• Alexis Lafreniere

• Adam Fox

Results are only viewable after voting.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Laf may be captain one day, but not in his infant youth. They tend to give those out to the "mature" kids like Toews, Crosby, Landeskog, etc. But you can tell one day people are going to murder for that ranga bastard. Love him.
Fox seems a bit odd, no? Very Leetch like. Let him just dominate on the ice.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
According to Lafreniere Mika should be the next captain.

But... but... but he has no personality in front of the press asking him dumb questions during post-game interviews, which automatically means he has no personality in the locker room either and cannot be a leader.:sarcasm:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Personality-wise, I think Laf makes more sense, but I'm not sure that either get it. If Zib is re-signed, it very well could be him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Fox is Leetch, Sublime talent but not a Captain.

Zibanejad also too 'Beta' to be a captain. Not that he's necessarily 'soft' but he's another quite type. He's never done anything when someone took advantage of another Ranger or ran their goalies, he's out.

Lafreniere seems like the one. In addition to his talent, he's got that outgoing personality like he's one of the boys and he's got a nice edge to him.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Fox is Leetch, Sublime talent but not a Captain.

Zibanejad also too 'Beta' to be a captain. Not that he's necessarily 'soft' but he's another quite type. He's never done anything when someone took advantage of another Ranger or ran their goalies, he's out.

Lafreniere seems like the one. In addition to his talent, he's got that outgoing personality like he's one of the boys and he's got a nice edge to him.
I myself am more of a hockey traditionalist than most, and my uncle is even mores so, he’s a total boomer who when I tell him the Canucks signed a new player the first question he has is “how big is he?” :laugh: But something he pointed out to me during that incident was how Mika was much closer to the play and skated away, Panarin came from far away and skated right at Wilson and jumped into it. Mika is pretty big and Panarin is one of the smallest players in the league. A leader should stand up for their teammates. I’ve long thought Mika was too meek & milquetoast for a captain, this solidified that.

Panarin would be a great captain, he checks every box except his English lol

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Trouba keeps it warm for a few years until Lafreniere is ready. Trouba stepped up towards the end and then the team fell apart without him.

Zibanejad seemed like more of a leader in past years. We would see him take teammates to task for their performance. I didn't see that as much from him this year. With Zibanejad and Kreider, I feel like if they were going to be named captain, it would have been done already. With Trouba, you could say he needed time to get comfortable with the team.

Reactions: yada

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Choosing Lafreniere would be a symbolic gesture at this point, but it's the correct one.

The alternative is you pick a current veteran but then likely have to strip it from them for Lafreniere 2 years from now before we are able to find a way to trade them, which would be very bad form and very unusual.

So I think you just go with Lafreniere and let him grow into that.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If Laf, when do you guys think we could give him the C?
Teams have done it going into their sophomore season before so it's not unheard of, he is a 1OA pick and possesses more leadership qualities than most. Or do we wait until his 3rd season? I don't like not having a captain

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This may be one place where you see Drury put his mark on the team. I don’t know why the Rangers didn’t have a captain. They have good candidates. Perhaps it was Quinn not wanting to put a stake in the ground.

Players and coaches are not the only thing Drury is going to change. I expect there will be a captain come training camp.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Id give it to Trouba to raise his value around the league, that’s #2 and more importantly because he went down and we fell apart. Just goes to show how important he is to the team. Nasty SOB on the ice too and doesn’t take shit from anyone.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I read this question as who is more likely to be captain someday, as opposed to who should be named captain now or in the short term. I don't think either gets named short term.

Long term, based on what I've heard about personality, and seen, Lafreniere "looks" like he's gonna be a guy who sets the personality tone for his team and leads them on the ice as well. That's not a knock on Fox --- which inevitably it almost feels like. But I think Laf is gonna be a captain and face of the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad