WHL well represented at the top of HF's ranking of the Top 50 NHL prospects

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I was not questioning Runblad's ranking, I was questioning how Erixon does not land in the top 50 especially in relation to Runblad's ranking.

I also dont see how Brendan Smith, John Merill, Jonathan Blum or Nick Leddy are any better of a prospect than Erixon considering the progression he has shown since his draft year and playing in a professional league for three years now at the age of 19.

actually, i agree with the list. i think all of those are better prospects than Erixon.

but maybe i'm being a USA homer :)

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
He's the same age as Reimer with less impressive numbers. Obviously the HF writers dropped the ball on not adding Reimer earlier(and we heard the explanation), but even then I wouldn't expect him to be near #3.

Heck, they even mention Berniers NHL numbers and experience as the reason he went from 6 to 3.

Reimer - .922 // 36 games - 20-9-5 // 2.55 GAA
Bernier - .913 // 25 games - 11-8-3 // 2.48 GAA

I expect to see future allstars in the top 3.

What was the explanation? I found it outrageous he was not even in the top 50, I honestly thought he was going to be in the top 10 and behind Bernier? Wow...

And where is Colborne...?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
So kids what have we learned today?

A back-up on a good team is better than a team's MVP goalie of the season.

I understand the explanation but..no way in hell does Bernier go top 3.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
He's not a #1 yet because he's fighting for starts with Jonathan Quick, one of the most underrated starters in the NHL.

Bernier has a 11-8-3 record with a 0.913SV% and a 2.48GAA is very solid for a rookie. He's 22 years old and still isn't a starter? Definition of bust

I never said he was a bust. I just think he's being way over rated. Top 20? Sure. But to say he's better than everyone but RJ and Schenn just isn't right. I think he'll be a solid goalie, but who's to say Quick lets him have over 30 games any time soon?

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
I came here to post the same confusion over Bernier being #3 on the list and Reimer not registering on the radar. Not only does Reimer have better stats this season, they have pretty similar stats in years previous as they developed. The only difference between the two is that Bernier got more press and played in the WJC years ago.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I'm trying to figure which player from my favorite team I should be outraged about since that's where this thread is heading.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
So kids what have we learned today?

A back-up on a good team is better than a team's MVP goalie of the season.

I understand the explanation but..no way in hell does Bernier go top 3.

Reimer hasn't been on the radar long enough, with goalies you never know, that's why I always prefer they aren't on these lists at all. Goalies should have a separate list.

And holy, what's with these Leafs avatars?

hdtrax

haha wow I posted this as my prediction in the other thread, in no particular order:

Brayden Schenn
Mikael Granlund
Ryan Johansen
Nino Niederreiter
David Rundblad
Vladimir Tarasenko
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Johnathan Bernier
OEL
Brett Connolly

And boom goes the dynamite.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I came here to post the same confusion over Bernier being #3 on the list and Reimer not registering on the radar. Not only does Reimer have better stats this season, they have pretty similar stats in years previous as they developed. The only difference between the two is that Bernier got more press and played in the WJC years ago.

Reimer hasn't been around long enough so at least it's understandable. There are worse glaring errors in the list than Reimer's absence.

Still, no list is going to be perfect. I'd say THN's recent list is a better one than this list though.

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
I wouldn't mind hearing why Erixon is nowhere to be found. I don't think he was top 10 worthy - but to omit him completely seems like a huge oversight and simply lends credibility to the theory that Flames prospects are not well covered on this site.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I wouldn't mind hearing why Erixon is nowhere to be found. I don't think he was top 10 worthy - but to omit him completely seems like a huge oversight and simply lends credibility to the theory that Flames prospects are not well covered on this site.

It's kinda been a while since the Flames have had anyone worth covering though, seriously. I could basically say the same thing about Ottawa, exception Karlsson. The Muckler days were ugly for prospects.

No one would have bawked at Erixon 10-20 though.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It's kinda been a while since the Flames have had anyone worth covering though, seriously. I could basically say the same thing about Ottawa, exception Karlsson. The Muckler days were ugly for prospects.

Erixon is the only Flames prospect who should be on the list. Brodie is their next best prospect, but he'd be somewhere in the 50-100 range.

But I don't think there's any doubt that Erixon should have been in the top 50.

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005

No question – and as another poster says – there’s no other prospect that merits being in the top 50 (though I think Irving has staged a nice rebound season and is back on track). I would have likely slotted Erixon in somewhere 15-25 but even if he had been #50 so be it.

I don’t believe that HF has any bias towards the Flames specifically, however, I do believe certain organization tend to get better coverage and more favourable rankings based on the size of their community here.

Regardless, lists are fun because they generate debate. What really matters is actually what happens on the ice and if Erixon turns into a solid dman for Calgary no one will really care he was ranked in the top 50.

Ogopogo*

I expected Calvin Pickard to get a mention in the top 50. I guess that's what happens when you are tending goal on a bad team.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nice to see Rundblad get some real recognition. I won't complain about the list. There are some people that should be on it that didn't make it, but it's a tough list to compile considering.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
I'm trying to figure which player from my favorite team I should be outraged about since that's where this thread is heading.
I can't get outraged by a list that is as ridiculously absurd as this one.
Reimer hasn't been around long enough so at least it's understandable. There are worse glaring errors in the list than Reimer's absence.

Still, no list is going to be perfect. I'd say THN's recent list is a better one than this list though.

So Bernier gets third overall based on celebrity?

I don't doubt there are more lousy projections, but due to their similar stats and age, and yet Reimer's supperior performance at the highest level, it makes it all the more obvious.

Last edited:

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles

Bernier is #3 because he deserves to be....remember, this is about trying to project who will have the most successful NHL career and right now Bernier has proved that he will be an All Star caliber goalie for many years....

Also, to the person that said Schenn should be lower because hes projected to play behind Kopitar, go look at the numbers hes put up this year and tell me if there is a single person you put above him....

If your in your right mind, hes a no brainer for #1.....

PPG in the AHL when he was up there....

Tied the record for the most points EVER by a Canadian player in the WJC....

Put up some of the most ridiculous numbers weve seen in a while during his limited stretch in the Dub....if he would have played the entire season, he would have led the entire CHL in scoring by a wide margin....

Now that were through the first round of the WHL playoffs, guess whos at the top, yep you guessed right, Brayden Schenn....(right behind fellow Kings prospect Linden Vey of course)

I think his season has been one of the best all around, top to bottom seasons weve seen from a prospect who has jumped around as much as he had in many many years....

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
What was the explanation? I found it outrageous he was not even in the top 50, I honestly thought he was going to be in the top 10 and behind Bernier? Wow...

And where is Colborne...?

List was done, or mostly planned out, before Reimer was called up. They writers acknowledged his play but felt that if they reevaluated Reimer and placed him on the list than it would only be fair to do it for everyone else which would take long and the list would never be put out. But Reimer's acknowledgment will be clear in the Top 20 updates apparently.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
List was done, or mostly planned out, before Reimer was called up. They writers acknowledged his play but felt that if they reevaluated Reimer and placed him on the list than it would only be fair to do it for everyone else which would take long and the list would never be put out. But Reimer's acknowledgment will be clear in the Top 20 updates apparently.

That makes sense and its a more than acceptable explanation

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
Bernier is #3 because he deserves to be....remember, this is about trying to project who will have the most successful NHL career and right now Bernier has proved that he will be an All Star caliber goalie for many years....

And what has Bernier done that makes you think that he'll be a better goalie than Reimer?

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
What makes him think he can steal Quick's job, and be an all star...As far as Schenn goes, he's older, is put in a number one position in the world juniors, and RJ was playing on the second line and was dominant. AND as I posted earlier, he'll be centering Rick Nash, which pretty much guarantees him to produce at a high level. I'm not saying either won't be great players, but they're older than everyone else, and won't get as good of a situation to play in like RJ, Tarasenko, and El Nino will.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
no Erixon whatsoever?.. HF isn't doing the Flames prospects any justice

Hooch314

Mar 16, 2008
I'm happy for Rundblad for his progress, but I absolutely can not believe they have him rated higher than Tarasenko.

Lots of drugs.

He is going to be ridiculous at producing points, but he is a mess in his own end. Not below average, an absolute mess.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm happy for Rundblad for his progress, but I absolutely can not believe they have him rated higher than Tarasenko.

Lots of drugs.

He is going to be ridiculous at producing points, but he is a mess in his own end. Not below average, an absolute mess.

I bet you are :laugh:

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010

Lots of drugs.

Rundblad owned by St. Louis is not the same Rundblad owned by Ottawa. From all accounts he has been average defensively but nothing terrible. I'll easily accept his defense if it's anything like Karlsson's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad