Speculation: Who are the Wild going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
What kind of team is Billy Guerin trying to build? The guy knows championship culture and locker rooms.

I don't think he has put his stamp on anything yet other than he wasn't letting Brodin or Spurgeon get out the door. I haven't figured out what kind of team he is building yet? Gotta be quite a few more moves coming.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think it's too early to tell. His only acquisitions have been guys on expiring contracts. I think he got them as stopgaps, I don't think he expects either to be long term solutions to anything.

It's pretty clear he wants guys that will commit themselves 100% to winning and getting better. For lack of a better example, and because everyone will know what I mean, it sorta feels like he's going to try to build the team with the same idea that Herb Brooks built the 1980 US team.

I would also say that probably makes Rossi a pretty solid bet for our 9th pick if he's there. That guy has one of the highest drives in the draft. Granted, Brackett gets the final say there, but you get my point.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I think it's too early to tell. His only acquisitions have been guys on expiring contracts. I think he got them as stopgaps, I don't think he expects either to be long term solutions to anything.

It's pretty clear he wants guys that will commit themselves 100% to winning and getting better. For lack of a better example, and because everyone will know what I mean, it sorta feels like he's going to try to build the team with the same idea that Herb Brooks built the 1980 US team.

I would also say that probably makes Rossi a pretty solid bet for our 9th pick if he's there. That guy has one of the highest drives in the draft. Granted, Brackett gets the final say there, but you get my point.

I would say you are right. If I was going to guess. I would say he wants a team that's known for being really hard to play against. That team you know is going to grind and come at you all night. That was definitely not the Wild style of play last year.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
If we draft Askarov it will be clear he's taking the 90's Devils (team he was drafted by)approach.Building from the back,wilt a 1st round goaltenderand strong D core...But I don't think that's gonna happen.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So far, it's a team that is treading water, and not doing a very good job of it. Bjugstad and Johansson aren't building blocks, but below average place holders. Rask is still here. He shipped out our best C.

If he's tearing it down he's doing a bad job of it. If he's building something then he either hasn't started yet, or is doing a bad job of it. If he can't sign Soucy to a reasonable contract then we are going backwards.

This team needs a top six C, if not two, because he just traded away one for a LW. Until that happens, we can talk all we want about being " hard to play against"...replacing Koivu with Bjugstad or Rask sure isn't got got make that happen.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think Guerin's trying to drastically alter the complexion of the team. He clearly has confidence in the blueline; that's been the team's backbone for years now and will continue to be. Beyond that I think the goal is just to get younger and faster, clear out veterans so that younger players have spots to play themselves into, and try to cultivate a more meritocratic team. Firing Boudreau, trying to trade Parise and actually trading Staal were all surprising at the time, but in aggregate there's an obvious pattern there.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's true that Boudreau was older and slower than Evason.
More that he tended to be set in his ways with lines and usage, which probably doesn't help some of the locker room stuff. Spending the first month of the year tailoring lines around trying to get veterans going while scratching Fiala wasn't a great first impression.

Reactions: Mookie Blaylock

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks. I hope Bill is able to swing a deal for a top 6 Center. You’ve probably already had some of my fellow HF Canucks stop by regarding Brackett - very solid acquisition imho.

I was amongst those who was confused by the Staal - MJ deal, but with some time to reflect, I think that making moves to shift the culture is probably a good one.

I also respect that Bill isn’t afraid to shake things up, and it’s definitely made it interesting to follow your Team.

All the best as you move forward in this Rebuilding/Retooling? process. I really hope that Billy can keep moving pieces in order to improve your Team’s situation (whether through more Draft assets, increasing Cap Space & Trades)

Also looking forward to seeing Judd picking pieces to improve your future.

Cheers
33217BBA-1E23-4789-95ED-C6A8E08DD6AE.gif

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Hi folks. I hope Bill is able to swing a deal for a top 6 Center. You’ve probably already had some of my fellow HF Canucks stop by regarding Brackett - very solid acquisition imho.

I was amongst those who was confused by the Staal - MJ deal, but with some time to reflect, I think that making moves to shift the culture is probably a good one.

I also respect that Bill isn’t afraid to shake things up, and it’s definitely made it interesting to follow your Team.

All the best as you move forward in this Rebuilding/Retooling? process. I really hope that Billy can keep moving pieces in order to improve your Team’s situation (whether through more Draft assets, increasing Cap Space & Trades)

Also looking forward to seeing Judd picking pieces to improve your future.

Cheers
View attachment 369798
Yeah I'm still a bit confused by it but grew to not be bothered by it. My bet is the Wild are banking that Staal was going to even slow down even more this next season. I wasn't particular impressed with him. the regular season feels so long ago so i might be misremembering but didn't he had a bit of goal drought for a bit and a lot of his points later in the season came from Fiala.

Truthfully I think JC might score more points as the Wild's 2C vs Staal as the Sabre's 2C.

I agree it seems to be a culture move. Not that Staal is a bad lockerroom presence, actually he is the opposite. I think Guerin wants to break some of the younger guys into leadership roles. Trading Staal forces the young guys into a sink or swim moment for leadership. MJ trains with Brodin and EK in the offseason. Maybe there sparks a bit of lockerroom chemistry there.

We will see if they shake up helps the Wild or hurts them. Standing pat is just like the definition of insanity though "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
I am very clearly in the minority of fans with my opinions but I wasn't upset with the Staal trade.

I like MoJo and think he can actually play center for this team. Ideally 2C but we will see if a trade is made for our future 1C. I also think think that maybe GMBG is preparing himself for the future with this trade. The idea of Staal bringing more back in a trade makes sense until you consider who is on his no trade list. Now if MoJo has a solid season and the Wild are out of it, they can trade him at the deadline and get a pick from a team versus not being able to move Staal.

From watching this team in the play in round it wasn't close to contending this year, so why not shuffle things and see what happens? The worst that happens is we get a higher pick, which we can use.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm putting the trade down to male menopause. Would rather that he had bought an expensive sports car or had an affair with his secretary, but what's done is done.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I am very clearly in the minority of fans with my opinions but I wasn't upset with the Staal trade.

I like MoJo and think he can actually play center for this team. Ideally 2C but we will see if a trade is made for our future 1C. I also think think that maybe GMBG is preparing himself for the future with this trade. The idea of Staal bringing more back in a trade makes sense until you consider who is on his no trade list. Now if MoJo has a solid season and the Wild are out of it, they can trade him at the deadline and get a pick from a team versus not being able to move Staal.

From watching this team in the play in round it wasn't close to contending this year, so why not shuffle things and see what happens? The worst that happens is we get a higher pick, which we can use.
honestly i was hoping for a pick coming back but im not against the trade. i agree we showed that we wont be competing this year so why not take a few risks and if nothing else we shoot for a top 5 pick.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
honestly i was hoping for a pick coming back but im not against the trade. i agree we showed that we wont be competing this year so why not take a few risks and if nothing else we shoot for a top 5 pick.

I just think with Staal blocking most contending teams it could still end up with us getting a pick for MoJo at the deadline.

Im sick of watching the same team do the same things and lose. Why not shake as much up as possible.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I just think with Staal blocking most contending teams it could still end up with us getting a pick for MoJo at the deadline.

Im sick of watching the same team do the same things and lose. Why not shake as much up as possible.
agreed. at the very least maybe he becomes a serviceable 2c here and puts up 50 points making other teams very interesting in him for a playoff run and we get a 3rd 1st for next year.

either way iv wanted a shakeup for quite some time with this team. im glad its happening and that it bothers people. break the comfortability and make people start to freak out in a sense that they may fear for their job.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
So far, it's a team that is treading water, and not doing a very good job of it. Bjugstad and Johansson aren't building blocks, but below average place holders. Rask is still here. He shipped out our best C.

If he's tearing it down he's doing a bad job of it. If he's building something then he either hasn't started yet, or is doing a bad job of it. If he can't sign Soucy to a reasonable contract then we are going backwards.

This team needs a top six C, if not two, because he just traded away one for a LW. Until that happens, we can talk all we want about being " hard to play against"...replacing Koivu with Bjugstad or Rask sure isn't got got make that happen.
Soucy has reached UFA status according to the CBA.

If Guerin is able to re-sign him it will be at market value NOT a reasonable contract that you stated

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018

If the deal is to create a team that is hard to play against trading Staal wasn't a bad thing. Shakes things up

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I don't think Guerin's trying to drastically alter the complexion of the team. He clearly has confidence in the blueline; that's been the team's backbone for years now and will continue to be. Beyond that I think the goal is just to get younger and faster, clear out veterans so that younger players have spots to play themselves into, and try to cultivate a more meritocratic team. Firing Boudreau, trying to trade Parise and actually trading Staal were all surprising at the time, but in aggregate there's an obvious pattern there.

Agreed. Unlike Fenton, I think he has clear vision on how he wants this team to look. That's why it doesn't surprise on those moves either

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't understand the "Fenton didn't have a vision" narrative. Fenton came out and said he wanted to get younger and faster, he traded Granlund, Nino, Coyle for Fiala, Rask, Donato. He did what he said he was going to do.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I don't understand the "Fenton didn't have a vision" narrative. Fenton came out and said he wanted to get younger and faster, he traded Granlund, Nino, Coyle for Fiala, Rask, Donato. He did what he said he was going to do.

That's not a vision. Those are statements. Every single GM can say we want to get younger and faster and stronger and quicker....

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's not a vision. Those are statements. Every single GM can say we want to get younger and faster and stronger and quicker....

So on what basis do you say Guerin has a vision and Fenton didn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->