• Eichel

• E.Staal

• Karlsson

• Toews

Results are only viewable after voting.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Mcdavid, Crosby, Malkin, Matthews, Mackinnon, Tavares, Bergeron, Kopitar

I think those 8 are very very firmly in my list. And yes - recency bias is playing a huge role into my listing Matthews here, because i don't think i'd have argued him here in the off-season. But he always had the potential to move up quickly, and with such a hot start it seems silly to leave him off.

I voted Stamkos and Getzlaf for remaining 2 - but i think those 2 spots are wide open. I'm honestly not sure how good Getzlaf still is or if he's lost a step - i know he would have been here not too long ago, not sure anymore. Stamkos put up great numbers last year, but his overall game seems to be a bit off, so i could see leaving him off too.

Other worthy candidates imo include:

Kuznetov (sample size - but fantastic last year), Backstrom, Seguin (a cpl of "meh" seasons - potential to shoot back up high though as talent is there), Schiefele (never been too high on him tbh)

Maybe Barkov
and Eichel - like Matthews - has potential to shoot up this list very drastically as talent is there, he just needs to put something special together.
Toews - I feel as though he could rebound too, but until he does then no.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Interesting.

Matthews has 3 more goals than Barkov's entire ****ing team combined yet Barkov eh?

Matthews is career 50% shooter going forward.

Also games played, but you know looking past the surface is too hard.

Reactions: varank

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Top 10

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Mackinnon
Matthews
Bergeron
Kopitar
Tavares
Barkov
Schiefele

Bubble

* Seguin
* Kuznetsov
* Stamkos

Barkov is in, Stamkos is out from the list last year. Kinda surprised Stammer is 13th in votes.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
... You have to add Sebastian Aho.

Or maybe you can watch him play and see how good he is right NOW, which is what this thread is about? It's not about career achievements.

Aho wouldnt get close to enough votes. Barzal had 85pts last year and has 12 votes. Draisaitl has had back to back 70+ and he has 1 vote. Eric Staal coming off 40+ goals has 2 votes

if this was a top 20, I would definitely throw him in

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
The constant underrating of Seguin on this board is nauseating. I guess averaging 34+ goals and 76+ points a season for the last 5 seasons (This season he is on a tear already) is not enough to crack the top 10.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The constant underrating of Seguin on this board is nauseating. I guess averaging 34+ goals and 76+ points a season for the last 5 seasons (This season he is on a tear already) is not enough to crack the top 10.

I voted for Seguin. Just out of curiousity who would you bump? Schiefele? Bergeron? Tavares?

JT is averaging 34g/76pts over the last 4 seasons as well so those two are close IMHO. I'd have JT at 7 and Seguin at 9 maybe

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

you have to factor in more then just offense when ranking player at C.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I voted for Seguin. Just out of curiousity who would you bump? Schiefele? Bergeron? Tavares?

JT is averaging 34g/76pts over the last 4 seasons as well so those two are close IMHO. I'd have JT at 7 and Seguin at 9 maybe
Schiefele for sure, people love to calculate playoff numbers when they talk about him in comparison to Seguin. The problem with that is you can't use that when seguin didn't make the playoffs. I'm sure i will get flak but Bergeron should be lower on that list. Yes he is superior on defense than most but when was the last time he even broke 70 points in the NHL? The answer is NEVER. Tavares and Seguin are on par with each other more so than the others.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
McDavid a clear #1, Malkin #2, Crosby maybe debatable at 3 with Mackinnon or Matthews. After that it’s too close to judge

Edit: I accidentally put Matthews at #1... what is wrong with me

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Schiefele for sure, people love to calculate playoff numbers when they talk about him in comparison to Seguin. The problem with that is you can't use that when seguin didn't make the playoffs. I'm sure i will get flak but Bergeron should be lower on that list. Yes he is superior on defense than most but when was the last time he even broke 70 points in the NHL? The answer is NEVER. Tavares and Seguin are on par with each other more so than the others.

Well this is just not true lol, Bergeron would've easily hit 70 last year he just had a couple injuries, and this year he has 11 in 5 so far. Also he has hit 70 points twice in his career, so the answer is definitely not "never".

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Malkin, Kopitar and Matthews are all musts.

This last 4? I dunno. You can make a case for a lot of guys depending on what you value.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Um...he broke 70 for the first time when he was 20...

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
My list in no particular order

McDavid
Crosby
Matthews
Tavares
Toews
Mackinnon
Bergeron
Kuznetsov
Malkin
Scheifele

I'll admit that most will roast me about not having Kopitar on my list. I do not watch him enough to be able to formulate a valid opinion on his play. I wasn't going to put him in my list simply on popular opinion.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Well this is just not true lol, Bergeron would've easily hit 70 last year he just had a couple injuries, and this year he has 11 in 5 so far. Also he has hit 70 points twice in his career, so the answer is definitely not "never".
I'm sorry i didn't look back almost a decade and a half ago. So how is this, when was the last time he hit 70 points? Oh i remember when Savard, Briere and Heatley were still great players. What have you done offensively in the last decade?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
He's superior on defense than every single center in the world. It's not "most" it's "all" and he will be among 70-80 point players this year, and would have been last year, too.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
He's superior on defense than every single center in the world. It's not "most" it's "all" and he will be among 70-80 point players this year, and would have been last year, too.
Would of, should of, could of... he didn't!

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'm sorry i didn't look back almost a decade and a half ago. So how is this, when was the last time he hit 70 points? Oh i remember when Savard, Briere and Heatley were still great players. What have you done offensively in the last decade?

I couldn't imagine being a hockey fan and not realizing Bergeron is one of the best players in the world, I've seen some absolutely great players play the game over the years and pretty much everyone get smoked by Bergeron head to head, every time. He will easily hit 70 points this year, probably 80+ realistically, in your mind is that all that matters in determining how good a hockey player is?

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Top 10

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Mackinnon
Matthews
Bergeron
Kopitar
Tavares
Barkov
Schiefele

Bubble

* Seguin
* Kuznetsov
* Stamkos

Barkov is in, Stamkos is out from the list last year. Kinda surprised Stammer is 13th in votes.

Agree with this list. Barkov deserves to be in the top-10

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I couldn't imagine being a hockey fan and not realizing Bergeron is one of the best players in the world, I've seen some absolutely great players play the game over the years and pretty much everyone get smoked by Bergeron head to head, every time. He will easily hit 70 points this year, probably 80+ realistically, in your mind is that all that matters in determining how good a hockey player is?
Two way he his great, offensively he is middle of the pack. So if you average that out he will end up one of the best two-way players in the game and that is about it. Not saying that is not a great accomplishment but that is how he will be remembered. It seems HF tends to overvalue defensive forwards while almost completely undervaluing offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad