 - he's not in the game long but he sure makes an impression while he's around.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kain Highwind (Final Fantasy IV): Loved his personality and he's easily the best party member.
Lucas (MOTHER 3): He's my main in Smash and I just want nothing but the best for him.
Knuckles The Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog): Always liked him as a kid, and he's still a favourite of mine.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
3) Graham - King's Quest

A classic (and somewhat generic) hero, but just a kind-hearted adventurous spirit. Both from my childhood and especially the 2015 remake (with his older self narrated by Christopher Lloyd). Really the feel good choice.

I know the 2015 remake sort of flew under the radar and was (intentionally) over the top cheesy, but man I loved it. That ending brought me to manly tears.

2) Mordin Solus/Garrus Vakarian - Mass Effect Trilogy

Hard for me to pick between best space buddy and the other most interesting character in a trilogy filled with interesting characters and compelling story arcs for them. Enough has already been said about them in this thread.

Mordin was another instigator of the manliest of tears.

1) Kreia - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

One of the best performances and most well written characters in entertainment history IMO, and one that I initially hated (which I think was the point). The only thing holding her (and the game) back from true masterpiece status is an obviously troubled development cycle and a myriad of crazy technical issues that not only affected game play, but disjointed the story as well...but despite that, character writing that actually made you think about not only your in game choices, but also your life choices.

Everything she said, everything she did...a manipulation within a manipulation, but also with a point. It's often said that a well written villain is one you understand, one that makes you question - Kreia takes that to a whole new level.

EDIT: I should probably include the disclaimer that I don't watch or read a lot, and video games are my primary form of entertainment...so maybe take the "best character in history" stuff with a grain of salt. :laugh:

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Handsome Jack-Borderlands 2
Chloe Price-Life is Strange
Pablo Sanchez-Backyard Baseball

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Reading this thread making me think I need to play KOTOR:II

Honestly, even though I just gushed over it, I'm not sure...

Even after the restored content update, it suffers from it's janky development and technical issues. It's sort of haphazardly slapped together, and it hasn't dated all that well on the technical side either.

I still go back and play it every once in awhile, but it's also hard to recommend for that reason.

However, it doesn't hurt to give it a whirl. There's a lot to forgive, but there's also a lot of reward.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Honestly, even though I just gushed over it, I'm not sure...

Even after the restored content update, it suffers from it's janky development and technical issues. It's sort of haphazardly slapped together, and it hasn't dated all that well on the technical side either.

I still go back and play it every once in awhile, but it's also hard to recommend for that reason.

However, it doesn't hurt to give it a whirl. There's a lot to forgive, but there's also a lot of reward.

You definitely have to gloss over some of the warts in that game.

Sometimes the plot needs a little explanation as the story heaves its way around.

It's rare to see a Star Wars property that has such a nuanced view of the Force though.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
It's rare to see a Star Wars property that has such a nuanced view of the Force though.

After watching Star Wars growing up and playing the games with their very good vs evil adventures, hearing Kreia's views on the Force was like stepping on a mental landmine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->