Who are you most impressed with so far?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I know it's early, with game 10 coming up on Sunday, but just for fun. And maybe use this thread for player ratings so far, though we usually do that around game 20.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Vermette probably. Still has hands of stone but damn he's stepped up on the PK and continuing his success at the dot. Probably the most consistent effort level of any forward so far as well.

EDIT: Nevermind, Vermette will be my #2. Derek Morris has gotta be the most impressive so far. Looks like he's 25 out there.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Vermette, Hanzal and Klink. All three have had far better starts to the season than I expected.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
A number of good options here, but going to go with Morris. Continuing where he left off with his rebound season last year by putting up a near PPG pace thus far. Has arguably even looked better than OEL overall so far.

#MorrisforNorris

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Need to allow multiple options here. Hanzal's the choice, but Klinkhammer has been impressive often in a top-6 role he shouldn't be cut out for on paper. Then there's Doan, who I didn't notice much at all at the end of last season, but he's been a destroyer for a couple shifts a game, every game. Dude's playing like he's 27. And Smith, while there have been some head-scratcher goals against, has mostly been a stud.

The Fuhr*

Hanzal is just entering his prime right now... Big forwards like him tend to bloom offensively in there mid to late 20's

20-25G, 60ish points, 240Hits along with elite shutdown ability

He'll be considered a dominant two-way center soon

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Morris, Hanzal, and Vermette are all playing at a much higher level now despite being bad early on.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
DeMo has without a doubt been the biggest surprise for me, followed closely by Vermette. Funny now that Vermette isn't getting everyone else's shutdown defenders that he's doing well.

Klinkhammer I thought was who he was last season and he's proving that to be true, but DeMo in his contract year is pushing to retire as a yote. I'm sure he can't continue this offensive pace, but if he remains solid he'll earn another contract.

In order of bright spots

DeMo
Vermette
Hanzal
Klinkhammer

I know Hanzal doesn't get enough love on the main boards, but he's so much fun to watch defensively.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I've been pleasantly surprised by several people.

Klinkhammer - we saw the first little preview last season, but he seems to be even better this season
Vermette - yeah, he's better this year than last for sure!
Smith - solid performances and I feel more confident in the backup as well
Ribiero - when he's not making the goals happen, he's making the plays happen
Morris - when he's not playing, I get that uh-oh feeling. But when he's out there, no worries at all.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Klinkammer has surpassed my expectations the most. Followed by Morris. Hanzal has been crazy good though.

Edit: having read the responses, I've got to agree with Vermette, too. Halpern has also been a fantastic Gordon proxy.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Out of curiosity, is Morris' play sustainable? Not in points, but in defensive prowess? If we were to resign him, would he be a liability as he gets older?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Out of curiosity, is Morris' play sustainable? Not in points, but in defensive prowess? If we were to resign him, would he be a liability as he gets older?

He keeps himself in excellent shape so I don't see him dropping off too fast. The only guy that has always stayed in the valley during the offseason and loves it here. Should retire a Coyote if he keeps this up.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

That's what some people said last contract. I'd have no hesitation on signing him to a 2 or 3 year deal again at the right price.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah. He needs to stay. This makes Stone and Rundblad's development all the more important. We need Rundblad and Stone broken in as FT RH NHL D ASAP. That way, when Morris gets old, he can slide down a spot on the depth chart.

Bissonnette and Kennedy are fine and all. They don't suck. But, I'd say Stone and Rundblad are a helluva lot more useful. Like by a few hundred miles. Demote Kennedy. Scratch Biz. Dress 7 D every night. Alternate Stone and Rundblad. Only until you can get a decent return for Schlemko. In which case, deal him. The. Dress 7D every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad