Who are the best nomads of all time?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Harvey played in All-Star game while with the St.Louis Blues but he was neither 1st or 2nd team All-Star that season.

I just checked all All-Star team selections from Hockey-refence and here's the list of players that have been either 1st or 2nd team All-Stars while playing for atleast three different organisations:

Glenn Hall (1x1st and 1x2nd All-Star for Red Wings; 5x1st and 3x2nd All-Star for Black Hawks; 1x1st All-Star for Blues)
Paul Coffey (2x1st and 3x2nd All-Star for Oilers; 1x1st and 1x2nd All-Star for Penguins; 1x1st All-Star for Red Wings)
Chris Chelios (1x1st All-Star for Canadiens; 3x1st and 2x2nd All-Star for Blackhawks; 1x1st All-Star for Red Wings)

Bill Gadsby (2x2nd All-Star for Black Hawks; 3x1st and 1x2nd All-Star for Rangers; 1x2nd All-Star for Red Wings)
Frank Mahovlich (2x1st and 4x2nd All-Star for Maple Leafs; 2x2nd All-Star for Red Wings; 1x1st All-Star for Canadiens)
Wayne Gretzky (7x1st and 2x2nd All-Star for Oilers; 1x1st and 3x2nd All-Star for Kings; 2x2nd All-Star for Rangers)

Six players in total and only the first three were 1st All-Star team selections while with three different organisations.
Okay, thanks for settling it!

Glenn Hall... never thought of it! Gadsby I know next-to-nothing about, though I should have thought of Mahovlich.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Indeed.

He'd be a playoff nomad all star.

In pre-NHL lingo: a ringer.

(eg., HHOFer Art Ross was a Stanley Cup challenge ringer for Montreal, Kenora and Ottawa. There were a few others.)

Good call on Art Ross. Definitely a nomad before he settled down as coach and GM of the Bruins. You really fired up the wayback machine on that one.

Reactions: Tarantula

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Okay, thanks for settling it!

Glenn Hall... never thought of it! Gadsby I know next-to-nothing about, though I should have thought of Mahovlich.

Panther? You owe it to yourself to check out Bill Gadsby. Arguably the Greatest Checker All Time in terms of just sheer impact, tough as nails, heavy hitter & totally clean.... not to mention quite the character.... and one lucky to have even survived childhood as in 1939 while accompanying his Mother on a trip to the UK, return voyage aboard the Athenia & just hours after Germany invaded Poland with England declaring War.... U-Boat torpedoed the Athenia killing 112 passengers & crew, Bill & his Mom left bobbing around out in the frigid North Atlantic in a lifeboat for something like 5hrs before rescue finally arrived..... then as an adult, player, contracted Polio which very nearly completely derailed his career as Im sure you can imagine. One of my all time favorite players. Scrappy. Gritty as Hell. Knew his angles, fearless shot blocker. Big Cauliflower ears on the guy. Colorful language of course & took zero **** from anyone.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Damphousse was the first name to come to mind, particularly because he had high-quality seasons for three teams in back-to-back-to-back years (TOR in 90-91, EDM in 91-92, MTL in 92-93). Then throw in SJ. Turgeon is another (BUF, NYI, MTL, STL).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Damphousse was the first name to come to mind, particularly because he had high-quality seasons for three teams in back-to-back-to-back years (TOR in 90-91, EDM in 91-92, MTL in 92-93). Then throw in SJ. Turgeon is another (BUF, NYI, MTL, STL).
Yeah, Damphousse is a weird one. (But he had only one season in Edmonton, so I'm not sure he fits the general criteria.) Damphousse led three different Canadian franchises in scoring over three seasons. That's strange.

Was Turgeon really great with Montreal?

Reactions: mrhockey193195

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

I guess it depends on your definition of "great". In 95-96, he scored 96 points and led the Canadiens in scoring (albeit only two points ahead of Damphousse). That year he was 17th in the league in points. To me, that counts as a "great" season.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Ron Francis? High level player in Hartford, hitting his peak/prime in Pittsburgh, and then consistently remind a top playmaker with a top 10 finish in Carolina.

Recchi? He’s like the ultimate Nomad. 3 stanley cups with three different teams. Had a great season in Pitt, followed it up with some 100 point seasons in Philly, his second stint in Philly was still impressive, while his stint in Montreal was short, he was still a very productive player. Don’t know about “elite”, but still very good.

Does Pronger count? He was a top defenseman in St. Louis and Anaheim, but I feel he was still elite in Edmonton and Philly, just not at the same level. He did have 3 stanley cup appearances with 3 different teams, being a vital part all 3, with being the best player and possible Smythe favorite(if they won) in ‘06 with the Oilers.

Reactions: shills

Murky

Jan 28, 2006

He was all right but Damphousse was the man and everyone was waiting for Koivu to arrive. It is all subjective, and depending on definitions - I think he was a good 1C but not really great. Turgeon was a good nomad but out of all the Habs roughly during those times Recchi would be a far better choice, in my opinion.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Bure was injured for most of his stay in NY. When he did play, Bure was a shell of his former self.
When he did play, he still scored a shit ton of goals.
When he played, he played at more of an elite level than any other pro om the team of milluonaires at the time.

Anyway, I'm throwing both Kovy & Straka in the ring. Tho Marty didnt light it up for FLA he played them thru the playoffs and earned his spot to the SCF anyway.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Ray Whitney was elite for Panthers (71 points), Blue Jackets (76 points, wore "C") and Hurricanes (83 points, wore "A"). He also wore "A" with Dallas Stars during his last active seasons.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Pat Lafontaine... another one of those guys whom it's easy to forget spent the last year(s) of his career on the Rangers. Went 23+39 in 67 games, second on the team behind Gretzky in 1997-98, a lousy year for the Blueshirts.

Wow, that roster is just chock full of over-30's whom I've forgotten spent time with the Rangers -- Bruce Driver, Tim Sweeney, Kevin Stevens, Mike Keane, Brian Skrudland, Jeff Finley, Ulf Samuelsson....

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Is 3 teams really all that much in the modern era or in a 15+ year career for that matter? The salary cap seems to have somehow reduced this a bit (less room for contenders to stockpile stars), but in the 80s through 90s there was a lot of big name trading going on. It seems like almost every star of that time played on 3 teams at least in their career.

I wouldn't think of Chelios as a nomad for example. Chelios spent 7 years on the Habs, 9 years in Chicago and 10 years in Detroit. He became part of the 'inventory' at all of those stops.

Mark Recchi would be the first one to come to my mind as an actual nomad, simply because he was one of those guys who was an All-Star level scorer but no-one ever seemed to view him as a franchise player. Dude played on 7 teams, including two stints each with Philly and Pittsburgh, and managed to put on two different uniforms in the same season on six separate occasions. His longest stint was 5 years and some change with Philly.

Ray Whitney wasn't as good as some of the others mentioned here, but I also remember him as a solid scoring journeyman who'd stay a couple years and then go to another team. I mean heck he scored 10+ goals with San Jose, Florida, Columbus, Detroit, Carolina, Phoenix and Dallas. Definitely a guy who would have been well advised to rent, not buy, in the cities he played in..though I guess depending on the real estate climate you may make some money buying and selling every 2-3 years.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, Damphousse is a weird one. (But he had only one season in Edmonton, so I'm not sure he fits the general criteria.) Damphousse led three different Canadian franchises in scoring over three seasons. That's strange.

He had a 96-point season his only full year in Montreal, no player has scored more than that since and the list of Canadiens who have scored more in a single season is a short one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad