Who are Vezina favourites this year?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
The logic is pretty simple. We have 3 goalies who have been outstanding all season long, and one who has been outstanding for most of the season, but had a slow start? The most valuable goalie needs to be one that was most valuable for the entire season to me.
Grubauer vasi and fleury have had some not so great games march 29-april 7th was rough for grub. March 17th -march 31st was rough for fleurry. March 7th-march18th wasn't great for vasi. Saros'slump was maybe 2 games longer but his overall numbers are with fleury vasi and grubauer as he then has had less bad games sprinkled in between.

Just cuz his slump happened in a time where it stuck out in the overall numbers more since it was at beginning of season doesn't mean the others didn't have their slumps as well. They just weren't noticed since their sample size was big enough by the point in season that the overall numbers didn't dip too badly like they do if you slump at seasons beginning.

ClaudeSpeed

May 4, 2021
I was really rooting on Fleury to win it but yeah it's gonna go to Vasilevskiy. And rightfully so.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Who will win: MAF
Who is the best goalie: Vasi
Who deserves more consideration than they’ll get: Demko, Grubauer, Varlamov Saros

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Analytics say Saros. Eye test says Saros. Common sense says Saros.

So it's probably going to be Vasi.

Reactions: king89

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
As a huge fan of Saros since the 2014 U20's, I am so glad that he has proven me wrong and is one of the top goalies in the league. I hope he wins just so that smaller goalies maybe get more opportunities again and teams focus less on finding giants.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I’d love to see Fleury get it but that goalie rotation does him no favours and Vasi has been great all season and played the majority of his games.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Analytics say Saros. Eye test says Saros. Common sense says Saros.

So it's probably going to be Vasi.

You're going to have to show your work here. Vasilevskiy is better than Saros in most metrics, traditional and advanced. I get that Vasilevskiy seems like a good default pick for voters, but he has everything to back him up this year. He's been consistently great.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Since the GM's vote, Mike Smith will definately get some votes, he won't win mind you, and shouldn't win, but the "hockey guys" that NHL GM's are will take notice. A .925 sv% with a 2.25 gaa at age 39 is modern day Johnny Bower type stuff and the GM's are most assuredly going to recognize that. i could see some 3rd, 4th and 5th place votes for him.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Who will win: MAF
Who is the best goalie: Vasi
Who deserves more consideration than they’ll get: Demko, Grubauer, Varlamov Saros

I would put Grubauer in the "who deserves less consideration than they'll get" category.

He'll get plenty of votes from the old school guys because of wins and SV%, but he's massively benefitting from playing on the Avs.

Don't get me wrong. He's been good, but if you look at any stat that actually takes into account the quality of shots the goalies are facing, he ends up way down the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad