WHL Update: 10 Thoughts Through 10 Games

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Prince Albert, Saskatoon, Medicine Hat and Edmonton out East. Kamloops, Everett, Portland out West.

Maybe Kelowna can get there. But contender wise, there sure isn't really a whole lot of talk about them.

Basran has had a good start, Foote needs a number 1 centerman on his line. Because the past 9 games head to head, he has been invisible against Kamloops.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Saskatoon is going to need a hell of a lot more in terms of forwards in order to be a contender. Obviously, if Dach were to get sent down that would be one hell of a step towards improving that group.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Edmonton, Calgary, PA out east, possibly Med Hat as well. Tigers have a decent record, and depth, as well as a ton of 19/20's, but they have been handled rather easily so far by both EDM and CGY, so they need to show something against those two teams to prove they are legit contenders IMO.

Lethbridge has played really well so far too, but they will have to punch well above their weight class to go anywhere in the playoffs, if they make it.

Problem for them is they have a young team, which would normally bode well for the future but they will likely lose Cozens after his 18 yo season, and Addison after his 19 yo season (both after this season) which partially negates the benefit of having such a young roster.

They are also looking like a pretty good bet for a wild card spot too, so trading those two players for futures would kind of be a slap in the face to the fans.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Prince Albert, Saskatoon, Medicine Hat and Edmonton out East. Kamloops, Everett, Portland out West.

Maybe Kelowna can get there. But contender wise, there sure isn't really a whole lot of talk about them.

Basran has had a good start, Foote needs a number 1 centerman on his line. Because the past 9 games head to head, he has been invisible against Kamloops.

I agree as I don't see Kelowna as a contender and really I'm not even sure when they makes trades if they will be a legit one.

An interesting team to watch is Winnipeg with Krebs when he comes back from injury.

Mind you don't see them going far with that carousel of goaltenders.

Definitely a team to watch for next year though.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Good discussion. I agree that Kelowna is at least a couple significant pieces short of a contender right now.

I like Calgary (once they get another vet goalie), Edmonton and Medicine Hat above the East Division teams right now, but if Saskatoon gets Dach back, then the Blades would be right there with whoever comes out of the Central. I think Prince Albert is overachieving a bit thus far and Brandon is underachieving (but may not be as good as I envisioned). I don't think Lethbridge and Winnipeg quite measure up in that conference, but I could be wrong.

In the Western Conference, Everett is going strong again and Fonstad was a nice addition there. Spokane and Portland are both dangerous in that division. B.C. is looking like a three-horse race. Vancouver is probably still the team to beat there come playoffs, but Kamloops is killing it so far and Kelowna will only get better after the deadline.

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
Thanks Larry for another great piece about the league. Quite funny that the sentiment around here is that Kelowna is not a contender yet they seem quite capable of holding their own against any team not named Kamloops lol.

Reactions: wetcoast

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Thanks Larry for another great piece about the league. Quite funny that the sentiment around here is that Kelowna is not a contender yet they seem quite capable of holding their own against any team not named Kamloops lol.

They lost to Victoria, lost to Prince George, barely beat Swift Current...….I dunno, for me they don't worry me the slightest like they have in the past.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Out of the Rockets 9 wins, 7 of them have been against .500 or worse teams. Yikes. I think Brucey picked the wrong time to host a Memorial Cup. Foote is disappears, as does Hamaliuk. Topping is injured, but is under a point per game. Adam Foote as coach I really am not that impressed with. You can add all the superstars you want, but chemistry is what's important and there definitely isn't that much with what SHOULD BE a contender.

Reactions: wetcoast

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
Starting to look like maybe they should have hired a real coach and not Bruce's buddy lol.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
Kelowna not looking very good. Yeesh at this rate, they're going to get murdered at the Memorial Cup.

What are the hosts like in recent history?

Clearly they don't pick a host city based on their competitiveness... Is it fair to except a host city to finish at the top of the league?
I know they usually trade away everything they can... Has Kelowna not done this this year?

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012

Clearly they don't pick a host city based on their competitiveness... Is it fair to except a host city to finish at the top of the league?
I know they usually trade away everything they can... Has Kelowna not done this this year?

They have. They've traded every 1st round pick up until 2023 except 2020. If you have to make that many changes, kind of shows that maybe you aren't capable at being a competitive resperesentitive of the WHL.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

The last 2 host teams have been in the Championship game, Halifax and Regina.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver

2019 - Halifax finished 1st in their division (49-15-2-2) in the Regular Season and lost in 6 Games to the QMJHL champs Rouyn-Noranda and lost the Memorial Cup Final to them as well.
2018 - Regina lost in the Memoria Cup final to Acadie-Bathhurst. They finished 3rd in their division (40-26-5) and lost in first round to WHL Champion Swift Current.
2017 - Windsor Spitfires won the Memorial Cup against the OHL Champion Erie Otters after finishing 2nd in their division (41-19-5-3) and losing to London in the first round of the playoffs.
2016 - Red Deer Rebels lost in the semi-final of the Memorial Cup. They finished second in the division by one point (45-21-1-2)and lost to WHL Champions Brandon in the Western Conference final.
2015 - Quebec Remparts lost in the semi-final of the Memorial Cup. They finished second in the division (40-25-1-2) ad lost the QMJHL Final in game 7.

In the last 5 years, the worst host team at the Memorial Cup had 25 regular season losses and was 15 wins over .500. The Rockets have 30 games left in the regular season with a 21-14-1-2 record. They *should* get more wins in the 2nd half. But, I can't see them being better than the Remparts.

I did think the Blazers who applied to host were more deserving as far as on-ice competition went. But, Kelowna clearly rewarded more recent on-ice success.

I still hold the dream of Kamloops knocking Kelowna out of the WHL playoffs and winning the Mem. Cup on their ice, though. ;)

Reactions: e14

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
2019 - Halifax finished 1st in their division (49-15-2-2) in the Regular Season and lost in 6 Games to the QMJHL champs Rouyn-Noranda and lost the Memorial Cup Final to them as well.
2018 - Regina lost in the Memoria Cup final to Acadie-Bathhurst. They finished 3rd in their division (40-26-5) and lost in first round to WHL Champion Swift Current.
2017 - Windsor Spitfires won the Memorial Cup against the OHL Champion Erie Otters after finishing 2nd in their division (41-19-5-3) and losing to London in the first round of the playoffs.
2016 - Red Deer Rebels lost in the semi-final of the Memorial Cup. They finished second in the division by one point (45-21-1-2)and lost to WHL Champions Brandon in the Western Conference final.
2015 - Quebec Remparts lost in the semi-final of the Memorial Cup. They finished second in the division (40-25-1-2) ad lost the QMJHL Final in game 7.

In the last 5 years, the worst host team at the Memorial Cup had 25 regular season losses and was 15 wins over .500. The Rockets have 30 games left in the regular season with a 21-14-1-2 record. They *should* get more wins in the 2nd half. But, I can't see them being better than the Remparts.

I did think the Blazers who applied to host were more deserving as far as on-ice competition went. But, Kelowna clearly rewarded more recent on-ice success.

I still hold the dream of Kamloops knocking Kelowna out of the WHL playoffs and winning the Mem. Cup on their ice, though. ;)

It looks mighty good on Bruce. 12 of their 21 wins have been against under .500 teams. The Blazers didn't play the best game last night, and still dominated most of the game.

On paper the Rockets have a very good looking team, but games aren't played on paper. They could be a pretty awful host. I don't even think they can win a playoff round.

Adam Foote I've said it before, I'll say it again.....is out of his league as a head coach at this level.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Rockets sinking and sinking and sinking. Even if they ever get a full line-up, they don't have the chops this season. That's IF they make the playoffs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Rockets sinking and sinking and sinking. Even if they ever get a full line-up, they don't have the chops this season. That's IF they make the playoffs.

Pretty much everyone knew this season that the Rockets are probably going to be one of the weakest Memorial cup teams in quite a while.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Well now the Giants have pulled their heads out of their asses, throw in Victoria, Kamloops, the Rockets are dust.

It amazes me so many people saw it coming, but the genius himself Mr.Hamilton.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
Well now the Giants have pulled their heads out of their asses, throw in Victoria, Kamloops, the Rockets are dust.

It amazes me so many people saw it coming, but the genius himself Mr.Hamilton.

Maybe he saw it too... But what else could he have done?

Did he not trade enough? Did he make had trades? Did he miss out on one?.. Lassie Thompson was a big hit he had to deal with.
Curious about your thoughts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->