Speculation: Who are the Wild going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
@BigT2002 Not sure where you're getting your information.

Seattle has the same odds the Vegas Knights did in 2017 meaning they'll have the same chance as the team with the third lowest point total and a 10.3 % chance of the #1 Pick.

Seattle will draft between 1 and 6. Vegas received the #6 pick via the lottery in 2017.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Seems fair to keep in mind that he is trying to remake this team in the middle of unprecedented uncertainty and financial clusterf#cktedness. Answering the phone these days in an NHL front office seems akin to being a mine fielder sweeper with just a stick. I still hate the Staal deal but as far a messages go, it had to be received loud and clear in the locker room.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seattle gets the #1 pick no matter what next year too right??

The bummer is even if the Wild are absolute horrid -- they STILL won't get the #1 overall :D

I don't remember how it works, but Vegas got the 6th pick in 2017.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Too early to really say but I am excited for the potential of this team, I think we see a younger forward core, with growing pains, but positive steps and this defense helps make it easy to succeed or at least play confidently. Watching some of these young creative players enter the team together and build chemistry could be a great storyline for next season. Just have to solve the goaltending correctly now, I think KK is up to the task, but I admit to not being a goalie expert in anyway. If we keep Dumba and the D continues to develop elite chemistry (seriously Soucy makes a 5 man rotation of defensive dominance) then we are literally just another lucky trade, or grab like Rossi, away from being a real threat (barring development goes well.) Imagine you find a way to add a guy like Connor McMichael to this group and I would sure be excited to watch.

I think this is how a team absolutely should be built though, get the defense in place first, then build the forwards with the veteran backstops to help them out. CAR escaped the basement with their D first, I bet EDM and BUF are wishing they had gone that route sooner.

The team will be a mix of reclamation projects, veteran leaders by example, and young talent with the willingness and flexibility to push themselves and learn. Sounds like a great development mix to me and something we were missing the last time around with the 2010 draft crew, the elite level D certainly helps make everything else easier. I am willing to buy in if that is generally the way this is approached.

Reactions: Hamms Mann

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Gotta love what BG is doing. The flexibility he has created moving forward is amazing. Can't believe he got rid of Dubnyk in this goalie market.
I gotta agree - expansion draft looming, legacy anchors from his predecessors, he has cleared out old-wood(Koivu, Staal, Dubs), brought in stop-gaps(Johanson, Bonino), and cleared the way to not be bent over by Seattle.
And that draft? Part luck, but top-heavy drafts have been rare in Wild history, and this looks to be a good one.
Add Kaprizov, and there is certainly gonna be a new-look to the Wild next season.

Reactions: ctmagic

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Losing Koivu will change the game a lot in the longer run (long because centers like JEE will still play defensive style like they've been taught), but the since the actual D-core is still solid, you can switch around the forwards and goalies quite a bit and still maintain some predictable defense. Teams that are chronically missing a core D are in a much worse position imo.

I think MN can make serious uplift without risking a complete freefall.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I gotta agree - expansion draft looming, legacy anchors from his predecessors, he has cleared out old-wood(Koivu, Staal, Dubs), brought in stop-gaps(Johanson, Bonino), and cleared the way to not be bent over by Seattle.
And that draft? Part luck, but top-heavy drafts have been rare in Wild history, and this looks to be a good one.
Add Kaprizov, and there is certainly gonna be a new-look to the Wild next season.

I bet one if not both Bonino/Johansson stay after this year

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
What kind of team is Billy Guerin trying to build? The guy knows championship culture and locker rooms.

I don't think he has put his stamp on anything yet other than he wasn't letting Brodin or Spurgeon get out the door. I haven't figured out what kind of team he is building yet? Gotta be quite a few more moves coming.
What is our roster currently?

I don't like that he shipped Donato out. Especially when he's a better version of Bjugstad, imo

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Successful offseason for me included checking the following boxes

1. No more Dubnyk
2. No more Donato
3. No more Rask (fingers crossed)
4. No more Greenway (fingers crossed)
5. No more Koivu
6. No more Galy

Checked a lot of boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.