Who’s More Likely Our Next Captain: Lafreniere or Fox

Who’s more likely our next captain?

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Adam Fox

Results are only viewable after voting.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I myself am more of a hockey traditionalist than most, and my uncle is even mores so, he’s a total boomer who when I tell him the Canucks signed a new player the first question he has is “how big is he?” :laugh: But something he pointed out to me during that incident was how Mika was much closer to the play and skated away, Panarin came from far away and skated right at Wilson and jumped into it. Mika is pretty big and Panarin is one of the smallest players in the league. A leader should stand up for their teammates. I’ve long thought Mika was too meek & milquetoast for a captain, this solidified that.

Panarin would be a great captain, he checks every box except his English lol
Panarin, I think, is the most proven player we have. But he's more of a lovable goofball type.

I think you want a Henrik Lundqvist-type as the captain - someone who holds the other players accountable in that room. Who dials up the intensity. Who gets in other players' faces when need be and commands respect.

I don't think that particular player has revealed themselves yet.

DM Smiths

Jan 8, 2012
New York
I honestly don't think either of the two. We'd see Trouba, Kreider, or Zibanejad get the C before either of those guys. I could see Laf or Foxy getting the A though no doubt.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
fox doesn't seem like the type to want it . trouba if they decide to name one right away.

clearly laf's team in short order though, could already see his personality taking over late in this year. don't think its outta the question he gets it now, esp if they hold off for a bit early in the year to get a read. he's always having fun out there, but the kid is a killer when he needs to be. that part of his game will arrive soon

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
fox doesn't seem like the type to want it . trouba if they decide to name one right away.

clearly laf's team in short order though, could already see his personality taking over late in this year. don't think its outta the question he gets it now, esp if they hold off for a bit early in the year to get a read. he's always having fun out there, but the kid is a killer when he needs to be. that part of his game will arrive soon
I think he is more than a season away from "killer" status . I hope I am wrong . He is quite young .

Tom W

Apr 8, 2021
I honestly don't think either of the two. We'd see Trouba, Kreider, or Zibanejad get the C before either of those guys. I could see Laf or Foxy getting the A though no doubt.
Kreider is not what a Captain should be. This guy disappears way to much and his lazy efforts is not what should be the leader of this team.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Laf, when do you guys think we could give him the C?
Teams have done it going into their sophomore season before so it's not unheard of, he is a 1OA pick and possesses more leadership qualities than most. Or do we wait until his 3rd season? I don't like not having a captain
He's had 56 games in the NHL and 15 of those were preseason quality. And it's only in the last ten games or so that he's really being more assertive and not looking like a shy kid. I wouldn't even consider it until next summer.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I think Trouba would make a god captain. He’s going to be around for a good amount of time as well. Plus he’s the kind of player that will set the tone.

I think if anything giving Trouba the C could elevate his game even more

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I find that very unlikely at this point.

The core pretty much is what it is long-term and we're very much in the augmenting phase.

Yeah, during the augmenting phase I can see how the Rangers will add a veteran presence like Getzlaf who would then become our imported captain..

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, during the augmenting phase I can see how the Rangers will add a veteran presence like Getzlaf who would then become our imported captain..
I guess they could go that route but that's rare (these guys more often get A's) and that would last like a year.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Trouba would make a god captain. He’s going to be around for a good amount of time as well. Plus he’s the kind of player that will set the tone.

I think if anything giving Trouba the C could elevate his game even more
I know they really liked Trouba and it seemed like it was his, but then again, that's before they fired everyone.

And then, if somebody emerges, he can just pass it. Teams change captains, it's a thing.

Reactions: Richard Banger

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I think he is more than a season away from "killer" status . I hope I am wrong . He is quite young .

from the player he'll ultimately become, for sure. and to be clear with the phrase killer - it was with respect to being the type of player that genuinely loves the big moment and will take over in it. he'll by no means be a finished product there next season, but i expect we'll see flashes. i definitely don't expect him to be a wrecking ball every night physically in case that was interpreted. he's a guy that brings an energy and confidence to the bench, and both capable of an willing to go deliver a big hit to get the energy going at times. he's a big boy and i expect to see some of that next season, but to your point he's still very young and certainly shouldn't be expected to be that kind of presence yet. i just really hope he doesn't pull a svechnikov and bite off more than he can chew by letting something escalate to a fight with someone like ovi

Reactions: leetch99

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I guess they could go that route but that's rare (these guys more often get A's) and that would last like a year.

Surely it’s a rare thing, but there really hasn’t been anyone who stepped up for the C.. Kreider early this season looked like he should have been named captain, but then it seems like he either sulked or got pissed and was a real detriment to his game.. It’s unfortunate, but I see it as we are going to import some leadership..

Fox- Really quiet by all accounts, also young.

Zibenajad- Talented, but may not be here long term. Also, laid back personality.

Laf/Kakko- Too young, need to be led..

Lindgren- Maybe someday would be captain material..

Buchnevich- Same as Zbad..

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Surely it’s a rare thing, but there really hasn’t been anyone who stepped up for the C.. Kreider early this season looked like he should have been named captain, but then it seems like he either sulked or got pissed and was a real detriment to his game.. It’s unfortunate, but I see it as we are going to import some leadership..

Fox- Really quiet by all accounts, also young.

Zibenajad- Talented, but may not be here long term. Also, laid back personality.

Laf/Kakko- Too young, need to be led..

Lindgren- Maybe someday would be captain material..

Buchnevich- Same as Zbad..
I wouldn't be against importing a veteran but I wouldn't give him the C. I think giving a guy the captaincy day one with a new team is bonkers and has historically gone poorly.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Panarin would be a great captain, he checks every box except his English lol
This is exactly what you need though. It's the captain's job to communicate with the refs, so if the refs end up saying something Panarin doesn't like, he can just skate away cussing in Russian, leaving the refs in complete disarray.

Genius.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I wouldn't be against importing a veteran but I wouldn't give him the C. I think giving a guy the captaincy day one with a new team is bonkers and has historically gone poorly.

I don’t agree with this entirely.. I think it depends on who it is that is brought in, if it was say Panarin when he was signed and just given the C, then yes, that would be bonkers.. However, a veteran leader (like Getzlaf) I don’t think would be bonkers, it would make sense..

I get the sentiment that you typically want your captain to be homegrown, but we aren’t there.. Kreider is too inconsistent and lets certain things bother him too much..

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t agree with this entirely.. I think it depends on who it is that is brought in, if it was say Panarin when he was signed and just given the C, then yes, that would be bonkers.. However, a veteran leader (like Getzlaf) I don’t think would be bonkers, it would make sense..

I get the sentiment that you typically want your captain to be homegrown, but we aren’t there.. Kreider is too inconsistent and lets certain things bother him too much..
It's not even about homegrown. He doesn't know a single guy in our room from Adam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->