WHL Rule?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Are you allowed to wear Jersey numbers over 40-50?

Just because RNH wore 9 for the Rebels, and 93 with the Oilers. But in Bantam he wore 93.

But in Everett Mueller and Nikolishin wore 88 and 89, and portland Pouliot wears 51.

Only few I noticed that had numbers over 40, which was Portland and Everett, otherwise no teams really go higher than 40. But in the OHL and QMJHL they do. And I know New Jersey is the only NHL team where you cannot choose a number above 40, unless you played 500+ games wearing the number like Jagr, Gilmour, Trotter, Howatt, Mogilny and Richer.

Edit: Thought it was Pouliot who wore 55, but it wasn't.

Last edited:

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
I think it's just coaches choice or teams choice.

Are you allowed to wear Jersey numbers over 40-50?

Just because RNH wore 9 for the Rebels, and 93 with the Oilers. But in Bantam he wore 93.

But in Everett Mueller and Nikolishin wore 88 and 89, and portland Pouliot wears 55.

Only few I noticed that had numbers over 40, which was Portland and Everett, otherwise no teams really go higher than 40. But in the OHL and QMJHL they do. And I know New Jersey is the only NHL team where you cannot choose a number above 40, unless you played 500+ games wearing the number like Jagr, Gilmour, Trotter, Howatt, Mogilny and Richer.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The WHL has really been pretty odd in this regard, unlike the OHL and QMJHL. There are no specific league-wide rules, mostly just owners, gm's, coaches and trainers who don't like players wearing anything above 40.

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
Marc Habscheid didn't let any player wear a number higher than #29. Goalie exemption of course but other than that, no skater ever wore anything over 29.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00