WHL well represented at the top of HF's ranking of the Top 50 NHL prospects

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Bernier is #3 because he deserves to be....remember, this is about trying to project who will have the most successful NHL career and right now Bernier has proved that he will be an All Star caliber goalie for many years....

Also, to the person that said Schenn should be lower because hes projected to play behind Kopitar, go look at the numbers hes put up this year and tell me if there is a single person you put above him....

If your in your right mind, hes a no brainer for #1.....

PPG in the AHL when he was up there....

Tied the record for the most points EVER by a Canadian player in the WJC....

Put up some of the most ridiculous numbers weve seen in a while during his limited stretch in the Dub....if he would have played the entire season, he would have led the entire CHL in scoring by a wide margin....

Now that were through the first round of the WHL playoffs, guess whos at the top, yep you guessed right, Brayden Schenn....(right behind fellow Kings prospect Linden Vey of course)

I think his season has been one of the best all around, top to bottom seasons weve seen from a prospect who has jumped around as much as he had in many many years....

Did anyone else lol hard at that?

They were drafted in the same year, Bernier 11th overall, Reimer 99th. Bernier has played less games than Reimer, has a lower winning percentage, lower save percentage, higher GAA, AND bernier is on a much better team.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm happy for Rundblad for his progress, but I absolutely can not believe they have him rated higher than Tarasenko.

Lots of drugs.

He is going to be ridiculous at producing points, but he is a mess in his own end. Not below average, an absolute mess.

Because Tarasenko has really shown that he is a better talent than Rundblad? Rundblad is defensively responsible. He makes mistakes, but he isn't as bad as say Karlsson has been. Maybe it's putting up 19 points (compared to 24 last year) in 42 games in the KHL versus Rundblad's 50 points in 55 games.

Oh right, I forgot, one good tournament and people overrate prospects to hell and back.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Because Tarasenko has really shown that he is a better talent than Rundblad? Rundblad is defensively responsible. He makes mistakes, but he isn't as bad as say Karlsson has been. Maybe it's putting up 19 points (compared to 24 last year) in 42 games in the KHL versus Rundblad's 50 points in 55 games.

Oh right, I forgot, one good tournament and people overrate prospects to hell and back.

Karlsson has been pretty strong before he got injured. He's also not playing against the top players in the world..in the playoffs, he wasn't even playing against the oppositions top players in the SEL.

People that say he'll never learn are just as funny, we won't know that til we see how he reacts to getting slammed in the media for careless defensive play, he won't be "Magic Number 7" in Ottawa right away. Karlsson adapted pretty quick, Rundblad's just a risk taker in the same way, and he gets burnt...Karlsson learned, now it's just about growing and experience for him, and some other small polish points.

Metalownall

Oct 8, 2008
Quebec city

This isn't all about the stats.. Tarasenko has had a very good season while playing with a professionnal league. He has a bigger role in the organisation than last year and plays in every situation. I heard his team is a lot worse than last year though. Not saying him or Rundblad should be ranked higher, the HF's top-50 isnt an exact science, far from that, but just saying than both prospects has been awesome.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'm happy for Rundblad for his progress, but I absolutely can not believe they have him rated higher than Tarasenko.

Lots of drugs.

He is going to be ridiculous at producing points, but he is a mess in his own end. Not below average, an absolute mess.

loooooool you honestly can't see why Rundblad is rated higher? my god just look at his stats this year they are disgusting and his defense is an "absolute mess" from what i hear. He definitly needs to work on being too risky in his own zone but that will come with age

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
He's not even gonna be 20 for another 6 months.

The definition of "old" on this board is ridiculous. He's not even old in prospect terms.

A year older than the 3 guys I mentioned...

Edit: Drafted 1 year earlier, but a minimum of 3 months older. He's a year ahead of the other guys developmentally.

Last edited:

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Bernier at 3 is ridiculous...Still not a #1, and he was drafted in 2006 right? And nothing against Schenn, but aren't people projecting him to be a really good #2 guy to Kopitar? I just think some of the other guys mentioned have the potential to be stars, namely Tarasenko, El Nino, and RJ. I have a strong feeling that in the next couple of years we'll be laughing at this list.

Schenn could very well be a star first center, doesnt mean he sucks and is overrated since hes behind Kopitar. And very few goalies become number ones so easy.

Beerfest*

So Erixon sets the record for SEL points in a single year for junior d-man. the Hockey News has him ranked in the top 20 and HF doesnt have him in the top 50..lol ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Anyone else other than me curious as to why Bernier, now going on 5 years after he was drafted and not having made a significant impact in the NHL, is ranked #3, still?

Of the 2010 class, I'd put Johansen, Nino, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Gudbranson and maybe Gormley in the top 20, not those guys plus five other decent prospects.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
So Erixon sets the record for SEL points in a single year for junior d-man. the Hockey News has him ranked in the top 20 and HF doesnt have him in the top 50..lol ok.

i'm unclear as to what record you are referring to. His teammate who is from the same draft year and is 4 months apart in age doubled him in points.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
But what's nice about Bernier is that his career arc has been surprisingly constant. Showed a lot of potential, was drafted at 11th in 2006, then dragged Lewiston single-handedly in the Mem Cup (one of the best Q playoff performances of the last decade). Moved up to the AHL, struggled for a couple years, then dominated, dragging underdog Manchester into the AHL semi-finals. Moved up to the NHL as a backup, struggled in his first few starts, then found his groove in the last few months. It's an impressive resume that inspires confidence in his abilities and in his NHL future.
******** explanation.

James Reimer has much better numbers and while I'm at it, where's Al Montoya on that list ?? Him too !

Beerfest*

i'm unclear as to what record you are referring to. His teammate who is from the same draft year and is 4 months apart in age doubled him in points.

While they may only be 5 months apart, Erixon was considered a Junior this year, while Rundblad was not. (Erixon born in 1991, Rundblad born in 1990)

Erixon set the record for SEL Junior d-men with 24 regular season points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad