Who are some of your least favourite players for the 2024 NHL Draft?

Kevzzz

Nov 21, 2023
I still have a few interrogation about Parekh. Definitely a Bust or boom type of players.

Also I think that Eiserman is too high on a few list. Top 10 maybe but I would not draft him in the top 5.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The fact that people still think this, or the fact that people think these shouldn't be looked at as case by case situations, is wild to me.
Okay, so give me the players who are Russian that are top 6 forwards and did basically all their junior and professional development in NA?

It's 2 current players of about 15. One is Svechnikov, and Svechnikov might've been too good to be screwed up. The second is probably Barbashev, who is only like an okay second liner at the peak of his career. For most of his career he was not top 6. The few best seasons he is, and otherwise he's a third or fourth liner.

The others fail disproportionately. Not remotely an impressive list, and it's pretty illuminating the rate of those developed in NA compared to at home.

It is also important to note how this differs compared to defensemen. It's not a blanket statement that Russian players will bust if developed in NA. It's backed by the data that it almost never works for Russian forwards. This random second or third rounder is probably not the guy to bet your house on being an exception.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Okay, so give me the players who are Russian that are top 6 forwards and did basically all their junior and professional development in NA?

It's 2 current players of about 15. One is Svechnikov, and Svechnikov might've been too good to be screwed up. The second is probably Barbashev, who is only like an okay second liner at the peak of his career. For most of his career he was not top 6. The few best seasons he is, and otherwise he's a third or fourth liner.

The others fail disproportionately. Not remotely an impressive list, and it's pretty illuminating the rate of those developed in NA compared to at home.

It is also important to note how this differs compared to defensemen. It's not a blanket statement that Russian players will bust if developed in NA. It's backed by the data that it almost never works for Russian forwards. This random second or third rounder is probably not the guy to bet your house on being an exception.
Prior to maybe 10 years ago you never saw any of the real talented guys come over from Russia to develop in NA. They all stayed in Russia to develop. So that already heavily skews the numbers.

And then like I said, you have to look at each player and case individually. To say Gridin is going to fail because he is a Russian playing in NA (which is what you said and 100% a blanket statement) and not he is going to fail because of flaw A, B, and C in his game is incredibly stupid to say here IMO, sorry for the bluntness.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think you can learn to play defense but I think Parekhs softness and lack of interest in playing defense is more concerning to me than his actual defense. If he was trying hard and just making poor reads or bad decisions I would be more accepting. Instead he cowards in the corners, doesn’t battle hard in front of the net and looks to blow the zone like a winger.

Blues16W

Jun 18, 2023
How many do you need?

Americans:

Eiserman-Great goal scoring. Rest of his game is concerning.

Connelly-Great skating and puck handling. Hockey sense and true shooting/passing I have my questions.

Hutson-He's not Lane. People want him to be, and at one point I thought he could be, but he's not going to be.

Humphreys-Complete passenger with okay scoring skills. His point totals are deceiving.

Emery-People want to make him into this athletic monster. He's not. He's 6'3 and a good skater. Not 6'6 and a great skater (Simashev). He's an above-average athlete with a mediocre puck game and defensive reads.

Felicio-Small, can't skate, or play defense.

Whipple-I don't get his reputation. It must've been from like two or three years ago when no one knew about these players prior to junior. Total meh defensive defenseman. Might have a chance to be a 6 or 7 in the NHL. Nothing more.

Non-Americans:

Celebrini-Don't doubt he's going to be very good and already is. But he's not exciting. He'll be a 15-20 1C in the NHL. Don't expect a superstar. You aren't getting that. Doesn't have the true puck game for it.

Lindstrom- He's a product of the team he plays for. He'll be a second or third line complimentary NHL winger, and some sucker team will pick this guy second or third.

Helenius-5'10-5'11 center with average skating and offense skills. Yeah, hockey sense is great, but a sub 6'0 top 10 pick who lacks above-average scoring and skating sounds like a bad idea.

Parekh-He's going to get way over-drafted. He should be picked around 20. He's boom-bust. May not have the defense to make the NHL, and his scoring isn't like generational or anything crazy. There's an OFD like this in every draft. Nothing special.

Brandsegg Nygard-Low upside. People like the Norway story. Sorry, he might be a third liner.

Iginla-He's good, but I feel too many put him 5 spots higher than he should be because of his father's career.

Sennecke-Total meh player. Doesn't skate well. Average scoring when it's supposed to be his speciality. Yeah, he's grown a little taller. Shouldn't shoot him up the rankings in the face of the rest not being that good.

Pettersson-Has never impressed me when I've watched him play, and I've tried to understand what others like about him.

Gridin-Russian forward who goes the NA route. We all know how this ends. 99% chance he'll end up a bust or a bottom six forward. Won't even make my list.

Galvas-I don't mind him, but some of the Czech fans are way too high on him probably because Czechia doesn't produce a lot of amazing prospects (sorry, it's true). He's a dime-a-dozen 5'11 defenseman who skates well and has okay puck moving and not terrible defense. He'll be drafted 2nd-4th round and might have a small chance to make the NHL.
Not saying you're full of sh**, but would love to hear your thoughts on prospects couple of years ago since you just shi* on like 10 guys in top 15-20 of this draft. Is there a single player you like this year lmao?? Bc you don't even like Celebrini......

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not saying you're full of sh**, but would love to hear your thoughts on prospects couple of years ago since you just shi* on like 10 guys in top 15-20 of this draft. Is there a single player you like this year lmao?? Bc you don't even like Celebrini......
I was joking. I don’t hate any of those guys, but they aren’t my favorites. I made a whole post of my favorites in that thread.

Reactions: Blues16W

Blues16W

Jun 18, 2023
I was joking. I don’t hate any of those guys, but they aren’t my favorites. I made a whole post of my favorites in that thread.
Ah ok was halfway joking, but was wondering if you liked Basha? From what I've seen I like him a lot, haven't seen too many outlets speak too highly of him though. Kind of reminds me of Robert Thomas a little honestly.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ah ok was halfway joking, but was wondering if you liked Basha? From what I've seen I like him a lot, haven't seen too many outlets speak too highly of him though. Kind of reminds me of Robert Thomas a little honestly.
I have no strong opinion on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad