Who are the best nomads of all time?

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I looked that up for you...

It appears he was a 1st team All Star twice in Toronto and once in Montreal, but never with Detroit. With Detroit, however, he was a 2nd-team All Star twice.

So, still only Coffey and Chelios for three-team 1st-team All Stars...

Wayne Gretzky was top-3 in scoring for three different teams. Has anyone else done that? I thought maybe Oates had come close, but not so...
i was thinking Gretzky but was planning on leaving it for you!

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Alex Kovalev was a big piece of the Rangers the year they won the Cup, he was then elite with Pittsburgh and Montréal best player for at least 2 seasons

Alex Radulov might fit the bill depending on how you look back his years with Nashville

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Wayne Gretzky ;-)

Zigmund Palffy (Isles, Kings, Pens)

Bernie Nicholls (Kings, Rangers, Oilers, Hawks)

Marian Gaborik (Wild, Rangers, Kings)

Paul Coffey (Oilers, Pens, Kings, Wings)

Jaromir Jagr (Pens, Caps, Rangers)

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Btw, weak criteria. Needs to be 4 teams minimal. I'm leaning towards five as I associate the likes of Dave McIlwain and Mike Sillinger with the term "nomads."

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
if a guy moved around a lot in the garbage time i don’t count that. if he played 6+ years of his prime with a team and won multiple cups and a fistful of awards (coffey, jagr) that seems outside what this is about.

best nomad? mark recchi moved around a lot, adam oates is another.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Claude Lemieux

He was an important part of a Stanley Cup winning team three times, Habs 86, Devils 95 (Conn Smythe winner) and Avalanche 96. In 2000, he was not a as big factor as he was for his three previous Cups but still a member of a Stanley Cup winning team once again. He really was the perfect playoff warrior that every team wanted on their team to make a run for the Cup. :stanley:

Last edited:

CMitchelli

Dec 17, 2017
Ken Linseman if #6 in points on the 82-83 and 83-84 Oilers qualifies as elite (regular season and playoffs both years.)

Before that, Linseman led the Flyers 4X (points scored regular season and/or playoffs).

After the Oilers Linseman was 4X #1 and/or #2 for the Bruins (points regular season and/or playoffs.)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I only just scanned through the thread, but has Paul Coffey not been mentioned yet?

He was the first name that came to mind

Reactions: Killion

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I'm giving Larry Murphy a 2nd vote. Started in L.A., played for WSH, MIN, PIT, TOR, DET over 21 seasons and did well wherever he went which were always good teams. Every team Murphy was traded to were playoff teams, and of his 21 seasons, the only playoffs he didn't play in were with the Kings in '82-83. 18 consecutive playoff seasons, 20 of 21. (I found that pretty cool).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm giving Larry Murphy a 2nd vote. Started in L.A., played for WSH, MIN, PIT, TOR, DET over 21 seasons and did well wherever he went which were always good teams. Every team Murphy was traded to were playoff teams, and of his 21 seasons, the only playoffs he didn't play in were with the Kings in '82-83. 18 consecutive playoff seasons, 20 of 21. (I found that pretty cool).
The guy doesn't get enough respect. What an awesome player.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Harry Lumley, Gary Simmons, Johnny Bower, Les Binkley, Ed Chadwick, Gilles Boisvert, Gary Suitcase Smith, Cesare Maniago, Marv Edwards, Bruce Gamble.... quite an endless list of Goalies...

Gypsy Joe Hardy. (aka Jocelyn Hardy) NHL, WHA, every imaginable minor league..

First pro to score 200 pts in a season, when he had 208 with the Beauce Jaros of the NAHL 1975-76.

Also on that Jaros team was former Buffalo Bison Alain Boom boom" Caron.

Does he fit OP's criteria? Maybe not. But, three of my favorite hockey names; Gypsy Joe, Boom - Boom, and the Beauce Jaros.

Former Jaro Gilles Bilodeau still gives me nightmares... They attacked Buffalo Norseman players during pre - game skate - which was the inspiration for the pregame melee scene in the movie Slapshot..

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Gypsy Joe Hardy. (aka Jocelyn Hardy) NHL, WHA, every imaginable minor league..

First pro to score 200 pts in a season, when he had 208 with the Beauce Jaros of the NAHL 1975-76.

Also on that Jaros team was former Buffalo Bison Alain Boom boom" Caron.

Does he fit OP's criteria? Maybe not. But, three of my favorite hockey names; Gypsy Joe, Boom - Boom, and the Beauce Jaros.

Former Jaro Gilles Bilodeau still gives me nightmares... They attacked Buffalo Norseman players during pre - game skate - which was the inspiration for the pregame melee scene in the movie Slapshot..

.... I see you Howie.... importing subject matter, convo's from elsewhere on the interwebs are we? :naughty:

Lets not forget Richard Grenier. "Very unique & outstanding skating style". Nomad/Merc Big Time. :laugh:

... 77 Goals & 83 Assists with Beauce in 76/77.... uh?... @Canadiens1958 prolly remembers this guy. Played for Rosemont, Verdun & the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL late 60's early 70's... Lengthy career in Europe through the 80's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howie Hodge

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
.... I see you Howie.... importing subject matter, convo's from elsewhere on the interwebs are we? :naughty:

Lets not forget Richard Grenier. "Very unique & outstanding skating style". Nomad/Merc Big Time. :laugh:

... 77 Goals & 83 Assists with Beauce in 76/77.... uh?... @Canadiens1958 prolly remembers this guy. Played for Rosemont, Verdun & the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL late 60's early 70's... Lengthy career in Europe through the 80's.

Import Master Killion? From other conversations? Sans the exact year of the 208 points, it's imported from my little memory. You see Sir, I was around, and at a couple Norsemen games. Minor league legend Willie Marshall was the Norseman GM, and even had to dress a couple games when we ran short of players. They played at The Tonawanda Twin Rinks (later Tonawanda Ice Time) in good old North Tonawanda. Supported a travel team called The Tonawanda Tondas. Next to the rinks was a tennis center called Tennis Unlimited, which later became an indoor soccer complex called Soccer World - which I managed for several years. Address of 90 Ridge Road, which is off of Payne Avenue. Lived it brother!

Boom Boom had years earlier signed my friend's Buffalo Bisons program after a game at The Aud. "Good luck Paul, and do well in school, best wishes - Boom - Boom Caron."

The player the Jaros went after was defenseman Greg Need, once an NHL prospect who had lost an eye in Junior, and who Punch Imlach took a gamble on drafting. He wore a full mask, and the Jaros knew it would be hard to get him in the game because of this, and went after him prior to the officials being on the ice.

I'm certain Canadians1958, you and I, could converse about these matters without needing social media to form our opinions and facts off of. No doubt about it...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Import Master Killion? From other conversations? Sans the exact year of the 208 points, it's imported from my little memory. You see Sir, I was around, and at a couple Norsemen games. Minor league legend Willie Marshall was the Norseman GM, and even had to dress a couple games when we ran short of players. They played at The Tonawanda Twin Rinks (later Tonawanda Ice Time) in good old North Tonawanda. Supported a travel team called The Tonawanda Tondas. Next to the rinks was a tennis center called Tennis Unlimited, which later became an indoor soccer complex called Soccer World - which I managed for several years. Address of 90 Ridge Road, which is off of Payne Avenue. Lived it brother!

Boom Boom had years earlier signed my friend's Buffalo Bisons program after a game at The Aud. "Good luck Paul, and do well in school, best wishes - Boom - Boom Caron."

The player the Jaros went after was defenseman Greg Need, once an NHL prospect who had lost an eye in Junior, and who Punch Imlach took a gamble on drafting. He wore a full mask, and the Jaros knew it would be hard to get him in the game because of this, and went after him prior to the officials being on the ice.

I'm certain Canadians1958, you and I, could converse about these matters without needing social media to form our opinions and facts off of. No doubt about it...

Richard.... Grenier..... Beauce... Jaros..... Tonawanda..... Joe..... Crozier.... Leafs.... Imlach.... Bisons.... Boom Boom.... Greg Neeld.... Toronto Marlies..... Facemasks, shields.... dots all connect Howie.... So ya, I see you. Call. Raise. :skeptic:

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Richard.... Grenier..... Beauce... Jaros..... Tonawanda..... Joe..... Crozier.... Leafs.... Imlach.... Bisons.... Boom Boom.... Greg Neeld.... Toronto Marlies..... Facemasks, shields.... dots all connect Howie.... So ya, I see you. Call. Raise. :skeptic:

Right back attcha bro.....:thumbu:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Grenier.... Very unique skating style way... waaaaaay ahead of his time. Like Jean Beliveau meets Vladimir Kharlamov meets Pavel Bure'. Boy could SKATE. Thing of wonder by all accounts hence the invite to?..... @Canadiens1958 .... :)

With The Norsemen, we were treated to former NHL players like Steve Atkinson, Guy Trottier, and Les Binkley, by then Toronto Toro players I believe. My favorite player was "Little Lou" Nistico, a feisty little player who took no nonsense. I remember him with theToronto Toros, and always thought he's make it one day. Had a cup of tea with The Colorado Rockies.

To "stay on topic" Norsemen GM Willie Marshall was a bit of a Gypsy also, and besides a few games with The Leafs, he played for several AHL teams, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Providence, Hershey, Rochester....

Keke Mortson was another ageless, crazy man, and he was a Gypsy who played briefly here as well. Known to holler like Tarzan....

Marshall and Mortson were both in their forties by this point..

But hey, this "Hockey History Thread" so I guess we're good. Well except for Canadians1958 not arriving yet! lol

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I don't consider 3 teams a nomad.

That being said for the op,the only real answer is Gretzky considering even old and sort of washed up(by his standards) he was still tied for 3rd then tied for 4th in scoring on crap NYR teams.
Wgretz_edit2.jpg

The 2nd best would be Jagr

cut.jpg

On D following the 3 team criteria Pronger and Stevens would also qualify IMO.
stevens-blues.jpg

a6c4b7225d9a95ceeb57d1134f5e8471.jpg

An actual nomad should be someone who played for like 6 or more teams but was still an elite player. Will post pics of a few who quality IMO

Paul-Coffey-Whalers-Portrait-384x480.jpg
(EDM,DET,PIT,LA)
douggilmour_2018-10-27.jpg
(STL,TOR,CAL)

These are just a few names off the top of my head, I guess it depends on how you define 'elite' but I don't think 3 teams makes you a nomad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->