Who’s the goalie guru on HF Habs?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
In order of importance. For me

No 1: Reflexes (hand eye cord. is included here)
No 2: Agility
No 3: Anticipation
No 4: Technique
No 5: Recovery

MVP: Setting up traps instead of chasing the play.

I want to know what you guys top 5 is

#1. Mental toughness, winner attitude.
#2. Technique
#3. Reflexes
#4. Vision
#5. Athleticism

Basically, you think like a loser, you are one and you’ve already lost the game before putting the equipment on.

Good technique will compensate for almost every other physical trait.

Reflexes are important as end of the day, handling shots coming at you 100mph is going to need speed.

Vision is important as all the reflexes in the world won’t help you if you can’t see plays developing and anticipate correctly.

Athleticism is the final saving grace for goalies caught out of position or need to get that big push to go post to post.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
1. Vision- if you can’t track the puck or read a stick, you’re screwed right from the get go.
2. Technique- if you’re technically sound, you don’t have to over compensate in other areas.
3. Composure- goaltending is 99% mental. You need to learn to forget quick. You’re going to let in bad goals, when it happens worry about the next shot. This ties in with consistency.
4. Communication- being on the same page as your defenders is huge. A goaltender has the best position to see the play all over the ice so letting your players know what’s going on at all times when the play is in your end is very important.
5. Positioning- if you know your angles, you’re putting yourself in a position to throw shooters off. The less net they have to look at, the more vulnerable they are to overthink and make a bad shot/play.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
#1. Mental toughness, winner attitude.
#2. Technique
#3. Reflexes
#4. Vision
#5. Athleticism

Basically, you think like a loser, you are one and you’ve already lost the game before putting the equipment on.

Good technique will compensate for almost every other physical trait.

Reflexes are important as end of the day, handling shots coming at you 100mph is going to need speed.

Vision is important as all the reflexes in the world won’t help you if you can’t see plays developing and anticipate correctly.

Athleticism is the final saving grace for goalies caught out of position or need to get that big push to go post to post.
Pretty much this !!!

Reactions: sandviper

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
tough to order, but these are the 4 aspects.

#1 Anticipation- ability to read the play and process the game at high speeds in order to be where one needs to be stop the puck.
#2 Mental Toughness and Confidence- incredibly tough position, and one needs to be able to snap and clear the past in order to stop the next shot. Relaxed focus.
#3 Technique- knowing when and how to employ different techniques for stopping the puck and moving around ones crease.
#4 Size/Reflexes- basically the ability to use ones body to cover the net.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
1. Positioning/Technique
2. Awareness/Vision (Who`s on the ice, where, shooting lanes, passing lanes?)
3. Reflexes
4. Mental Toughness
5. Athleticism

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
1. Vision- if you can’t track the puck or read a stick, you’re screwed right from the get go.
2. Technique- if you’re technically sound, you don’t have to over compensate in other areas.
3. Composure- goaltending is 99% mental. You need to learn to forget quick. You’re going to let in bad goals, when it happens worry about the next shot. This ties in with consistency.
4. Communication- being on the same page as your defenders is huge. A goaltender has the best position to see the play all over the ice so letting your players know what’s going on at all times when the play is in your end is very important.
5. Positioning- if you know your angles, you’re putting yourself in a position to throw shooters off. The less net they have to look at, the more vulnerable they are to overthink and make a bad shot/play.

Nice list.

I would put reflexes and agility on top of vision because your reation still needs to be fast and accurate otherwise its gonna go in regardless.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Nice list.

I would put reflexes and agility on top of vision because your reation still needs to be fast and accurate otherwise its gonna go in regardless.

I tried to keep physical advantages and natural abilities out of it just because they vary greatly from goalie to goalie. But you’re right, they are essential.

Reactions: Genesis76

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Good call on communication. I often stress to my goalie to communicate with his defenders, especially when dealing with fore checkers. Often times, our defenders go puck chasing and leave kids open in the slot or by the crease and unless our goalie speaks up, those players get prime scoring chances.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Good call on communication. I often stress to my goalie to communicate with his defenders, especially when dealing with fore checkers. Often times, our defenders go puck chasing and leave kids open in the slot or by the crease and unless our goalie speaks up, those players get prime scoring chances.

When you train kids, and I know the same was for myself way back, communication seems to be the hardest thing to teach. You want your goalies, especially the young ones to be vocal, but it doesn’t come easy. You scream constantly from the bench for them to talk. Any NHL goaltender would know that obviously, but some will be less vocal then others even in the big leagues.

Reactions: sandviper

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nice list.

Seeing the puck and knowing what to do with it is much more important as reflexes usually don't matter, you're not faster than a flying puck.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Confidance.
Great goalies have it. Bordeline cockiness. Your team can feed on a goalie's confidance
Patrick Roy was like that. Once you lose it, its harder to stop the puck.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It all c
Confidance.
Great goalies have it. Bordeline cockiness. Your team can feed on a goalie's confidance
Patrick Roy was like that. Once you lose it, its harder to stop the puck.
"All starts with Caa-reeeeey"

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
5th goal:
This is a combination of Eichel being great and Petry being terrible Nothing Price can do here, it's bang bang off a face-off play where he has to respect the shot of Eichel and trust his d-man to take away that pass.

I disagree with this. I don't like how a portion of Price's body is hanging out of his net in the angle with Eichel not covering anything and placing him farther away from his objective if he has to move laterally. I also don't like how much he buys into Eichel shooting the puck from where he was standing (no chance..).

A bad read, too much commitment. I would have liked him to not be on his knees, not be so far in front. Lundqvist in his prime makes a tough save here because he stands farther back and relies more on actual reflexes and skills. But no.. Price is so amazing technically.. except that cannot possibly have been the good way to play this.

On the replay, it looks like nothing could have been done, but a better read could have meant a lot, at least made it harder for Skinner to score. Instead of an easy empty net goal, maybe you need to have to shoot at a 50% empty net...

Last edited:
Reactions: Genesis76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->