Who are the best nomads of all time?

delled

Oct 3, 2009
my nomad definition: a player who has been on at least 3 different teams and played at an elite level for at least 3 different teams. ( Eliminating players who wer good but washed up on other teams)

Ie) Iggy wouldn’t make this list but Hossa would. Lindros wouldn’t but & Forsberg might.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Jagr did play at a very high level with the pens, washington (was still top 3 in the league in ppg first season with them) and the Rangers.

Not for a long time, but Pronger achieved to do it in only 3 season, he was elite with St-Louis, Edmonton, Anaheim and the Flyers.

Coffey was elite with 4 team if we count is short Kings passage.

Reactions: Sentinel

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
The best player to be elite for a significant time for three different teams is probably Chelios. He was 1st all-star on both Montreal, Chicago and Detroit.

Jagr and Gretzky are other good choices, but they weren't nearly as good with their 2nd and 3rd teams as with their 1st.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Brendan Shanahan in St.Louis, one season in Hartford and then Detroit.

Scott Stevens with Washington, St.Louis and NJ. He was awarded to NJ as compensation for the Blues signing of Shanahan as a RFA in 1991.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Oates was elite for St Louis, Boston and Washington.
Indeed. He was 1st in NHL assists in Boston and 1st in NHL assists in Washington and his 90 assists in St. Louis were 15 more than anyone except the guy he was behind, Gretz.

Last edited:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I'll give him credit here, since I agonized over leaving him off of my 'top-120' list elsewhere in this sub-forum:

Lionel Conacher [a.k.a.: The Travelling Netminder]

Broke in with the Pittsburgh Pirates. His stat-line as a 24 year old rookie doesn't look like much... but 9th in the Hart voting in that era might have been enough to get a First-Team All-Star nod on defense, if such plaudits were awarded in that era.

Less than two years later, over to the Amerks [New York Americans], where he was arguably the best player on a team that was almost always in the 2nd division... a few times an outright doormat.

Later, over to the Montreal Maroons, where he leaked onto 2nd all-star team status in his final year.

Then, over to the Chicago Black Hawks, where he had more to do with their Stanley Cup triumph than anyone other than the great Charlie Gardiner [G].

Then, back over to the Maroons- and another hoisting of the Stanley Cup. (Though in honesty, it doesn't look like he was a big difference-maker during that season.) Final year in the league shows a curious 2nd team all-star/2nd overall Hart voting in his farewell campaign. [Suspect that there may have been some "laureate/emeritus" sentiment behind that MVP voting- but not a bad curtain-call... not at all.]

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Pete turgeon on was a 100-point scorsc as a Buffalo Sabre, a top 10 scorer once we a New York Islander and on Pace to do so another time, scored 96 points finishing out of the top 10 in scoring in a very competitive 1995-96 season for Montreal, and then put up four excellent seasons with the st. Louis Blues, including two where he was on pace to be top 10 in scoring and one where he was on Pace to lead the league

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
HHOFer Babe Siebert was top 10 in goals twice as a Maroon winger, second in team scoring to linemate Nels Stewart, Babe scoring in their Stanley Cup championship.

Babe then went to New York where he scored in the playoffs for the Rangers' Stanley Cup.

Then he went to Boston and became a 1st team all star defenseman.

Then he went to the Canadiens where he won the Hart.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Sprague Cleghorn!

The NHA star Montreal Wanderer went to Ottawa and was 4th in NHL assists, winning the Stanley Cup there. Then he went to the Canadiens and Bruins and was the Hart trophy runner-up in both cities.

That's FOUR all-time great seasons for four different franchises for one of the greatest defensemen ever.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Dominik Hasek.

Obviously his greatest individual accomplishments were achieved in Buffalo, and his cups were with Detroit. But he played at a tremendously high level for Ottawa and Chicago as well.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
without looking it up first, frank mahovlich?
I looked that up for you...

It appears he was a 1st team All Star twice in Toronto and once in Montreal, but never with Detroit. With Detroit, however, he was a 2nd-team All Star twice.

So, still only Coffey and Chelios for three-team 1st-team All Stars...

Wayne Gretzky was top-3 in scoring for three different teams. Has anyone else done that? I thought maybe Oates had come close, but not so...

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Theo Fleury had a nice career with the Flames, then he was an over ppg rental with the Avs (+playoffs) and was one of the best players of the league on his second season with the Rangers before going to the substance abuse program.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->