Speculation: who are the next players headed to the NHL?

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
I'm also not suggesting he should have been drafted in the top 10. It's just he was never a total scrub, but a 170cm tall player just has to deal with that perception by GMs. Regardless of the nationality.
Panarin is nowhere near 170 cm though, it's more about him being underweight. Still, the players of his frame get drafted on a regular basis. It's a combination of factors, including him playing in the KHL as opposed to the CHL and not having international showcase, that undermine his draft rankings. If he was Timmy Panarman from Kitchener, Ontario, he'd be overscouted and we'd never have this conversation.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He simply joined Ak Bars...

{Mod}

firstly the roster dictates less minutes for all forwards. We do not have as a Kovalchuk or a Zaripov. They are all pretty evensecond to firstliners, but no superstars.

And then what exactly did Malyknin do in the KHL? One good season being a top forward on a bubble team with all the minutes? That doesn't mean he'd produce the next season just as well, especially not being the top dog.

There are bunches of players who should produce more if you go by their production in the past. Yet you concentrate on bashing AkBars for what exactly?

Malykhin will be fine. His production dip is absolutely normal. He's young and he's learning. This ist the new experience for him, being on a stacked team and being on a team that actually expects to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Panarin is nowhere near 170 cm though, it's more about him being underweight. Still, the players of his frame get drafted on a regular basis. It's a combination of factors, including him playing in the KHL as opposed to the CHL and not having international showcase, that undermine his draft rankings. If he was Timmy Panarman from Kitchener, Ontario, he'd be overscouted and we'd never have this conversation.

Of course being canadian and playing in the CHL helps. But only drafting wise. For his development stying in Russia was pure gold.

But the exposure was there. And there was enough of it. Just look at Kitsyn. Being Kuznetsov's sidekick was enough to get drafted... to no avail. I always thought they overreacted after the WJC.

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
{Mod}

firstly the roster dictates less minutes for all forwards. We do not have as a Kovalchuk or a Zaripov. They are all pretty evensecond to firstliners, but no superstars.

And then what exactly did Malyknin do in the KHL? One good season being a top forward on a bubble team with all the minutes? That doesn't mean he'd produce the next season just as well, especially not being the top dog.

There are bunches of players who should produce more if you go by their production in the past. Yet you concentrate on bashing AkBars for what exactly?

Malykhin will be fine. His production dip is absolutely normal. He's young and he's learning. This ist the new experience for him, being on a stacked team and being on a team that actually expects to win.

Not that I want to defend a fellow countryman, but "He simply joined Ak Bars...." to me means exactly what you're saying: Avto wasn't a contender, Ak Bars is.... everything else derives from that.
Hopefully the management in Kazan will have the right amount of patience with Malykhin

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Not that I want to defend a fellow countryman, but "He simply joined Ak Bars...." to me means exactly what you're saying: Avto wasn't a contender, Ak Bars is.... everything else derives from that.

This is what I meant... being on a contender team means to swap minutes with other top players and, consequently, produce less. This doesn't mean that he's less valuable of a player.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I don't see Sobotka returning to the NHL anytime soon. He is not really a big loss for St. Louis and he seems to do a great job in Omsk.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Of course being canadian and playing in the CHL helps. But only drafting wise. For his development stying in Russia was pure gold.

But the exposure was there. And there was enough of it. Just look at Kitsyn. Being Kuznetsov's sidekick was enough to get drafted... to no avail. I always thought they overreacted after the WJC.
I wasn't talking about player development, give it a rest already.

The exposure was a bit late, being undersized, overaged and Russian seems to be too enigmatic for most NHL GMs to handle, the only under the radar kid from that Buffalo roster who got subsequently drafted was 187/95 Sobchenko.

mark24

Jun 17, 2013
So what is written regarding KHL contracts? Can any player just kinda pack up and head to the NHL at the end of any KHL season?

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
So what is written regarding KHL contracts? Can any player just kinda pack up and head to the NHL at the end of any KHL season?
European hockey works essentially like European soccer, players and clubs may agree on buyouts.

Peter Skudra

Nucks fan since '02
Nov 10, 2013
Seattle with JNelson
Speaking of guys moving to the North America before there contract expires what are the odds of Nikita Tryamkin moving to North America next season? (absolutely could be wrong but I believe he is under contract with Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg through the 2015-2016 season)

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Speaking of guys moving to the North America before there contact expires what are the odds of Nikita Tryamkin moving to North America next season? (absolutely could be wrong but I believe he is under contact with Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg through the 2015-2016 season)

Hecould if he wanted. It's up to him more or less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->