Who are the Untouchable Sharks?

TreeLane

Jul 12, 2020
The players that are a firm part of the core, should not be trade bait etc. My take:

Couture
Hertl
Meier
Karlsson
Kane
Ferraro

Not including Burns because I think it is a possible way to get out from under that contract to have him picked by Seattle. 8mil more cap space could do us wonders.

What say ye?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The players that are a firm part of the core, should not be trade bait etc. My take:

Couture
Hertl
Meier
Karlsson
Kane
Ferraro

Not including Burns because I think it is a possible way to get out from under that contract to have him picked by Seattle. 8mil more cap space could do us wonders.

What say ye?
There is no player on the Sharks who is untouchable. The only player I would considerable borderline untouchable is Karlsson but given his combination of age, contract and injury history I don't know about that either.

Regarding the other players on the list, none of them are top-3 at their positions. None of them are on great contracts other than Ferraro who is on an ELC. And while Ferraro is really good, to me, if you get a better player in return, you make the trade.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
The only untouchable player is Vlasic because he's basically Albert Haynesworth circa Washington Football Team.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I would not trade burns, every one on that original list outside of karlsson should go before burns.

Burns when at the top of his game can and will for atleast another 4-5 years of that contract take over games with the way he plays the game. Nobody on that list can do that outside of karlsson.

And the only way i allow burns to be picked by seattle is if they were willing to give up there 1st 4 1st round picks unprotected to the sharks to put him on the list.

Reactions: Phu

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Nobody.

If Wayne frigging Gretzky can be traded, there's no excuse for claiming that any other player in this organization now can't be. Or really at any point of this org's history.

Prime, post-Hart Joe Thornton shouldn't have been untouchable either. Because by definition "untouchable" means if Pittsburgh came along and offered Crosby/Malkin and 4 1sts that the Sharks would automatically say "no". But that'd be stupid.

There are absolutely guys I wouldn't want to trade except in very lopsided moves. Or that I think likely don't have workable deals out there on account of bad contract terms, NTC/NMC involvement, or lack of perceived value around the league. But just because someone probably wouldn't be dealt for a reason like that doesn't mean they should be considered totally and unilaterally off-limits.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Hertl, Karlsson. I’d also so I wouldn’t move Merkley until they think we know what he is. He could be a Josi/Markov/Keith or Marc-Andre Bergeron or anything in between.

Not sure we’ve ever had a prospect with his ability.

also to Nems point I’d trade all three of them for McDavid or McKinnon, but my point is assuming you’re not getting a better player, you keep those three.

Reactions: Phu and Sandisfan

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
This is an interesting question. I would say: Hertl, couture, karlsson, kane, and meier. Merkley and Ferraro are also 2 players we should be very hesitant to trade.

If however we are not competitive again next season (as I sadly think we won't be) then the only players we should hold onto are : meier, hertl, Merkley, and Ferraro.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Nobody. Everyone, everything should be on the table if it makes us better.

Doug's plan? Who knows!

I've long been in favour of a rebuild of this team but I appreciate it ain't happening.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
The only game-breaking talents on the roster as of now are Burns and Karlsson. The only "untouchables" would be either game-breakers or absolutely indispensable locker-room leaders. Given the organization's approach to players like Marleau and Pavelski, I don't expect DW to hold out for sentimentality.

I'm not as doom-and-gloom about either of Burns and Karlsson as some on the board seem to be, so I don't expect that the organization sees either contract as something they have to prioritize getting away from; and I trust the Sharks' pro scouting enough not to make the team worse by trading anyone (unless they're trying for another sneaky half rebuild like 2014/15). So any potential deals for those two would probably have to be stupid-lopsided, but I doubt DW the tire-kicker would hang up the phone at the mention of their names.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Nobody is untouchable. If it were a generational talent, (Crosby, Ovechkin,Gretzky etc) which we don't have, I'd say THAT player would be untouchable. We have very valuable players, but if DW needed to flip those chips, there isn't a chip on this team I think he wouldn't throw on the table. EK is the only guy that comes to mind and pretty much we have to keep him at this point to save face. I mean, we lost out on a lottery pick for the guy.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Considering how terrible the team currently is there's probably nobody that's legitimately untouchable

If I were in charge I'd do my best to avoid trading Meier, Hertl and Karlsson, but even they could be had for the right price

Everyone else is expendable

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: ktice and Phu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->