Who’s the goalie guru on HF Habs?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Another goalie here. I actually don't mind what I'm seeing from Price, I see movement skills that are back to where they were and overall confidence. This isn't last year where he was a mess physically and mentally. I think over the course of the season you will see his numbers inch higher and he'll end the year fine.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
How many goalies under 6 feet are left in the NHL Genesis? Then tell me how many have entered in the last 5 years and how many project in the near future. And then tell me my perception of how the game has evolved is twisted.

That's not what we're arguing.

And then tell me my perception of how the game has evolved is twisted.

Bigger goalies have always had a frame advantage. That has nothing to do with how the game is evolving.
The avg goalie is better than he used to be, granted.

And I’ve been critiquing Price’s game for over a year so try again.

You've also bashed Halak numerous times in the process.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
That's not what we're arguing.

Bigger goalies have always had a frame advantage. That has nothing to do with how the game is evolving.
The avg goalie is better than he used to be, granted.

You've also bashed Halak numerous times in the process.

No, I’ve never bashed Halak. I simply told you the truth. Journeyman goalie on his 5th team who could never crack it as a true number 1. That’s not bashing. That’s simply telling you a truth you don’t want to hear. Bashing would be sitting in any Halak thread on this forum over the last 8 years telling everyone he’s awful with a bias like you’ve done with Price. You want so badly to say I told you so with that trade but Price was simply too good for too long of a period for you to ever win the argument you want to win. Had Price choked even a couple of years after 2010, you’d have a debate. But as it stands now, you can’t other then a ridiculous contract that falls more on our GM making the team all about him then it will ever be him accepting it. Ask yourself this, if Price was in fact the goalie traded in 2010, how many fans on this forum would be freaking out when he hit his potential like he inevitably would with another team as opposed to Halak? And how long would Halak really have lived after that 2010 playoff run? People want to hang Price publicly despite one of the greatest seasons ever recorded by a goalie not named Hasek, among several other top 3-5 seasons. The fans would’ve chased Halak away many years ago. You need to get over it. If you’re going to argue had that happened, we atleast wouldn’t be stuck with an albatross contract, then I’d agree. But you’d still be ignoring Price’s past performances, using hindsight, and grasping at straws.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
No, I’ve never bashed Halak. I simply told you the truth. Journeyman goalie on his 5th team who could never crack it as a true number 1. That’s not bashing. That’s simply telling you a truth you don’t want to hear. Bashing would be sitting in any Halak thread on this forum over the last 8 years telling everyone he’s awful with a bias like you’ve done with Price. You want so badly to say I told you so with that trade but Price was simply too good for too long of a period for you to ever win the argument you want to win. Had Price choked even a couple of years after 2010, you’d have a debate. But as it stands now, you can’t other then a ridiculous contract that falls more on our GM making the team all about him then it will ever be him accepting it. Ask yourself this, if Price was in fact the goalie traded in 2010, how many fans on this forum would be freaking out when he hit his potential like he inevitably would with another team as opposed to Halak? And how long would Halak really have lived after that 2010 playoff run? People want to hang Price publicly despite one of the greatest seasons ever recorded by a goalie not named Hasek, among several other top 3-5 seasons. The fans would’ve chased Halak away many years ago. You need to get over it. If you’re going to argue had that happened, we atleast wouldn’t be stuck with an albatross contract, then I’d agree. But you’d still be ignoring Price’s past performances, using hindsight, and grasping at straws.

Ok well see here is the problem, you're denying the fact that theres a ton of damage control being done by the media to protect CP.

The Halak trade was not a hockey but a political trade.
Some one wanted CP to play here for the rest of his life no matter what.
No other player was given as many chances as this guy.

CP had one great year... thats really great, I wish he had a few more.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Ok well see here is the problem, you're denying the fact that theres a ton of damage control being done by the media to protect CP.

You can’t even grasp what a political trade is. A political trade would’ve been caving into the pure pressure of the media who wanted Price gone after the 2010 run. It was the former managements decision to take a shot on the younger goalie who had more potential. And it played out exactly how they expected it too. I don’t know how you can sit there with a straight face and say “somebody wanted Carey Price to play here forever” when the management team who made that back then. That trade was ancient history when Price’s extension was signed. The only one who wanted him here until he retired was Bergevin and his brass and they payed threw the teeth to make it happen. They have nothing to do Gauthier/Gainey. You’re talking like it’s November 2010 and Price is struggling like he has been. You’re stuck in the past. And 2010/11, 13/14, and 16/17 saw Price in the top 3-5 of goalies outside of his trophy year. Where does this “one” good season keep coming from? Halak has been on the ballot for Vezina once, and his partner Brian Elliott had more votes then him that season.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

What does halak have compared to his "one good season"though?

10 great games in the playoffs from 9 seasons ago and a stint in the minors?

I laugh at halaks name whenever its mentioned because I always thought it was an inside joke of some sort. In fact I still do.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
What does halak have compared to his "one good season"though?

10 great games in the playoffs from 9 seasons ago and a stint in the minors?

I laugh at halaks name whenever its mentioned because I always thought it was an inside joke of some sort. In fact I still do.

Its mater of perspective.. Halak is 5.10 was drafted 271st overall and had to earn his spot in 2010 over the same CP some people still believe is the best goalie in the world

This guy had to fight demons to get in the NHL.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I played goal my whole life and played some jr hockey. Price technically is fine. Hes still having problems tracking pucks and I believe trusting his defenceman. Goaltending is all about angles and anticipation. Understanding what the next play will be. Again price is solid in this area. Once he starts to see the puck better his confidence will grow and his perform better me because of it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Its mater of perspective.. Halak is 5.10 was drafted 271st overall and had to earn his spot in 2010 over the same CP some people still believe is the best goalie in the world

This guy had to fight demons to get in the NHL.
I get that. He got a bum deal in Montreal, while price had the job handed to him multiple times.

The right decision was still made when they chose price.

Reactions: Genesis76

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Probably white with red jersey and red with white jersey......une vrai carte de mode ce Carey

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I get that. He got a bum deal in Montreal, while price had the job handed to him multiple times.

The right decision was still made when they chose price.

Its hard to say... Specially now that Halak is having a career year and Price well...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Halak also got rekt last night ^

1-0 goal last night:

This is a typical 2-on-1 situation where Price is relying on Mete to take the pass away. Rodrigues does a very good job of faking the shot, however a confident Price wouldn't have reacted to the fake so fully that he couldn't make an effort to push across. As with most 2-on-1s, if the defenseman plays it right, it's a save, if they don't, it's usually going in the net. Mete played it horribly, he's gotta make an extension there to cover the bottom of the ice and not let a pass across. He got caught in no man's land and got crossed up on the fake shot.

2-1 goal:

This is a bad rebound by Carey Price. It's a harmless shot from the perimeter that he needs to redirect with his pad, or usually stick, into the corner. He's not playing with any confidence here, reacting late to the shot and putting it back out in front, where he doesn't track the puck and it's in the back of the net. There's no goalie interference here, right call on the ice.

3rd goal:
Price has to be down here to seal the post for any attempted jam play. There's both defenseman in front of the net, which means they are in perfect defensive position here. We don't have an idiotic defenceman chasing the puck behind the net where no one can score. Issue here is the defense gets caught puck watching. No one is attempting to tie up the man and ensure they can't get to the puck. They miss defending the pass and it's a one timer on the lip of the crease. No chance. Even if he saves it? They are burying that rebound. The second defenceman, who is in charge of the guy sneaking in, has to be facing his check. He's puck watching and literally is not defending at all.

4th goal:
Wow what a bad sequence here for Price. He's not tracking the puck off a stick at all. He's deep in his net. He got beat on three shots in this sequence, before the third one goes in the net.. and it's in the net before he's even identified where it is. He isn't getting low or trying hard to look through traffic, he's battling it here and just playing percentages rather than reading and reacting.

5th goal:
This is a combination of Eichel being great and Petry being terrible Nothing Price can do here, it's bang bang off a face-off play where he has to respect the shot of Eichel and trust his d-man to take away that pass.

6th goal:
Awful. You can't get beat by an unscreened clapper at the top of the circles. He's defeated.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

1-0 goal last night:

This is a typical 2-on-1 situation where Price is relying on Mete to take the pass away. Rodrigues does a very good job of faking the shot, however a confident Price wouldn't have reacted to the fake so fully that he couldn't make an effort to push across. As with most 2-on-1s, if the defenseman plays it right, it's a save, if they don't, it's usually going in the net. Mete played it horribly, he's gotta make an extension there to cover the bottom of the ice and not let a pass across. He got caught in no man's land and got crossed up on the fake shot.

2-1 goal:

This is a bad rebound by Carey Price. It's a harmless shot from the perimeter that he needs to redirect with his pad, or usually stick, into the corner. He's not playing with any confidence here, reacting late to the shot and putting it back out in front, where he doesn't track the puck and it's in the back of the net. There's no goalie interference here, right call on the ice.

3rd goal:
Price has to be down here to seal the post for any attempted jam play. There's both defenseman in front of the net, which means they are in perfect defensive position here. We don't have an idiotic defenceman chasing the puck behind the net where no one can score. Issue here is the defense gets caught puck watching. No one is attempting to tie up the man and ensure they can't get to the puck. They miss defending the pass and it's a one timer on the lip of the crease. No chance. Even if he saves it? They are burying that rebound. The second defenceman, who is in charge of the guy sneaking in, has to be facing his check. He's puck watching and literally is not defending at all.

4th goal:
Wow what a bad sequence here for Price. He's not tracking the puck off a stick at all. He's deep in his net. He got beat on three shots in this sequence, before the third one goes in the net.. and it's in the net before he's even identified where it is. He isn't getting low or trying hard to look through traffic, he's battling it here and just playing percentages rather than reading and reacting.

5th goal:
This is a combination of Eichel being great and Petry being terrible Nothing Price can do here, it's bang bang off a face-off play where he has to respect the shot of Eichel and trust his d-man to take away that pass.

6th goal:
Awful. You can't get beat by an unscreened clapper at the top of the circles. He's defeated.

I don’t know how goals 3 and 6 went threw so clean. Players are finding holes that aren’t even there and the puck is beating him like he’s a hologram on the ice. It’s beyond a goalie coaches control imo at the moment. He’s got to find a way to beat whatever is going on in his head.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

1-0 goal last night:

2-1 goal:

3rd goal:

4th goal:

5th goal:

6th goal:

This sequence was not a goal, luckily for Carey.

If this is not brutal goaltending i dont know what is.

View attachment 153007

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've played goaltender myself when I was Novice B and I was way better than Price.

Another nominee for Post of the Year. :laugh:

2lw2hq.jpg

We are all experts in everything, do we need another thread to prove this?

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Julien is unhappy with not only Price's performance in last game (BUF), but that the system he had put in since the start of the year... something is just off as of now. Niemi was great last year. He's been "good" so far, he got the job done. Well, he's a backup so he's not in his prime anymore.. but he's still surprising!
similar price niemi.jpg

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
“Price has 8 highlight reel saves in 11 games, has the lowest distance per goal average in the league and is among the best in high danger situations...
All those things correlate to bad defense, but let's not do some research. Hang him out to dry instead of supporting the team..” -Kel Mercredie

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
In order of importance. For me

No 1: Reflexes (hand eye cord. is included here)
No 2: Agility
No 3: Anticipation
No 4: Technique
No 5: Recovery

MVP: Setting up traps instead of chasing the play.

I want to know what you guys top 5 is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->