Who’s this year’s MONSTER PERFORMER?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Yes, it’s that time of year again! Unlike other threads that ask you to predict who will actually play well or contribute to his team, I want your guess as to whom Pierre McGuire will compare to a Hall of Famer of the same nationality and shout WHAMO! every time they win a face-off.

My guess is Marc-André Cliché becomes the next Guy Carbonneau.

espo*

You kind of beat me to it.I was waiting for just before the first game to start the thread on just who would be Pierre's "boy" this year,the guy he picks as his favourite pet player in this tournament.Your question is kind of different but in the same vein.I'll have to think about this.

This is always fun.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
Bryan Little will be prime candidate. Pierre, armed with the fact that he was voted hardest worker in the OHL and his amazing skills, will not be able to stop gushing about this kid if he has any kind of success.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
I think Steve Downie will still get an uncomfortable amount of love this year.

Maybe Pierre compares him to Bobby Clarke?

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I'll say Pierre falls in love with James Neal in this tournament... and coming with it will be excessive use of the phrase big body presence

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
My annual Pierre guess for this year is going to be Brad Marchand.

Pierre likes those energy guys........I guess we'll see. He always has at least 1 man crush.

espo*

I have a hard time not thinking Downie will be his most treasured player.He'll love Staal(he's got great bloodlines!!!) and Parent too.

"Bloodlines",that should be solid Pierre speak this year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
McGuire can't be bothered to make it to the WJCs this year. They're just going to mike him beatin' it to Phaneuf's performance at the '05 tourney, splice in names of current players, and sync it up to a CGI Pierre.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I dunno...

McGuire's had a man crush on MacArthur and Helm plays a huge engery role with a lot of skill.

Let the mancrushing begin!

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Wouldn't be a bad comparison being that that's why they drafted him

Be that as it may, it's still as rediculous as comparing Toews to Trottier.

When Downie wins 3 Hart trophies, I'll accept he's like Bobby Clarke, until then, it's an easy way to say the guy works hard on the ice, is a good agitator, solid all-around player who can put up points.

I realize there's a difference between projecting and comparing, but even so, comparing Downie to a Bobby Clarke type player (which implies 1st line, MVP, all-around HHOFer) is far fetched. It does make it easy for all hockey fans to immediately conjure up an image of what type of hockey player the kid's going to be, but it still comes off as a tad rediculous.

espo*

Be that as it may, it's still as rediculous as comparing Toews to Trottier.

When Downie wins 3 Hart trophies, I'll accept he's like Bobby Clarke, until then, it's an easy way to say the guy works hard on the ice, is a good agitator, solid all-around player who can put up points.

I realize there's a difference between projecting and comparing, but even so, comparing Downie to a Bobby Clarke type player (which implies 1st line, MVP, all-around HHOFer) is far fetched. It does make it easy for all hockey fans to immediately conjure up an image of what type of hockey player the kid's going to be, but it still comes off as a tad rediculous.

For sure.Gee, you're spot on a lot.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think it will be Toews. I remember last year, just prior to the selection camp, Pierre McGuire was already gushing over Toews, saying how he was a special, special player. I can't see him change his tune on that, considering that this is his second year at the tournament, and should have a bigger impact/

espo*

I think it will be Toews. I remember last year, just prior to the selection camp, Pierre McGuire was already gushing over Toews, saying how he was a special, special player. I can't see him change his tune on that, considering that this is his second year at the tournament, and should have a bigger impact/

But will he have a bigger impact? You listen around here on the ncaa board and it seems like the guy is hurt or something and can't quite find a groove because of it.The "feeling" isn't right imo for Toews to be Pierres guy this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad