Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Its the playoffs, bud.

Everything is different.

Well, that is the difference. But its not like Montreal really transforms their basic strategy from the regular season.... And I didn't see enough finish in the first round to feel better about scoring goals.

Fast teams are montreal's weakness.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Have to take advantage of a tired team. Game 7, travel to Montreal, game next day. Should go out and hit them.

This seems like a series where Smith-Pelly can take over if he's physical. Tampa Bay has some defensemen that don't like to get hit, and they need to be plastered.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
We swept them last playoffs. It's crazy to think people put more weight on the regular season with one team having a chip on their shoulders than what actually mattered.

This.

There were some regular season games where they had us at a disadvantage schedule wise too. Totally different game in the playoffs.

PricePkPatch*

Well, that is the difference. But its not like Montreal really transforms their basic strategy from the regular season.... And I didn't see enough finish in the first round to feel better about scoring goals.

Fast teams are montreal's weakness.

Finish in first round was hurt badly by Anderson climbing in our head after Game 4.

Bishop is good. But he aint Anderson good.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
As long as MT doesn't tell his team to play passive and wait for Tampa Bay to make mistakes, the Habs will be fine. If anything, the Habs have to force Tampa Bay to cause turnovers and force them to make poor puck decisions.

The Habs have to clog up the neutral zone, forecheck hard, and not let Tampa dictate the pace of the game. It will be key for the Habs to take Game 1 at home.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Finish in first round was hurt badly by Anderson climbing in our head after Game 4.

Bishop is good. But he aint Anderson good.

Well, I think that can be debated. Bishop has had a very good career against Montreal, and I know that the counter argument is that its all regular season.

We will see.

PricePkPatch*

Well, I think that can be debated. Bishop has had a very good career against Montreal, and I know that the counter argument is that its all regular season.

We will see.

Fair enough. Pointless to debate these finer points right now ;)

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
We have to win the first game. Well rested, home game, get the monkey off. Beat them convincingly the opening game will change a lot of things. Put pressure and doubt back to them. Show them playoffs are another thing...

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site

We will see.

He ain't no Vezina caliber goalie. We will prevail. Ottawa beat them with their hamburger guy 2-1 in April. We took care of that matter pretty easily (hamburger guy, I mean).

This is NOT the Edmonton Oilers of the 80's. You guys make them to be bigger than what those Blue Pukes are. They are a young, dynamic club, built through mediocrity, that has been beaten before.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
As long as MT doesn't tell his team to play passive and wait for Tampa Bay to make mistakes, the Habs will be fine. If anything, the Habs have to force Tampa Bay to cause turnovers and force them to make poor puck decisions.

The Habs have to clog up the neutral zone, forecheck hard, and not let Tampa dictate the pace of the game. It will be key for the Habs to take Game 1 at home.

Take away their speed, watch for the stretch pass, respect bishop's puck handling (smarter dumps).

That stuff has killed us all year against tampa.

Its pretty much the kinds of things that kills Boston when they play Montreal.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Take away their speed, watch for the stretch pass, respect bishop's puck handling (smarter dumps).

That stuff has killed us all year against tampa.

Its pretty much the kinds of things that kills Boston when they play Montreal.

Can't see the Habs not being motivated by this series. They're a disciplined team unlike those Bruins teams that wanted to hurt the Habs more than win.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The only people that care about stats are these homer analysts.. they mean nothing right now.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We swept them last playoffs. It's crazy to think people put more weight on the regular season with one team having a chip on their shoulders than what actually mattered.

I have no idea how we can consider the playoffs and Anders Lindback as a sign that we can compete with them. It might not be as easy, but it is easy to see that it's a bad matchup. We hate teams that are fast and play hockey. We prefer when, like the Bruins, or like the SEns tried, to be physical and forget to play hockey. We have seen that numerous times during the season too.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I have no idea how we can consider the playoffs and Anders Lindback as a sign that we can compete with them. It might not be as easy, but it is easy to see that it's a bad matchup. We hate teams that are fast and play hockey. We prefer when, like the Bruins, or like the SEns tried, to be physical and forget to play hockey. We have seen that numerous times during the season too.

First of all, when Price went down against the NYR we didn't fold like a cheap tent like TB did. We took the best team in the East to 6 games. Yeah Tokarski played pretty good, but he posted a .916 SV% so it wasn't like he was a world beater by any means. We dominated TB in shots and possession the whole series, they didn't get helped by their goaltending but it certainly wasn't the sole reason they lost by any means.

Secondly, not sure where this narrative of "getting beat by fast teams" really came from. Why because we lost to the NYR? They are just a better team in just about every facet than us. We often get beat because teams forecheck our defensemen and trap us in our defensive zone, is this conducive to a fast team? Not necessarily.

Ottawa is a fast team and score a lot of their goals off the rush, it wasn't much of a problem against them. We actually do quite well in minimizing odd-man rushes against for the most part.

I thought one of the biggest reasons TB did so poorly against us last playoffs was because they had no forecheck game whatsoever. Cooper didn't recognize this as a weakness and he didn't ever try to exploit at all.

We'll see how they do this time but I am far from gloomy about this matchup. Regular season means absolutely squat-diddily-****-all in the playoffs.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Bolts were 5-0 against us during the regular season.

Sens were 3-1 against us during the regular season.

Sens playing golf.

Go Habs Go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad