WHL transactions

arsmaster*

Portland with another fishy deal.#moneytalks

Interested to know what makes that deal fishy.

----

I totally agree with you on the Brandon-Lethbridge trade though. That's horrible, reminds me of my fantasy hockey league where there was a guy who was a little "slower" than the others who got reamed over and over and didn't know any better.

Oct 15, 2008
Interested to know what makes that deal fishy.

----

I totally agree with you on the Brandon-Lethbridge trade though. That's horrible, reminds me of my fantasy hockey league where there was a guy who was a little "slower" than the others who got reamed over and over and didn't know any better.

I know this is his last year and all, but he was their #1C I believe. On a pretty good Tiger team. And they trade him for what? A fourth round pick? Doesnt seem like a lot tbh.

As for Portland, draft shmaft. What do they care about picks? They just mysteriously poach top end talent off other teams year after year, as well as somehow attracting college kids to come to their program. You dont see a lot of other teams doing this to the extent they do it. In fact, you dont see ANY other teams doing it to the extent they are doing it.

I gotta ask why that is? Is there a plausible explanation? Year after year, over and over again? It doesn't feel right. There's something else going on. Theyre buying these kids. They are buying their parents. They are paying off other teams etc. That really is the only reasonable explanation. This has been common knowledge throughout the league for years now, but somehow all they can "officially" come up with proof of is some airline tickets.

Why do you think they came down so hard on Portland for such a seemingly minor infraction? Because they know that's just the tip of the iceberg but they cant "prove" anything else so they throw the book at them for the minor infraction they can prove.

arsmaster*

I know this is his last year and all, but he was their #1C I believe. On a pretty good Tiger team. And they trade him for what? A fourth round pick? Doesnt seem like a lot tbh.

As for Portland, draft shmaft. What do they care about picks? They just mysteriously poach top end talent off other teams year after year, as well as somehow attracting college kids to come to their program. You dont see a lot of other teams doing this to the extent they do it. In fact, you dont see ANY other teams doing it to the extent they are doing it.

I gotta ask why that is? Is there a plausible explanation? Year after year, over and over again? It doesn't feel right. There's something else going on. Theyre buying these kids. They are buying their parents. They are paying off other teams etc. That really is the only reasonable explanation. This has been common knowledge throughout the league for years now, but somehow all they can "officially" come up with proof of is some airline tickets.

Why do you think they came down so hard on Portland for such a seemingly minor infraction? Because they know that's just the tip of the iceberg but they cant "prove" anything else so they throw the book at them for the minor infraction they can prove.

I hadn't seen the Tigers this year, but Koules, while a good player, I don't think fit into the age range they want in Medicine Hat and they have some very promising 1st year players that need the ice time. I don't seen anything fishy with that deal.

The other Portland stuff is definitely fishy, but this deal doesn't strike me as such. They came down hard on more than "air line tickets", I believe paying cell phone bills was also one of the infractions.

They're definitely selling kids and parents on something, I'm not sure if they're buying them though. You'd think that would be easy to prove. Seeing what's happening to them now, I think the picks or lacktherof are starting to matter.

Either way, I don't have a team that I really support in the WHL. I watch the Victoria Royals most, because as an Islander they're the only team I can watch live semi-regularly. I'm just a fan of good hockey. Portland's been providing that for a while now, and I'm not sure how much of that is due to shadiness. Johansen/Nino/Ross didn't seem bought, nor did Rattie/Leipsic/Baertschi or Pouliot/Petan/Bjorkstrand/Rutkowski. There is defintely some shade to that, but the Royals also have tons of American players on their roster and the Giants do too to a lesser extent.

I think there is more collusion/shadiness to the Brandon/Lethbridge deals made the last two seasons. Those IMO effect the balance and competitiveness of the league even more.

arsmaster*

Winterhawks not happy with their tending, trade for OA Bolton Pouliot.

Not a good sign for Burke, might lose the net again.

Oct 15, 2008
Didnt see the game but the Wheaties hung ten on them tonight. Must be bigger problems there than just goaltending. They gave up almost fifty shots to boot. I dont get it. Still lots of star power left in Portland.

Could it be coaching?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Didnt see the game but the Wheaties hung ten on them tonight. Must be bigger problems there than just goaltending. They gave up almost fifty shots to boot. I dont get it. Still lots of star power left in Portland.

Could it be coaching?

Their defensive play has been horrid. Think Edmonton Oilers, two players left alone in the slot, horrid.

Like the Oilers, I don't care how many flashy forwards you add (and the Hawks have a few), if you don't play sound defense you won't win many games.

Not sure if it's coaching or just poor defensive players, but Johnston looks like a big loss.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Rebels Acquire Sandhu From Silvertips

crop_2573727_27_1413835834.jpeg

RED DEER, AB – Brent Sutter, General Manager/Head Coach of the Red Deer Rebels Hockey Club, announced today a trade with the Everett Silvertips. The Rebels have acquired 18-year old forward Tyler Sandhu in exchange for a 4th round selection (originally Regina Pats pick) in the 2015 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft and a 4th round selection in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft.

Sandhu is in his third season in the Western Hockey League. He has played in 120 games, all with the Silvertips, scoring 33 goals and 31 assists for 64 points.

Sandhu was a Portland Winterhawks 2nd round selection in the 2011 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

Tyler Sandhu

DOB: January 7, 1996

Hometown: Richmond, BC

HT: 5’10â€

WT: 180lbs

Shoots: Right

Photo Credit: Christopher Mast

http://www.reddeerrebels.com/article/rebels-acquire-sandhu-from-silvertips

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Wheat Kings trade Richard Nejezchleb to Tri City for a 3rd rounder in both 2015 and 2017.

Steal for the Americans but Brandon didn't have any other option. Wishing Nejezchleb the best of luck! :nod:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Wheat Kings trade Richard Nejezchleb to Tri City for a 3rd rounder in both 2015 and 2017.

Steal for the Americans but Brandon didn't have any other option. Wishing Nejezchleb the best of luck! :nod:

I wouldn't call it a steal.

I like the deal for both teams. While TC is getting a 1st-line player, Brandon got two decent assets.

Those assets are actually pretty good considering their back was against the wall and teams knew they were going to HAVE to deal one of their guys.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
While not a trade, Greg Chase requested a trade today and has returned home after being a healthy scratch in Calgary.

Any idea where he might end up? I'd love him in Edmonton, but I'm doubtful of that.

takehisheadoff

Nov 2, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
While not a trade, Greg Chase requested a trade today and has returned home after being a healthy scratch in Calgary.

Any idea where he might end up? I'd love him in Edmonton, but I'm doubtful of that.

I work out of Calgary and go to as many Hitmen games as I can while there. Why would he be a healthy scratch? He is their best player. For a guy who went in the 7th round he is an all star. Any team would take that guy as a player. Does he have off ice issues?

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I work out of Calgary and go to as many Hitmen games as I can while there. Why would he be a healthy scratch? He is their best player. For a guy who went in the 7th round he is an all star. Any team would take that guy as a player. Does he have off ice issues?

My guess is there are a few WHL teams trying to find out what happened with Chase and why he fell out of favor with the Hitmen. Teams such as Kelowna, Red Deer Medcine Hat, Everett and Brandon. If he wasn't a trouble maker in the dressing room he would be a good addition to any of these teams.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It's pretty well known that Chase has the type of personality that can eventually wear on people. That comes across on the ice too. Why do you think he was only a 7th round pick?

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Could see the Rockets taking a chance on him. They did with Myles Bell and it worked out quite well and Hamilton does not put up with and BS from his players. Depending on what happened to make him quit on his team I would not be shocked.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
Could see the Rockets taking a chance on him. They did with Myles Bell and it worked out quite well and Hamilton does not put up with and BS from his players. Depending on what happened to make him quit on his team I would not be shocked.

Chase asked for a trade, but he didn't quit the team - management sent him home. His teammates still like him and have been told that they are not to discuss him.

I'm thinking Calgary might not trade him for a month. Seems like this whole issue has gotten petty upstairs.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Chase asked for a trade, but he didn't quit the team - management sent him home. His teammates still like him and have been told that they are not to discuss him.

I'm thinking Calgary might not trade him for a month. Seems like this whole issue has gotten petty upstairs.

What do you think the asking price would be?

Always wanting to see the Wheat Kings get a little more powerful ;)

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Last week, the Winterhawks released Bolton Pouliot.

Michael Boullion gets good games against Kelowna and Edmonton the previous weekend, looks like he's on a roll... and gets sent to Wenatchee this week as Brendan Burke has returned.

I can see which deal trumps what here.

SnipeTopCheese

Apr 11, 2010
Western Canada
Calgary traded the talented junior Greg Chase to the Victoria Royals late Wednesday night for 19-year-old Calgary Flames prospect Keegan Kanzig and a second-round pick in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft.

Also going to the Royals in the trade is a fifth-round pick in ’15 and an eighth-round selection in ’16.
Calgary Sun

Also in trade news Blades have traded 19 year old Cory Millette to the Prince Albert Raiders for a 2016 5th round draft pick.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sounds like the Raiders are demanding a lot for Morrissey since the Hitmen went out and acquired Kanzig. I predicted that Calgary was looking for a defensmen to play alongside Sanheim or increase their depth and now they got him (personally speaking, I value Kanzig very little, got drafted just do to his size IMO).

SnipeTopCheese

Apr 11, 2010
Western Canada
Sounds like the Raiders are demanding a lot for Morrissey since the Hitmen went out and acquired Kanzig. I predicted that Calgary was looking for a defensmen to play alongside Sanheim or increase their depth and now they got him (personally speaking, I value Kanzig very little, got drafted just do to his size IMO).

I don't think you'll see Morrissey delt til around the deadline if he is traded.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
What WHL teams will make a splash at the trade deadline? I can't see the Wheat Kings making a huge deal since they are still on the rise.

Also Not sure what teams will be in selling mode and give up on the Playoffs? Portland, Prince Albertor Kootney

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Kootaney I think could trade for Morrissey, they have Reinhart and Deschaneau. Nobody in the WHL has the value to trade for Reinhart, he'd probably get a Brayden Schenn like deal.

Still hopeful Morrissey ends up in Kelowna.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->