Who are the best prospects who weren't drafted

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
My team has Mark Giordano.

Not sure why he wasn't drafted because as a 19 year old defenseman he was on the OHL - First All-Rookie Team and the CHL - All-Rookie Team. i guess lack of junior play:dunno:

In Omaha he had impressive stats 16g - 42a - 58p - 141pm in 69 games. named first team AHL allstar.

Who else is floating around that was undrafted that looks good.

Pure Rock Fury*

Josh Gorges looks like he's going to be a solid defensive defenseman once he bulks up some.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
Christoph Gawlik.

Scored 23 pts in 48 games in the German Elite League as a 18-year-old. Only Marco Sturm, Jochen Hecht and Marcel Goc have put up similar numbers. He slipped through the draft twice already.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Caps have Jamie Hunt and Matt Stefanishion that they signed. Hunt looks to be pretty good, at our prospects camp he was the most fit, despite being a college kid whose season had ended way earlier in the year, like towards the end of the regular season. Stefanishion I know nothing about, apparently he fights, but had a separated shoulder of something that caused him to miss most of the past season.

Details may be a little wrong, I'm going off memory here.

C-Saku Koivu MTL

Aug 26, 2004
Montreal
Yann Danis for us, the Habs. But he is getting up in ages to be consider a prospect. Francis Lemieux also had a very solid first year in Hamilton.

bertld

Jun 16, 2003
Visit site
St. Louis has Dennis Wideman. The Flames had both Wideman, Giordano and Richie Regehr in camp but missed out on signing Wideman. Wideman has already displayed the ability to play in the NHL. I am not a St. Louis fan, I am a Flames fan so I don't know what that teams fans would project for Wideman. He was awesome for the Knights in the OHL.

He looks like he was Danny Syvret before even Danny Syvret was.

Ducks_è_Halos

Feb 8, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
profile.myspace.com
For the Ducks Dustin Penner. He tore it up in the AHL ( GP:57 G:39 A:45 P:84 +41) when he was there and was very good in the playoffs for the Ducks (GP:13 G:3 A:6 P:9 +10). He'll most likely play on one of the Ducks top 2 lines next season.

Also Ryan Shannon had a great year in the AHL (GP:71 G:27 A:59 P:86 +30). He also won the Fastest Skater competition in the AHL All-Star Skills Competition.
I can see him getting call ups to Anaheim next season.

Last edited:

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
St. Louis has Dennis Wideman. The Flames had both Wideman, Giordano and Richie Regehr in camp but missed out on signing Wideman. Wideman has already displayed the ability to play in the NHL. I am not a St. Louis fan, I am a Flames fan so I don't know what that teams fans would project for Wideman. He was awesome for the Knights in the OHL.

He looks like he was Danny Syvret before even Danny Syvret was.

Every time I think of Dennis Wideman, I always think of that attempted penalty shot. That was too funny.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Brian Elloit is as close as you get to undrafted (second to last I believe in a 9 round draft) and he was second in Hobey Baker voting this year I think.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
My team has Mark Giordano.

Not sure why he wasn't drafted because as a 19 year old defenseman he was on the OHL - First All-Rookie Team and the CHL - All-Rookie Team. i guess lack of junior play:dunno:

In Omaha he had impressive stats 16g - 42a - 58p - 141pm in 69 games. named first team AHL allstar.

Who else is floating around that was undrafted that looks good.

I'm hoping Giordano gets some more time on the big squad this year, I loved watching him, he played with so much confidence.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Patrick Thoresen is an intriguing prospect but we won't really know until he plays a few games in the AHL. The Oilers signed him despite not having an AHL club so they likely believe he has a future in the organization.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Alexander Burrows and Jesse Schultz come to mind for Vancouver... guys like Rick Rypien as well.. the Moose sure do a good job finding some of these guys (I know Schultz was a Canuck signing)

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Ville Leino, here's a little info on him: 22 years old (6'1), 56g (12+31=43) and in playoffs 13g (3+9=12) in Finnish SM-Liiga. Plays center.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Every time I think of Dennis Wideman, I always think of that attempted penalty shot. That was too funny.

Every time I think of Wideman, I think of the Sabres (who drafted him) choosing between him and Paetsch at the end of camp a few years ago. They went with Nathan instead.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Christoph Gawlik.

Scored 23 pts in 48 games in the German Elite League as a 18-year-old. Only Marco Sturm, Jochen Hecht and Marcel Goc have put up similar numbers. He slipped through the draft twice already.

Which is surprising since the Sabres now have 2/3rds of the Gawlik-Schutz-Gogulla line from the World's. With the way they scout, I wouldn't be surprised if they pick him late in the next draft, just to round out the trio. :biglaugh:

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Schutz is the best one.

What do you guys know about Andy Greene, with New Jersey? Scouting report please.

Andy Greene - captained the Miami RedHawks to a CCHA regular season title. Won the CCHA's Best Offensive AND Defensive Defenseman of the Year awards. Excellent skater, great with the puck, very smart, tough (and I don't mean in terms of being a fighter here either), equally good both offensively and defensively, although many people talk about him as "just an offensive defenseman" (obviously those same people haven't watched the RedHawks very much). Only knock on Greene is maybe his size. He's small (around 5'11") but he's quite strong physically.

X-SHARKIE

Andy Greene - captained the Miami RedHawks to a CCHA regular season title. Won the CCHA's Best Offensive AND Defensive Defenseman of the Year awards. Excellent skater, great with the puck, very smart, tough (and I don't mean in terms of being a fighter here either), equally good both offensively and defensively, although many people talk about him as "just an offensive defenseman" (obviously those same people haven't watched the RedHawks very much). Only knock on Greene is maybe his size. He's small (around 5'11") but he's quite strong physically.

I picked him up in my keeper league on Waivers. Any chance he makes the Devils this season?

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I picked him up in my keeper league on Waivers. Any chance he makes the Devils this season?
It depends how we are set for the cap at the beginning of the season. The biggest obstacle to him making the team this year is his 850K salary (you have to pay to get undrafted talent). Salary aside I'm sure NJ would like to keep him as a 7th defenseman. If we trade Matvichuk or Lukowich his chances improve. He'll definitely make the team in 07-08 though.

Edit: If he impresses in camp, I'm sure Lou will find a way to move the couple hundred thousand to get him on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad