Who are the 8 Western Conference playoff teams? 2019-2020

Pick 8 playoff teams

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Looks like we're only forecasting one possible playoff change in Win/Chi. I'll leave it open until next Wednesday but I have a feeling this one is locked in otherwise.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Can someone explain why everyone thinks Colorado is a lock to make the playoffs? Genuinely curious.

Their top line is amazing - no doubt. And they've attempted to address their forward depth with Kadri and I'm a huge Kadri fan so I think he will help. But even with him, I wouldn't say that they have a playoff calibre forward group outside of their top line. Its not good at all really, especially since they lost Kerfoot as well.

Their defense got worse with the loss of Barrie, and it already wasn't anything special. Barrie was a stud offensively and I think that will really hurt the team. Obviously Makar will fix that in the future, but he'll still be a rookie next year and I don't know how much to expect from him. Same goes for Byram if he makes the team.

As for goaltending, more of the same. Grubauer hopefully should be better for them, but he's never played a full season in his career. Hasn't even played half a season.

Little offensive depth, young defence, and questions in net doesn't scream playoff lock. Sure they can make it definitely, but getting they're tied for the most votes here. Just curious why everyone is so high on them.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Think people are sleeping in Winnipeg. Yes their defence took a hit but they still have 2 number 1 dmen, an above average goalie and a top 5 forward group in the league

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
People are too low on Anaheim.

Don't agree. Gibson could stand on his head all year, and force them in. I will admit that.

Otherwise though? They have amassed quite a few good young players but done very little to replace their aging vets.

The only non-playoff team I could see turning it around this year in the West is Vancouver.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
It's insane that there are 7 locks above 90% right now. Hopefully in real life there is more movement.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Can someone explain why everyone thinks Colorado is a lock to make the playoffs? Genuinely curious.

Their top line is amazing - no doubt. And they've attempted to address their forward depth with Kadri and I'm a huge Kadri fan so I think he will help. But even with him, I wouldn't say that they have a playoff calibre forward group outside of their top line. Its not good at all really, especially since they lost Kerfoot as well.

Their defense got worse with the loss of Barrie, and it already wasn't anything special. Barrie was a stud offensively and I think that will really hurt the team. Obviously Makar will fix that in the future, but he'll still be a rookie next year and I don't know how much to expect from him. Same goes for Byram if he makes the team.

As for goaltending, more of the same. Grubauer hopefully should be better for them, but he's never played a full season in his career. Hasn't even played half a season.

Little offensive depth, young defence, and questions in net doesn't scream playoff lock. Sure they can make it definitely, but getting they're tied for the most votes here. Just curious why everyone is so high on them.
1. How many times have we heard as Avs fans that our team were just a one line team and we won't make the playoffs because our team was lacking several depth heard the same thing against the Flames in the 1st round. Now that the Avs adressed their 2nd line issue they can manage to split their top line to make two good lines if they need to. The lost of Kerfoot isn't a big deal go to the Avs board and see how happy Avs fans are that Kerfoot is gone. Yes he was producing but boy that kid had some shade of Alex Tanguay (in a bad way) where he doesn't want to shoot the puck or when he does it that's a bullseye on the chest. Sadly the team wasn't deep enough to have more option as a #2C so Kerfoot was the best choice available since Compher was more used as a defensive forward who can PK. Jost well he didn't impress and clearly stagnated during the season but was a totally different player come the playoffs (There is hope I guess).

2. I don't think our defense is worse but production will probably take a dip without Barrie but I do believe that Makar will be better defensively as the season goes on. Yes that's alot of stock to put on a young kid who has yet to play a regular season game but after what we saw in the playoffs I'm not worried about that. Barrie was very very inconsistent during the season one night it was : Barrie is so freaking good sign that guy for X money the night after it was : Trade Barrie that guy can't freaking play defense. He came clutch down the stretch and was a good reason why the Avs made the playoffs. He was also very good in the playoffs not super outstanding but surprisingly good IMO.

3. Goaltending is probably the biggest question mark for me. Can Grubs keep playing the way he was in the playoffs. Which Grubauer are we going to see in the regular season ? Early season Grubs where he wasn't that good or down the stretch and playoffs Grubs. That's where I have no clue what we're getting

I did my best explaination I could with maybe some little bias (who isn't biased around here right?) that's why I think the Avs will make the playoffs, they basically adressed every need they had to in the offseason which was depth and a 2nd line. The goaltending situation is tricky where we don't know which Grubauer we're going to see and if Francouz is ready as a backup goalie. Offensively the team should be much better with the acquisitions as for the defense, as I said the production will take a dip but I'm full confident that Makar is ready to take the next step. Let's hope I'm not wrong about this

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I picked the same 8 again.

I know it’ll be wrong because there’s usually at least one new team right?

But on paper those are still clearly the 8 best.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
1. How many times have we heard as Avs fans that our team were just a one line team and we won't make the playoffs because our team was lacking several depth heard the same thing against the Flames in the 1st round. Now that the Avs adressed their 2nd line issue they can manage to split their top line to make two good lines if they need to. The lost of Kerfoot isn't a big deal go to the Avs board and see how happy Avs fans are that Kerfoot is gone. Yes he was producing but boy that kid had some shade of Alex Tanguay (in a bad way) where he doesn't want to shoot the puck or when he does it that's a bullseye on the chest. Sadly the team wasn't deep enough to have more option as a #2C so Kerfoot was the best choice available since Compher was more used as a defensive forward who can PK. Jost well he didn't impress and clearly stagnated during the season but was a totally different player come the playoffs (There is hope I guess).

2. I don't think our defense is worse but production will probably take a dip without Barrie but I do believe that Makar will be better defensively as the season goes on. Yes that's alot of stock to put on a young kid who has yet to play a regular season game but after what we saw in the playoffs I'm not worried about that. Barrie was very very inconsistent during the season one night it was : Barrie is so freaking good sign that guy for X money the night after it was : Trade Barrie that guy can't freaking play defense. He came clutch down the stretch and was a good reason why the Avs made the playoffs. He was also very good in the playoffs not super outstanding but surprisingly good IMO.

3. Goaltending is probably the biggest question mark for me. Can Grubs keep playing the way he was in the playoffs. Which Grubauer are we going to see in the regular season ? Early season Grubs where he wasn't that good or down the stretch and playoffs Grubs. That's where I have no clue what we're getting

I did my best explaination I could with maybe some little bias (who isn't biased around here right?) that's why I think the Avs will make the playoffs, they basically adressed every need they had to in the offseason which was depth and a 2nd line. The goaltending situation is tricky where we don't know which Grubauer we're going to see and if Francouz is ready as a backup goalie. Offensively the team should be much better with the acquisitions as for the defense, as I said the production will take a dip but I'm full confident that Makar is ready to take the next step. Let's hope I'm not wrong about this
Yeah, thanks for answering those. Good points. Ya I never actually mentioned Jost but he's one guy that could breakout if he plays on Kadri's wing, or even top line if they decide to split them up. Makar is the x-factor though. I know Barrie isn't some stud defensively, but I doubt Makar be as good as him defensively this year. Its a tough league. I'll happily eat my words if I'm wrong about that though.

Overall I just think that Colorado is young and has some question marks, so who knows if they'll do better this year, whereas the two teams behind them, Arizona and Chicago, have definitely got better in my opinion. Arizona added Kessel and hopefully won't have as many injuries, and Chicago improved their defense and goaltending. I think those 3 teams will be battling for a wildcard spot and are all equally likely to make it.

Reactions: Spilot23

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd say there are 7 locks. all the playoff teams of last year minus winnipeg. I think they take a huge step back (lost trouba,myers,hayes, tanev replaced with pionk and bourque) and chicago edges them out. Hawks will have better tending with Lehner/Crawford instead of Crawford/a past his prime Cam Ward. Also they added a lot of solid depth pieces (Smith,Shaw,De Haan, Maata etc)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Avs will make it because that 1st line is so good it would take a Mackinnon injury for them to miss

Reactions: Spilot23

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Only real surprise is Winnipeg not being higher. I know they have had some struggles and have to resign some RFA's but I don't see them dropping that badly.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Since realignment, there's an average of 3 teams, per conference, that miss the playoffs in the following season. For a variety of reasons, most of them being injuries. Also career years, down years, etc.

Vancouver wins the Pacific. SJ in 2nd, Vegas 3rd, Calgary 4th, Edmonton 5th, and in a playoff spot. The Central sends Nashville, St.Louis, and Chicago. It's going to be a weird year.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Top 8 in the poll right now are literally the 8 teams from last year, I'd think 1 0r 2 will swap places. I'm gonna say Chicago over Winnipeg.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
this might be unpopular, but i don't think blues will make it. they were last place around new year and ran from there with hot goalie. i don't think they should have made the playoffs last year and they didn't really improve during the summer

Reactions: Mobiandi

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
this might be unpopular, but i don't think blues will make it. they were last place around new year and ran from there with hot goalie. i don't think they should have made the playoffs last year and they didn't really improve during the summer

yeah that's baffling, what could have prompted that inaction

Reactions: rumrokh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad