Who are the most surprising players to never be Captain of an NHL team?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Doesn't have to be the best players, just guys that you identify with certain teams and immediately think "they must have been captain". Some examples:

Frank Mahovlich
Bobby Orr
Guy Lafleur
Bryan Trottier
Patrice Bergeron

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Ryan+Smyth+Vancouver+Canucks+v+Edmonton+Oilers+PAyv-I5OFHAl.jpg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Paul Coffey, Mark Recchi, Pavel Datsyuk. Larry Robinson. Mike Bossy

To be fair to the number of hall of fame Montreal players that were never captain, during the 60s, 70s they have Beliveau, Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer and Bob Gainey whom are all also HoF players.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
To be fair, it was only one game. Classy move by the Oilers to surprise him with it on his last game though.

They made him change Jerseys at center ice before puck drop.
I misunderstood lol. I thought there was some implication about "NHL" part of the question...

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010

To be fair to the number of hall of fame Montreal players that were never captain, during the 60s, 70s they have Beliveau, Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer and Bob Gainey whom are all also HoF players.

Steve Yzerman, Nick Lidstrom, and Henrik Zetterberg were the captains over Datsyuk's career. Really not at all surprising as to why he wasn't ever C.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Pretty sure Bergeron has worn the "C" whenever Chara was injured and couldn't play (which hasn't been very often).

But yeah, if there wasn't a HOF Defenseman currently holding the "C" with the Bruins who's been with the team almost as long a Bergeron, he totally would have been named full-time Captain by now.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Doesn't have to be the best players, just guys that you identify with certain teams and immediately think "they must have been captain". Some examples:

Frank Mahovlich
Bobby Orr
Guy Lafleur
Bryan Trottier
Patrice Bergeron
Bryan Trottier was captain material in a vacuum.

But looking at why he wasn't captain, it makes sense. The dynasty Islanders had multiple players worthy of the captaincy, but obviously only one of them was able to be.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
None of it surprises me. Being a top player is not the key requirement for a good Captain. It’s the one job that should only be about the intangibles, the only skill requirement should be being good enough to play every night.

The Captaincy has become less important in recent years as it seems to be used as a marketing tool and to pump the ego’s of star players. So if you look at LA, Brown should still be Captain or perhaps Kyle Clifford. As much as I love Kopi, he’s not the right guy.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014

Mark Recchi??

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Frank Mahovlich
Bobby Orr
Guy Lafleur
Bryan Trottier
Patrice Bergeron

Bergeron is not surprising at all. Chara has been the Captain of the Bruins and no one else has a chance if there is already a heavily respected leader as Captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad