Who are 2004's sleepers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Johannes Salomonsson may drop a whole lot because of an injury... he's out 4 months and was expected to be the first Swedish player selected in the 2004 draft.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull out of the draft like Johan Fransson did last year, but if he drops past the first round, that would be an absolute steal.

I've seen him play only once (against the Maple Leafs) and he looks like a great player.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Kevin Mailhot

he just lost his skill : Since his freak injury at the canada game he has not been the same players

Before this year, a lot scout talked he was Top20 potentiel in the 2004 draft

Look out for Michal Sersen Defensemen 6-2 190lbs

Solid two-way D for Rimouski(Lhjmq) and he can really hit, look like former Rimouski oceanic Defensemen Tomas Malec

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The first Redline Report article from USA Today is a good source for some sleepers so far.

And one mentioned by Woodlief is Victor Oreskovich. He was named the OPJHA (Ontario Junior A)'s top prospect last year. This year he is playing for Green Bay of the USHL, before heading to Notre Dame next season. He's 6'2 and 216, a power forward with speed. He's got 2 goals and 6 assists in 10 games so far, and only appears to be heating up. He's one of the youngest players in the entire USHL.

IMO He's definitely one to keep an eye on.

A few guys to keep an eye on in the OHL would be Bryan Bickell of the Ottawa 67's and Gino Pisellini of the Plymouth Whalers. Both could also be good power forward prospects.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Markov79fan said:
Kevin Mailhot

he just lost his skill : Since his freak injury at the canada game he has not been the same players

Before this year, a lot scout talked he was Top20 potentiel in the 2004 draft

What happened with Mailhot?

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
SmokeyClause said:
What happened with Mailhot?

He was pushed in the net by an opposing defensemen(he was on a breakaway) and his back collide with the goal post and he leaved the game on a stretcher. (That was at the canada game)

By the way, he look really good in that tournament

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
He stopped scoring :D

...sorry, couldn't help myself...

Sleepers...depends what you mean by that...do you mean someone who'll crack the Top 10 or Top 20 from out of nowwhere... or some kid who'll crack the 1st 3 rounds of the draft...some of you will remember that I'm one of the editors in a new draft guide...(when the site's up, I'll post details for those that want to know about it...should happen within the next month or so)...but there are certain guys who have already moved up bigtime in my eyes...

DREW STAFFORD (F) - North Dakota - this guy will be Top 10 material if he keeps up his play...he totally turned a game around against BC with 2 rushes which resulted in goals...the kid's got magic.

ADREW LADD (F) - Calgary Hitmen - Is another guy who people are really buzzing about...power forward.

MATT MCILVANE (F) - Chicago of the USHL - Budding power forward...was Rookie of the Year in the NAHL...I think he's slated for Ohio State next year.

ERIC LAMPE (F) - Chicago of the USHL...small kid but has great offensive upside which he showed a glimpse of in the U-18 Junior World Cup.

LUKE LUCYK (D) - Tri-City of the USHL - Also had a nice U-18 Junior World Cup with 4 points in 5 games.

CORY SCHNEIDER (G) - Andover Academy - For my money, just as good as SHWARZ in the U-18 Junior World Cup. Has looked great since then as well.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Chief said:
CORY SCHNEIDER (G) - Andover Academy - For my money, just as good as SHWARZ in the U-18 Junior World Cup. Has looked great since then as well.

Schneider was drafted by the rimouski oceancic last year, any chance to have him playing with the oceanic next year or he really want to play in college.

Because Oceanic need a goalie next year to being real Memorial cup contender and for all the article i read about Schneider he is really good.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Don't know about Schneider's plans but there could be worse things than playing on a team with Crosby ;)

X-SHARKIE

Dmitri Shitikov ...Steal of the draft so far. I just love the guy, He's small at 5-9, and by that I mean a small 5-9, he looks 5-8. Anywho the skill is there, he's top 10 mabey 5 if were going just by skill, not size including. He could be a little fireball in the NHL. Still he definitly lacks size but i'm very high on the kid even though he's that small.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
my sleeper pick:
Denis Parshin: CSKA2 - 16pts in 14 games..
5'8 158 pounds.. but damn he's good...
2003 U18 Junior World Cup : best forward of team russia with 6pts in 5 games..

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Dmitri Shitikov ...Steal of the draft so far. I just love the guy, He's small at 5-9, and by that I mean a small 5-9, he looks 5-8. Anywho the skill is there, he's top 10 mabey 5 if were going just by skill, not size including. He could be a little fireball in the NHL. Still he definitly lacks size but i'm very high on the kid even though he's that small.

He needs all the skill he can get with a name like that.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
gagnefan said:
He needs all the skill he can get with a name like that.

If he does make it to the NHL, will they bleep out his name?
Smith with the puck...passes it over to (beep)ikov......(beep)ikov shoots! Save, rebound! (beep)ikov scores!!!!!!

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Chief said:
MATT MCILVANE (F) - Chicago of the USHL - Budding power forward...was Rookie of the Year in the NAHL...I think he's slated for Ohio State next year.
McIlvane wasn't rookie of the year, he was all-rookie team and rookie of the month for February. Regardless, he looks really really good. I happened to be in Iowa last week so I interviewed him.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6760

SwOOsh*

30 SCHITIKOV, DIMITRI CSKA 2 RUS 2 LEAGUE 21 JAN 86 5'10 176 RW L

A little different then Sh!t but yeah =P

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Dustin Boyd of Moose Jaw is one I can think of, hes under acheived so far in the whl but the guy has tremendous skill and speed and if im not mistaken set or came close to setting scoring records in winnioeg minor hockey.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Daniel_Tkaczuk said:
From the Q:

Josh Tordjman
Gabriel Bouthillette
Brent Aubin

Bouth is a product of the system.

Tordjman is a very godo goalie, 2nd year of eligibilty and he is the lighhtest player in the league at a whopping 140 lbs!!! And he is 6'01. Still id take him.

Aubin, agreed, no respect because of the size.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Some Sleepers in my opinion

40 GRAHAM, BRUCE QMJHL MONCTON 12/2/1985 6' 6" 220
45 CABANA, FREDERIK QMJHL HALIFAX 5/16/1986 6' 0.5" 182
68 HUNTER, ERIC WHL PRINCE GEORGE 8/11/1986 6' 1" 192
96 HENSICK, T.J. CCHA UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN 12/10/1985 5' 9" 180
100 KARSUMS, MARTINS QMJHL MONCTON 2/26/1986 5' 10" 177
134 SAWYER, JEAN-CLAUDE QMJHL CAPE BRETON 8/12/1986 6' 2" 194
204 CARD, MIKE WHL KELOWNA 2/18/1986 6' 0.5" 201

6 ELLIS-PLANTE, JULIEN QMJHL SHAWINIGAN 1/27/1986 6' 0.5" 188
17 CHURCHILL, JASON QMJHL HALIFAX 11/5/1985 6' 3.5" 184
23 HOULE, MARTIN QMJHL CAPE BRETON 2/12/1985 5' 10.5" 170

Karsums has amazing skills and grit for his size. Mike Card was highly regarded, and he has skills, it would be a nice later round pick because you never know, it could be an off year.

I cant comment on Euros, or very many US players.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
My favorites, Michal Sersen an excellent d-man who will be selected in the late 2nd or early in the 3rd

Mark Tobin who's playing amazing hockey lately and he's a physical, gritty and sometimes dirty wings with a great physique (6'3 205) who can score goals in front of the net. He will be selected in the 4th or 5th round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad