Who are Vezina favourites this year?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'd be surprised if any of the North Division goalies are nominated.

And I don't really watch much hockey outside of this division, so .. pass.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It's been a meh year for goalies IMO. Vasilevskiy is probably #1 although I think Hellebucyk is right there and has probably the better case given the defense he has to play in front of. I'd probably put MAF in the 3rd spot.

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
It's been a meh year for goalies IMO. Vasilevskiy is probably #1 although I think Hellebucyk is right there and has probably the better case given the defense he has to play in front of.

I don't really understand where you are getting that from. Vasi, lankinen, Etc. Are putting up insane numbers, while goalie's like Demko, Helle, etc. Are carrying their team. Then you have guys like Grub, Varlamov who have been outstanding.

Maybe because there are more back to backs so starters aren't playing as much? But overall, I think it's about the same as a normal season.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Vasilevskiy
Fleury
Varlamov/Grubauer

Demko is earning it but the Canucks are kind of tanking his shot at it (both puns intended).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
MAF will get it I think. He has strong numbers but also the most "feel good" narrative (counted out old goalie shows he still has it).

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Vasilevskiy seems like a lock at this point.

If anyone's interested Hellebuyck has been amazing again although his stats are slightly worse than last year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If voting was held today I'd be shocked if Vasilevskiy and Fleury weren't top 2, and Grubauer would likely be 3, but I could see a bone thrown to a guy with poor team defense (Demko, Hellebuyck, etc)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Three guys have started more than 20 games and have a GAA less than 2:

Grubauer
Vasilevskiy
Fleury

I think it is between Grubauer and Vasilevskiy. Grubauer leads all goalies in time on ice and shut outs. Vasilevskiy leads in wins.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't really understand where you are getting that from. Vasi, lankinen, Etc. Are putting up insane numbers, while goalie's like Demko, Helle, etc. Are carrying their team. Then you have guys like Grub, Varlamov who have been outstanding.

Maybe because there are more back to backs so starters aren't playing as much? But overall, I think it's about the same as a normal season.

Lankinen is definitely not putting up insane numbers.

He has <0.890 SV% in 3 of the 4 games since this tweet.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Vasi by default

runners up:

1. Grubauer
2. Fleury

I’d choose Grubauer because former cap + one more shutout that Flowers

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He may not make the cut but if someone ever deserved an honorable mention, it would be Mike Smith.

39 years old and playing his ass off, 18-6-2 record (has to be up there for win percentage), .924 save percentage. No one on this board called that going into the season.

Reactions: iCanada

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Vasilevski will win it but is Saros gonna get the nomination? Who else is there? Grubauer?

When this thread was started a month ago I was looking at Saros's numbers that looked good, but figured neither he nor Nashville would likely last, just a hot streak. But a month later - he's starting to look really, really good imo.

And unlike some of the other contenders (Vasi, Grubauer, Fleury - Varlamov even) - he isn't playing on a team whose been a top team, and near top of their division all year long. His strong play really helped Nashville turn their season around, and probably soon qualify for playoffs. Nashville was in close to last place of division and very far from playoffs as late as March 1st. They've staged a hell of a comeback, and Saros is now near the top in all major goalie stats.

I think he has a shot at not only a nomination, but to win.

If I had to guess, the biggest contenders, in order are:

Vasi
Saros
Fleury
Varlamov (think he gets hurt by NYI's reputation as defense first team)

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I think 4 goalies deserve to be in top 3. Vasi, Fleury, Grubauer and Varlamov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad