Movies: Who are the early 2019 Oscar Contenders?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Golden Globe nominations are out and, with rare exceptions, the movie choices are overall a very weak lot in my opinion:

Golden Globe nominations: See the full list of 2019 nominees - CNN

I know anything from the Globes comes with a hefty shaker of salt, but I am genuinely surprised (and disappointed) to not see Ethan Hawke there for First Reformed. Hope he fares better with the Academy.

The movies — with the exceptions of Beale Street and The Favourite — all could easily be described as "crowd pleasers." Nothing particularly interesting or challenging. That isn't inherently bad. Being entertaining is fine. I like BlacKKKlansman. Black Panther is ok. Knowing my tastes, I'll probably dig Vice. It's just not a particularly varied or inspiring bunch. Feels like a safe lot.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Kevin Hart out at the Oscars.

Hollywood continues to be made extremely uncomfortable by non-gay Black men.

Sep 19, 2008
I remember a host that dropped out last second and they just threw Billy Crystal there again :laugh: Maybe he'll do it for like the 10th time

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That's your takeaway here?

Yes. Straight black men still make Hollywood extremely uncomfortable.

Just look at the hatred directed at guys like Kevin Hart, Michael Che or Dave Chappelle. If you aren't writing Moonlight, holllywood doesn't wanna see your black ass.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Yes. Straight black men still make Hollywood extremely uncomfortable.

Just look at the hatred directed at guys like Kevin Hart, Michael Che or Dave Chappelle. If you aren't writing Moonlight, holllywood doesn't wanna see your black ass.

I'm pretty sure they knew he wasn't gay before everyone started talking about the tweets.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I don't know if I agree, at least in the case of Kevin Hart. He's immensely successful, regularly employed by the studios and was picked to host the Oscars in the first place. That doesn't sound like hate.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Its very telling how loud the #RehireJamesGunn topic was among "progressive film Twitter" and how quiet those same voices are this time around.

I wonder what could be the difference between Gunn and Hart......

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Its very telling how loud the #RehireJamesGunn topic was among "progressive film Twitter" and how quiet those same voices are this time around.

I wonder what could be the difference between Gunn and Hart......

Hmmm... Let's see. Gunn made very poor taste jokes at a time he was working for a company known for poor taste jokes, where as Hart made homophopic comments in hsi past. There is a difference and it's got nothing to do with skin color.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Brett Ratner was fired as producer of the Oscar's several years ago for homophobic comments in his past.

I wouldn't deny that there are still race issues in Hollywood but I don't see this one as one.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Hmmm... Let's see. Gunn made very poor taste jokes at a time he was working for a company known for poor taste jokes, where as Hart made homophopic comments in hsi past. There is a difference and it's got nothing to do with skin color.

Just so I have this straight, a white movie director is allowed to have made jokes that were in "very poor taste" but a black comedian is not?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Just so I have this straight, a white movie director is allowed to have made jokes that were in "very poor taste" but a black comedian is not?

James Gunn also has not gotten the job he lost because of those comments back ...

That's actually the same as Hart. In both cases, the men were hired for jobs. Old inappropriate jokes/comments came up. Both men lost the job in question.

James Gunn has gone on to do other work.
I suspect Kevin Hart will do the same and be fine.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
James Gunn also has not gotten the job he lost because of those comments back ...

That's actually the same as Hart. In both cases, the men were hired for jobs. Old inappropriate jokes/comments came up. Both men lost the job in question.

James Gunn has gone on to do other work.
I suspect Kevin Hart will do the same and be fine.

Kevin Hart will obviously be just fine. In fact he will probably get a bump from this because his old audience will love him AND he just made a lot of new fans out of people who are sick of outrage culture. It was really nice to see a man stand up for himself and tell The Academy "thanks, but no thanks".

I saw Michael Che post it earlier and it seems like the right choice, get Hannah Gatsby to host the Oscars. It makes too much sense.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kevin Hart will obviously be just fine. In fact he will probably get a bump from this because his old audience will love him AND he just made a lot of new fans out of people who are sick of outrage culture. It was really nice to see a man stand up for himself and tell The Academy "thanks, but no thanks".

I saw Michael Che post it earlier and it seems like the right choice, get Hannah Gatsby to host the Oscars. It makes too much sense.

That's not what happened. He admitted his past mistakes, owned up to them and din't want it to become a distraction during the Oscars. That's the right thing to do. It had nothing to do with standing up for anything or telling anyone off. You're wrong.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Actors whose performances I have seen so far who deserve consideration (none of whom seem to be getting any):

Ben Foster—Leave No Trace

Thomasin McKenzie--Leave No Trace
These two were exceptional. Hopefully they start to gather some buzz.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think I have now seen all the foreign language submitted films that I am likely to see before the end of the year and I would rate them as follows:

Roma (Mexico)
Shoplifters (Japan)

Burning
(South Korea)
Cold War (Poland)

Donbass (Ukraine)
The Cakemaker (Israel)

Border (Sweden)
The Guilty (Denmark)
The Family (Venezuela)
Maria the Murderess in Four Acts (Indonesia)

The Wild Pear Tree (Turkey)
Dogman (Italy)
Capernaum (Lebanon)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad