Who are Vezina favourites this year?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Given how bad Tampa’s defense has been this year you could make a strong case for Vasi for the Hart.

Reactions: alexgreeen

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Given how bad Tampa’s defense has been this year you could make a strong case for Vasi for the Hart.

No chance whatsoever he wins (clearly, McDavid) but even makes top 3 imo.

Maybe you can argue he "deserves it" - not sure I'd agree with that - but I don't think he'd be able to overcome the mountain of bias he'd face to earn hart votes. He plays on the best team in the league, who has the best defense (on paper), offense and goalie and are cup champions. I just don't see how voters give him any serious look at hart votes.

If anything - Saros in Nashville might get looks for Hart. Nashville was going nowhere, mounted a big comeback, he has great stats (close or better than Vasi even), and is obviously a weaker team overall than Tampa, so his role in the playoff race will be seen as more key.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So little love for Saros.
He had his usual slow start to the season, did he not? Hard to vote for a guy who comes out of the gate slowly when there are guys who have been consistently good all year. He has been great in the final 2/3 of the season though.

Vasilevsky
Fleury
Grubauer

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
He had his usual slow start to the season, did he not? Hard to vote for a guy who comes out of the gate slowly when there are guys who have been consistently good all year. He has been great in the final 2/3 of the season though.

Vasilevsky
Fleury
Grubauer
I don't agree with this logic. He might have had a slow start but i'm not even sure if it was his play or the fact that the team was overall just horrible. Now he's the MVP of a definsively not so great playoff team whose leading point producer is 93rd in scoring in the league.

Reactions: king89

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't agree with this logic. He might have had a slow start but i'm not even sure if it was his play or the fact that the team was overall just horrible. Now he's the MVP of a definsively not so great playoff team whose leading point producer is 93rd in scoring in the league.
The logic is pretty simple. We have 3 goalies who have been outstanding all season long, and one who has been outstanding for most of the season, but had a slow start? The most valuable goalie needs to be one that was most valuable for the entire season to me.

king89

Dec 4, 2018

Vasilevsky
Fleury
Grubauer
Yeah consistently good playing for juggernaut teams. In Saros we have a goalie who has played outstanding in a subpar team. That is more impressive in my eyes. But he will never win it cuz he doesn't play for a flashy big market team..

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah consistently good playing for juggernaut teams. In Saros we have a goalie who has played outstanding in a subpar team. That is more impressive in my eyes. But he will never win it cuz he doesn't play for a flashy big market team..
His teammate won the Norris last year, lets hold the "woah as me, big market" blues out of this. I don't understand how having a below average start to the season can be more impressive to you, but okay. Saros is a notorious slow starter, and he had the same issue this season. You can't just pretend that a bad part of the season didn't happen.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Vasilevsky
Fleury
Grubauer

Yeah I disagree with this completely. Maybe you're saying that's "how it should be" - and that's your opinion and that's fine. But in terms of "how it is" - I think there's a long history of hart winners who get hot for last 2/3 of the season, or the 2nd half only. Off the top of my head, Forsberg in 2003 or Ovechkin in 2013. To a certain extent, Carey Price and Jose Theodore both mostly won the hart based on their end of season, moreso then start of season. Probably a lot of other examples too.

Considering goalie stats are all about averages and that Saros's stats are as good as Vasi despite his slower start, I don't think this will hurt him in any voting. If it had been the other way - hot start and slow finish, maybe.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
His teammate won the Norris last year, lets hold the "woah as me, big market" blues out of this. I don't understand how having a below average start to the season can be more impressive to you, but okay. Saros is a notorious slow starter, and he had the same issue this season. You can't just pretend that a bad part of the season didn't happen.
Josi is a established star in the league, its not the same thing. I don't pretend his slow start didn't happen. But i don't care about that when he has carried this Preds team a while now this season. They would not be in a playoff spot without him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah I disagree with this completely. Maybe you're saying that's "how it should be" - and that's your opinion and that's fine. But in terms of "how it is" - I think there's a long history of hart winners who get hot for last 2/3 of the season, or the 2nd half only. Off the top of my head, Forsberg in 2003 or Ovechkin in 2013. To a certain extent, Carey Price and Jose Theodore both mostly won the hart based on their end of season, moreso then start of season. Probably a lot of other examples too.

Considering goalie stats are all about averages and that Saros's stats are as good as Vasi despite his slower start, I don't think this will hurt him in any voting. If it had been the other way - hot start and slow finish, maybe.
I wasn't commenting on how it is or should be, just my opinion on who I would have as my final 3.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
1. Saros
2. Vasi
3. Varlamov

Saros has been by far the best goalie in the league since the beginning of February. The dude deserves it this year.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Lehner was a shining example of why Fleury at least deserves to be a finalist. Vas, Fleury, and Varly would be my top 3. If Grubauer finishes strong he might be a finalist.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Vasilevsky
Fleury
Grubauer

It shouldn't matter when a player has his bad games though as long as their overall body of work is just as good. Vasilevskiy for instance has 1 more game than Saros with a SV% under .900. You also mention Grubauer, despite the fact that in his last 8 starts he has an .886 SV%, a similar poor stretch to what Saros had at the beginning of the season.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
My list too. Can we nominate Mike Smith for the best old guy goalie award too? That's a thing right.

He has been a stud for the Oilers. He always did thrive under the Tippet system. Some players were just born to play for particular coaches, and that is never a bad thing.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Based on merit, should be Saros. The only keeper in consideration with shoddy team D numbers.

Avs, Vegas, Tampa, Isles have much better D this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad