Who are the top 3 goaltenders in the NHL (choose 3 options)?

Who are the top 3 goaltenders in the NHL (choose 3 options)?

• Total voters

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well, you see Price had a good stint in a round 1 loss, that's going to put enough air in his tires for at least 3 years. But seriously, Price is good and I never got nearly as down on him as some but there is absolutely no reason to pick him over Rask.

Rask keeps putting up elite numbers behing contending defense and the defense under rebuild.
In the playoffs, during regular season consistently and yet here we are

Reactions: Morrison

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Rask keeps putting up elite numbers behing contending defense and the defense under rebuild.
In the playoffs, during regular season consistently and yet here we are

Yeah, it's always a good idea to keep in mind how heavily false media narratives drive general hockey perceptions. The talking heads say something and stand by it no matter what actually happens and even though they don't like admitting most fans eat it up. And it's not like these so-called "experts" are above being challenged, they watch a game for a living and are wrong as often as they're right.

Price has a good week he's God. Rask has a good decade, he's inconsistent. I see where it comes from, watch Sportsnet for a night and they will stuff Price so far down your throat he's about to come out the other side, after a while it works on most.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Well, you see Price had a good stint in a round 1 loss, that's going to put enough air in his tires for at least 3 years. But seriously, Price is good and I never got nearly as down on him as some but there is absolutely no reason to pick him over Rask.
It’s absolutely bonkers. Goalies have one job; It’s not super-complicated to tell how good they are at it lol.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Markstrom Demko and Domingue...... ;)

Vasilevski Rask and Gibson

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Can I ask why the Rangers third goalie is an option here?

I'm not sure I'd vote for Shestyorkin yet in the top 3, but its close. Georgiyev is not a top 25 goalie in the league.

Shesterkin isn't close yet. He played 12 regular season games, and one playoff game that he lost. He has a lot more to prove before he is considered up there. Based on ability, he could be top-10 right now, but his sample is still too small.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Shestyorkin has all the makings of the first truly elite netminder in a long time. His small sample size got me really excited and evokes feelings of nostalgia for past elite goalies.

But it’s still only 12 NHL games. So I can’t say anything more while keeping a straight face.

For now, it’s Hellebuyck and Vasilevskiy and then every one else. Rask is third, but firmly below them to me. Everyone else is too inconsistent/ doesn’t play enough/shares too much time/living off past glory/overrated as hell.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Why isn't that Elvis guy on the Jackets listed? Isn't he a future GOAT?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shesterkin isn't close yet. He played 12 regular season games, and one playoff game that he lost. He has a lot more to prove before he is considered up there. Based on ability, he could be top-10 right now, but his sample is still too small.

There’s no initiation needed. You either are good enough or you’re not. If you want to give a tiebreaker to a player with a very good career already in the NHL, I won’t even disagree, but if someone produces worse, doesn’t look as good, and is less talented than an NHL rookie, the rookie might be better. Rookies absolutely need to be in consideration, if they’re good enough.

As I said, not top three yet, in my opinion, but to not even list him and instead list the Rangers third goalie makes no sense.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Based on their recent games and how it's projecting, in my opinion Rask, Vasilevski and Korpisalo.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
It’s absolutely bonkers. Goalies have one job; It’s not super-complicated to tell how good they are at it lol.

Maybe you could get a hint from the players that actually lace up, play the game and have to shoot on these guys...........Guess who got 41.55% of the vote?
NHLPA Player Poll 2019-20

Reactions: Gains

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
There’s no initiation needed. You either are good enough or you’re not. If you want to give a tiebreaker to a player with a very good career already in the NHL, I won’t even disagree, but if someone produces worse, doesn’t look as good, and is less talented than an NHL rookie, the rookie might be better. Rookies absolutely need to be in consideration, if they’re good enough.

As I said, not top three yet, in my opinion, but to not even list him and instead list the Rangers third goalie makes no sense.

If that's the case, you can argue Demko is better than him, because he displayed goaltending most goaltenders will never achieve in the NHL against the Knights [if sample size is irrelevant]. Merzlikins could be put in front of him as well for recently having a solid regular season.

If it's based on ability you still need to have Rask, Vasilevsky, Price, Gibson, Lehner, Hart, Markstrom, Bishop comfortably in front of him. Nothing he did in those 12 regular season games and one playoff loss has him in front of any of those goalies. Thats also assuming two time Vezina winner Bobrovsky does not bounce back. If two goalies look similar in ability, and one has played hundreds more games doing so, you always go with the goaltender who has experience.

Like I said, if his 12 games are valid, Demkos recent stint against the Knights should be considered, because on pure ability, it was some of the best goaltending I've ever seen.

If its based on what you've seen from Shesterkin you can argue he is currently a border line top-10 talent in goal. Even based on ability, you cannot realistically rank him top-3 or close to it, given the number of net minders who have the same or better ability over much larger samples.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Shesty is not a top 3 goalie. Still, we would like our actual starting goalie in the poll next time please, thanks.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad