Who are the new Caps/OV?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Thats just it. Tampa and San Jose have gotten to conference finals and stanley cup finals. Those caps teams literally spent a decade unable to move past round 2. I don't think we'll see something like that for a while. But Toronto is on pace so far :sarcasm:
"I hate when Leaf fans always bring up the Leafs in every thread"

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
TBL had Stamkos and Hedman since 2009. It's been 10 years, why aren't they considered chokers but Washington was...Because OV is not Canadian/Swede?

The Capitals hadn't won more than 1 series in the playoffs since 1998... until they signed Kris Letang last season

Reactions: Tweed

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Damn I’m so happy Ovi won.
All those no cups jokes and choket labels were real depressing

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Sharks for sure

But the Lightning are a close 2nd, if they can't win a Cup in the next few years, their window might pass them by and they'll go down as big chokers

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The closet would be Tampa and Stamkos. Thornton/San Jose is second but the days of Jumbo Joe as a superstar have sadly passed so it is not as comparable as Tampa.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The caps were labeled chokers because they spent a decade of having really strong teams only to go out in the first or second round.

vBjvcsT.png

Sounds eerily similar to the Sens of the late 90's and early 2000's.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
The closet would be Tampa and Stamkos. Thornton/San Jose is second but the days of Jumbo Joe as a superstar have sadly passed so it is not as comparable as Tampa.

Stamkos is not even close, He was so young and has had multiple fluke injuries since.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Stamkos is not even close, He was so young and has had multiple fluke injuries since.

I think you're missing one aspect of Stamkos that does speak to him being the next big "choker". Wrongly of course but it's there. If memory serves the announcers gave the stat that Stamkos has played in 7 career game sevens and has zero points. Also I think Tampa has played in 3 game 7's in the conference finals in the last 4-5 years?

Reactions: sharks9

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I think you're missing one aspect of Stamkos that does speak to him being the next big "choker". Wrongly of course but it's there. If memory serves the announcers gave the stat that Stamkos has played in 7 career game sevens and has zero points. Also I think Tampa has played in 3 game 7's in the conference finals in the last 4-5 years?

Past 2 conference finals, Tampa blew 3-2 series leads and rolled over like dying dogs in the process.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Ovechkin carried the weight of 44 years of playoff disaster on his back.

For more than a decade, we saw the Caps meltdown in ways we didn’t think were possible. The losses seemed like they were crippling to Ovechkin.

After 13 years, his year went like this:
- started the season with BtB hat tricks
- scored a hat trick on HNiC is honor of I’ll fan, also named Alex
- scores his 600 goal
- leads the postseason in goals
- Wins the Conn Smythe
- Wins the Cup
- Carries the Cup through the MGM Grand
- had a woman flash him while carrying the Cup
- Took over city, a football town, now our greatest ever athlete
- lead, what seemed to be, the greatest ever Cup celebration

Stats aside, that may be the single greatest season any player has ever had.

As a Caps fan, I can honestly say Ovechkin is a legend. I can also say, we’ll probably never see anything like this ever again.

Reactions: Toene

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
TBL had Stamkos and Hedman since 2009. It's been 10 years, why aren't they considered chokers but Washington was...Because OV is not Canadian/Swede?
Because Tampa has gone much further in the playoffs than the Caps had before last season. Also as someone said, Ovechkin is waaaay ahead of Stamkos.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey

For more than a decade, we saw the Caps meltdown in ways we didn’t think were possible. The losses seemed like they were crippling to Ovechkin.

- scores his 600 goal
- Wins the Conn Smythe
- Wins the Cup

As a Caps fan, I can honestly say Ovechkin is a legend. I can also say, we’ll probably never see anything like this ever again.

Not sure if Washington is a football town. More of a corrupt politician, dead weight bureaucrat, and prostitute town.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

- scores his 600 goal
- Wins the Conn Smythe
- Wins the Cup

I thought it meant what you posted as well but the OP was really just getting another dig in at Ovechkin by asking who the next perennial loser is who finally makes good. ;)

Who is the new team/with their star player not being able to take their team over the top the last 5+ yearsband win a cup.
:sarcasm:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I thought it meant what you posted as well but the OP was really just getting another dig in at Ovechkin by asking who the next perennial loser is who finally makes good. ;)

:sarcasm:
No Happy for OV and that he won.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
3 presidents trophies. Multiple rocket richard,hart and Lindsay trophies

These put a target on your back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->