WHL Top 20 prospects

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Haha, three for three.. lovely..

Carey Price and Ryan White in the top 10.. and Ben Maxwell as a notable. I love our scouts.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Haha, three for three.. lovely..

Carey Price and Ryan White in the top 10.. and Ben Maxwell as a notable. I love our scouts.

And Maxwell should've been top 20. Was on top of the the scorers list before getting hurt....

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Good article-Thanks for the info

That is amazing!! -50 NHL drafted players currently playing in the WHL. I had no idea there were so many.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good read. I hate to be one of the crowd to bicker, but how come Hamill didn't even make it in the huge list of notables?

Last edited:

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Franson #2? I see this guy play all the time and I'd put him at about #17 on that list, he simply has way too many holes in his defensive game. Solid list otherwise though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kind of an odd list.

As a list of the best players in the WHL (forgetting NHL potential), it isn't horrible, although there would be several notable names missing, starting with Ray Macias and Colton Yellowhorn.

As a list of prospects based on NHL potential ... it couldn't be much more random. ECHL-level overage players like Wacey Rabbit ranked ahead of sure-fire '07 #1 picks. Canucks' '06 #1 pick Grabner rated behind Canuck undrafted camp invite Bartley. And on and on.

And the WHL leading scorer in Hamill belongs high on this list somewhere no matter how you slice it.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Kind of an odd list.

As a list of the best players in the WHL (forgetting NHL potential), it isn't horrible, although there would be several notable names missing, starting with Ray Macias and Colton Yellowhorn.

As a list of prospects based on NHL potential ... it couldn't be much more random. ECHL-level overage players like Wacey Rabbit ranked ahead of sure-fire '07 #1 picks. Canucks' '06 #1 pick Grabner rated behind Canuck undrafted camp invite Bartley. And on and on.

And the WHL leading scorer in Hamill belongs high on this list somewhere no matter how you slice it.

My thoughts exactly. The list makes more sense as a 'top players' more than a 'top prospects' list.

I'm not sure the intentions, however figuring that HF is a 'prospects site', you have to figure it is measuring potential. If that is the case I agree with your analysis.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
It would be really interesting to have the WHL coaches choose their top 20 prospects, and tell them they can only pick one of their own players, the other 19 have to come from other teams....

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Canucks' '06 #1 pick Grabner rated behind Canuck undrafted camp invite Bartley. And on and on.
The Canucks invited Mitch Bartley, Victor is his younger brother, which I think he wasn't invited to the Canucks camp.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thats a pretty terrible list. There is no way Franson is a better prospect than Price at this point, McCardle is not a better prospect than Grabner....and no Maxwell op 20? Come on Aaron...

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Assuming this is a prospects list, it is VERY strange. Aaron Gagnon and Wacey Rabbit are barely NHL prospects at all, nevermind among the top 20 in the entire WHL. Kris Russel a better prospect than Karl Alzner? Darren Helm before Grabner, Setoguchi, etc? A defenseman who went undrafted... twice... in Dave Schlemko has better pro potential than Michael Sauer? Victor Bartley too? (I should point out that I actually like both Schlemko and Bartley as decent NHL prospects and was a little surprised that they both went undrafted, but ultimately that does not bode well for their future as pros). None of potential first round picks in the upcoming draft Blum, Hickey, Ross, Ellerby, Hamill, even Repik even listed as other notables? After #1, this list really starts getting weird...

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Okay, since I ripped this list pretty good, I figured I better make one myself. It is only in approximate order, and I put it together in about 5 minutes, so it isn't exactly full of careful thought. Also, I don't see the Eastern Conference that much, so it's harder for me to rank some of those players. And lastly, I was away for the first half of the season, so I have only seen some of these players THIS year... the rest is based on what I hear and read. Anyway, here is an approximate top something list.

Mueller
Price
Alzner
Franson
Hanzal
Ellerby (not my favourite, but everyone else seems to like him a whole lot)
Wishart
Irving
Sauer (I think this guy has pro written all over him, but I haven't seen him this season)
Blum
Setoguchi (disappointing season so far)
Grabner
Hamill
White
Negrin
Burki
Ross
Repik
McArdle (seems to have regressed a lot offensively since last season)
Maxwell
Hickey (I loved him last year, but from what I hear he hasn't had a good year)
Mikkelson (major lack of hockey sense, but his skating is just amazing)
Kohn
T. Plante
Lucic (I am tempted to put him higher after what I have seen this year)
K. Russel
Dupont
Mucha
Fiala
Calla (not a lot of offense, but good work ethic and great skating make him a decent prospect)
Jackson

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Assuming this is a prospects list, it is VERY strange. Aaron Gagnon and Wacey Rabbit are barely NHL prospects at all, nevermind among the top 20 in the entire WHL. Kris Russel a better prospect than Karl Alzner? Darren Helm before Grabner, Setoguchi, etc? A defenseman who went undrafted... twice... in Dave Schlemko has better pro potential than Michael Sauer? Victor Bartley too? (I should point out that I actually like both Schlemko and Bartley as decent NHL prospects and was a little surprised that they both went undrafted, but ultimately that does not bode well for their future as pros). None of potential first round picks in the upcoming draft Blum, Hickey, Ross, Ellerby, Hamill, even Repik even listed as other notables? After #1, this list really starts getting weird...

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I don't see anything wrong with that.

I have a lot of difficulty seeing someone of Russel's size build and strength handling NHL forwards. I simply think he isn't strong enough, and doesn't have the frame to add enough strength. I also think quite highly of Alzner, who seems to be a stud in the making. Of course I could be wrong.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Good to see Hobson getting a mention. I haven't seen much information on him since he was drafted.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

That list excluded draft eligibles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->