Who’s this years scapegoat? Or spacegoat?

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
With Abdelkader,Ericsson, AA etc. gone from last years debacle who’s going to get the brunt of the criticism this year if things don’t go well? I gotta think Neilson takes the top spot this year. If somehow Frans rebounds to the player he was a few years back I honestly don’t know who I would pick. Probably Blashill? There has to be a “spacegoat”

Reactions: lilidk

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Blashill for sure, and probably rightly so.

Also hate to say it, but Larkin if he doesn't have a big season, that's part of having the C. However I think he's going to have a monster season!

Additionally, as high as I am on Mantha, if his injuries or consistency problems continue, I could see him getting the Franzen fan treatment.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Easy ones: Blashill, Nielsen, Mantha if he gets hurt by a dumb play

Possibly: Larkin because he’s wearing the C now, Zadina, Bert

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Not nearly enough credit given to Bernier if he has even a slight regression to his high level of play down the stretch, winning games will become more of a chore. He has history on both ends of the spectrum.

As we know, in Detroit there are rules. It's the goalies fault, it's the quarterback's fault, it's the coach's fault, it's the GM's fault, it's ownership's fault.

Rinse, repeat.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Biggest salaries who are struggling as a player are nowadays the greatest scapegoats.

Nielsen
Filppula

Also Blashill will be the scapegoat, if we win too much. He spoils the TANK!

And Blashill will be the scapegoat, if we lose too much. SHOULD BE FIRED!

What funny in human beings, they like to always to have the scapegoat, no matter what the team status is.

In 2002 team, scapegoats were Boyd Devereaux, Jason Williams and Mathieu Dandenault. There has to be somebody to blaim.

Brent Gilchrist was also one of the biggest scapegoats on those years between Cups.

2008 team, which did play almost perfect season, had Lebda who was too soft, Lilja who was too slow, and Samuelsson, who always did shoot wide.

Only negative player on that team was Dallas Drake, but man, he was tough guy and hard hitter. Then everything is forgiven. Except if you are Abdelkader in a losing team.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Keeping Franzen and letting Hossa go will be the eternal spacegoat:sarcasm:

I'll throw Tom Greezy (Griese) into the mix. If he struggles it'll be, "why'd we get this sieve"?, "we may as well have Howie back", blaaaaaahhh.

Reactions: 14ari13

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Goats: Blashill, Nielsen, Erne, Cholowski, Biega, Filpulla passing instead of shooting.

Maybes: Mantha's incoming injury woes, Rasmussen getting/not getting playing time, Greiss/Bernier, our new FA and waiver defensemen, Larkin starting the season cold like last year.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Nielsen, especially with the "A".

Staal also seems like he'll get an an unfair amount of hate being an older guy and well known name.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Players that we cannot reasonably expect to have a big impact on the game: Nielsen, Erne, Staal, Filp, Biega... Goalies are also always eligible for Spacegoat treatment.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Tynp9-pRZrsKxTerWf9bDzZoHSpbKFrw_qFvk6Lj4qE.jpg

Image of Lando Calrissian riding on Danny Dekeyser the spacegoat.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The entire coaching staff (I expect them to all be replaced sometime this summer regardless)

Mantha (if he's on the IR for significant lengths of time - plus his big contract he just signed)

Cholowski (if/when he plays for he seems lost in his own end of the ice)

Abby/Ericsson/Daley/Howard all gone - much of the crap landed on them, and in many cases they deserved it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nielsen and Blashill seem like the most probable targets for dissatisfaction...

...but isn't it tough to have a scapegoat when you're already expecting to be a bottom 5 team?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Trashill: The team this year on paper is better. Should be more competitive so fans are still going to be quick to jump on him if the team doesn't look like their responding/progressing.

Neilsen: No one would even remember he was on the team if they didn't give him a letter. Takes Abby's place as the over payed under performing leader.

Otherwise most of the dead weight is gone or soon to be out the door..

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
With Abdelkader,Ericsson, AA etc. gone from last years debacle who’s going to get the brunt of the criticism this year if things don’t go well? I gotta think Neilson takes the top spot this year. If somehow Frans rebounds to the player he was a few years back I honestly don’t know who I would pick. Probably Blashill? There has to be a “spacegoat”

A lot depends on performance.
Say Mantha/Larkin have a bad year.
Nielsen/Flip/Helm are old guys... they're the guys who will catch the most heat.
Ryan/Gagner suck but benefit from being on easy contracts and shiny new toy syndrome.
Staal could make enemies fast.

I say Blashill gets a free ride, because he always gets a free ride, and because the team will be improved regardless of how he does his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad